Leicester
Visit website

DeMontfort University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by puplepixie
Hello

Offer for Bio-Medical science

Congrats! :smile: Likely to be going there?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by k8oxe

Original post by k8oxe
Congrats! :smile: Likely to be going there?

it's between DMU and Notts though not heard from them yet, have 2 more offers from Loughborough which will decline. Which ever I choose I'll commute for a while then move over, just torn on whether I'm happy to go with a little campus at Notts, and have to travel to main campus for activities and such or have the full uni experience which would get at DMU :0/
Word of warning DMU is terrible im currently on computer science, i know some on hnd comuting, year zero computing, computer games programming and a few from criminology, psychology and sociology.. the view is pretty much the same - it is horrendous, the teaching is so terrible i dno how to explain it. the lecturers dont turn up, when they do they are unprepared and the rooms are not adequate for what they teach you, such as no computers or working internet in a computer lecture. Some rooms are small and you sit there squashed in with 200 people, other rooms dont have working speakers so most people will just here a mutter from anywhere over half way (as in anyone at back wont hear). There are alot of lecturers who cannot speak english and u will find these will be your main source of info for coursework or exam prep labs. They seem to take forever in marking coursework and exams - im still waiting for one of mine from week 8, its now week 20, other people have still not got the one from week 5. The lecturers are extremely arrogant and any students who are failing get personally blamed for it, i have seen many people on anti depressants due to the level of neglect and miss treatment when they ask for help or do not do well in a module due to lack of teaching. You will see classes of 200 people drop to less than 80 within a matter of a couple of months and it will not pick back up, by second year it will drop further (i have been on psychology and criminology course where i took ill near last exams and im now on computer science and its no different). People talk in lecturers alot since they do not have a clue whats going on and give up, people just walk out half way too. First year you will get told it doesnt matter if you understand the content only to find out later on you did need to understand it and are now stuck at a crucial point. The student services will pass you on forever and any special learning needs you have will take forever to get diagnosed or get equipment for, my partner has only just been assessed in week 19, ofc she has already failed 2 bits of coursework and although telling them she had reading problems they said so what bring us proof.. sadly she has now failed. I watched most of my mates go from enthusiastic students to alcoholics, druggies and living on tablets to keep them sane, some also developed eating disorders to try and cope (i came from leicester and went college here so i know alot of them - easily over 100 people i know personally others i have met along the way).

If you have other choices i would seriously recomend you put them first, this is not a whinge but i am now stuck here since i used my false start when i took ill and came back, i have no way of leaving or switching Uni's as the content here if rubbish and no other Uni will accept it and put me onto a second year in there course.

Please do not make the mistakes me and my mates have made and try and get out while you can.
I hope you have backup choices and i hope to god you take them or you will struggle immensly psychologically and mentally, you will struggle and no1 will help you, you will find ways to cope and it will only go downwards, eventually you will want to leave and you cannot. All your friends (or most of them) will see its not gona change and leave or switch early on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 303
Got a conditional offer for pharmacy :biggrin:
Original post by amerzeb
Got a conditional offer for pharmacy :biggrin:

Congrats :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by amber-jayne
I have got an interview on 15th Feb for Law and Human rights, has anyone else got one too? Im just wondering what to prepare for, and what questions you think they will asK. :smile:

Hi, I had an interview for straight law a while back and I assume yours will be the same. It really isn’t like a proper interview, more like a chat. I was asked why I want to do law, what areas of law I’m interested in, why I want to go to university (in general not DMU), what I find most difficult about the subjects I'm currently doing and what I like doing in my spare time. There was just one question which I think is designed to make you think and that was, ‘talk about a current issue and the implications of this’, I just babbled on a bit about the economic crisis and the implications being the lack of money, a rise in tuition fees and lack of jobs. I don’t know whether that will be your exact question or not, but just be prepared for one random question. Not that you need to say much, my interviewer stopped me after about 30 seconds, so don’t worry about it.
The whole interview lasted about 10 minutes and it’s all very informal. Good luck :smile:
Reply 306
Congrats :smile:

Thank you and congrats on your offer aswell!
Original post by -Haz-

Original post by -Haz-
Hi, I had an interview for straight law a while back and I assume yours will be the same. It really isn’t like a proper interview, more like a chat. I was asked why I want to do law, what areas of law I’m interested in, why I want to go to university (in general not DMU), what I find most difficult about the subjects I'm currently doing and what I like doing in my spare time. There was just one question which I think is designed to make you think and that was, ‘talk about a current issue and the implications of this’, I just babbled on a bit about the economic crisis and the implications being the lack of money, a rise in tuition fees and lack of jobs. I don’t know whether that will be your exact question or not, but just be prepared for one random question. Not that you need to say much, my interviewer stopped me after about 30 seconds, so don’t worry about it.
The whole interview lasted about 10 minutes and it’s all very informal. Good luck :smile:

Cannot thank you enough for posting this. Read thislast night and quickly prepared myself for the questions, most of which were asked today, so cheers :smile: have you heard back from them yet, and if so how quickly did they contact you? one important question i forgot to ask at the interview today, oops :P xx
Reply 308
Original post by amber-jayne
Cannot thank you enough for posting this. Read thislast night and quickly prepared myself for the questions, most of which were asked today, so cheers :smile: have you heard back from them yet, and if so how quickly did they contact you? one important question i forgot to ask at the interview today, oops :P xx

No problem
Yep I got an offer two days after the interview, so hopefully you’ll hear back within the next few days :smile:
Reply 309
Applied for speech and language therapy :smile: xx
I'm pretty much in here just gotta pass my access course i'm studying English and Film :smile:
Original post by WingL
i got an interview to go in march, Fashion Buying (with Design) :smile:

Hi! ive got an interview in march for same course.. when is yours? really wanna know what happens in the group interview im cackin it! :biggrin:
Reply 312
Congrats To All :smile:
Original post by LaurenBongo
I'm pretty much in here just gotta pass my access course i'm studying English and Film :smile:

Me too, though I'll be studying biomedical science :smile:
Reply 314
Original post by swiftyhorn
Word of warning DMU is terrible im currently on computer science, i know some on hnd comuting, year zero computing, computer games programming and a few from criminology, psychology and sociology.. the view is pretty much the same - it is horrendous, the teaching is so terrible i dno how to explain it. the lecturers dont turn up, when they do they are unprepared and the rooms are not adequate for what they teach you, such as no computers or working internet in a computer lecture. Some rooms are small and you sit there squashed in with 200 people, other rooms dont have working speakers so most people will just here a mutter from anywhere over half way (as in anyone at back wont hear). There are alot of lecturers who cannot speak english and u will find these will be your main source of info for coursework or exam prep labs. They seem to take forever in marking coursework and exams - im still waiting for one of mine from week 8, its now week 20, other people have still not got the one from week 5. The lecturers are extremely arrogant and any students who are failing get personally blamed for it, i have seen many people on anti depressants due to the level of neglect and miss treatment when they ask for help or do not do well in a module due to lack of teaching. You will see classes of 200 people drop to less than 80 within a matter of a couple of months and it will not pick back up, by second year it will drop further (i have been on psychology and criminology course where i took ill near last exams and im now on computer science and its no different). People talk in lecturers alot since they do not have a clue whats going on and give up, people just walk out half way too. First year you will get told it doesnt matter if you understand the content only to find out later on you did need to understand it and are now stuck at a crucial point. The student services will pass you on forever and any special learning needs you have will take forever to get diagnosed or get equipment for, my partner has only just been assessed in week 19, ofc she has already failed 2 bits of coursework and although telling them she had reading problems they said so what bring us proof.. sadly she has now failed. I watched most of my mates go from enthusiastic students to alcoholics, druggies and living on tablets to keep them sane, some also developed eating disorders to try and cope (i came from leicester and went college here so i know alot of them - easily over 100 people i know personally others i have met along the way).

If you have other choices i would seriously recomend you put them first, this is not a whinge but i am now stuck here since i used my false start when i took ill and came back, i have no way of leaving or switching Uni's as the content here if rubbish and no other Uni will accept it and put me onto a second year in there course.

Please do not make the mistakes me and my mates have made and try and get out while you can.
I hope you have backup choices and i hope to god you take them or you will struggle immensly psychologically and mentally, you will struggle and no1 will help you, you will find ways to cope and it will only go downwards, eventually you will want to leave and you cannot. All your friends (or most of them) will see its not gona change and leave or switch early on.

no no no no
(edited 9 years ago)
Me too, though I'll be studying biomedical science :smile:

:biggrin: same as (media and cultural studies) I was like why not just give me the place hahaha!!
Original post by BeautifullySimple
:biggrin: same as (media and cultural studies) I was like why not just give me the place hahaha!!

:biggrin: Have you firmed your place?
:biggrin: Have you firmed your place?

No DMU is going to be my insurance :colondollar: Just sent off my replies now!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 318
HEY! So glad I found someone applying the same course:biggrin: Mine is on the 6 March, when's yours?? I am so nervous for the interview to be honest!:pinch::pinch:
Original post by HannahRose1990
Hi! ive got an interview in march for same course.. when is yours? really wanna know what happens in the group interview im cackin it! :biggrin:
I'm a first year Speech Therapy student at DMU at the moment, living in Newarke Point :smile: so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending