The Student Room Group

Eric Pickles signals end to multiculturalism

:biggrin: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104049/Eric-Pickles-signals-end-multiculturalism-says-Tories-stand-majority.html

The communities secretary has stood up for native britons and pledged the english language and culture will be put first ahead of foreigners demands. Its about time, its insulting we are told not to wear crosses or have an england flag up during the world cup, for fear of offending foreign bigots.

Migrants should be made to learn the english language and understanding british life. This is the least they should have to do, maybe a bit of education would stop the increasingly frequent attacks from minorities on whites.

What does everyone else think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Christian faith will be restored to the centre of public life, ministers are to pledge today.

Eric Pickles will praise the traditions and heritage of ‘the majority’ and describe multiculturalism as the politics of division."

Where's this Christian majority?
Reply 2
Erm... Nobody is told not to wear crosses up or put England flags up.

Plus I would also say that most migrants also do speak/try to speak English and understand British culture.
maybe a bit of education would stop the increasingly frequent attacks from minorities on whites.

Not all British people are white.
I often see 'oh we're not allowed to fly the England flag during the World Cup' when I see it everywhere during the World Cup when I'm in England. Is there any actual substance to the claims that you're not allowed to?

Besides, approximately 60% of Brits list themselves as having no religion. Christian majority ftw :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Original post by amime
Plus I would also say that most migrants also do speak/try to speak English and understand British culture.

This.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mufasaa
"Christian faith will be restored to the centre of public life, ministers are to pledge today.

Eric Pickles will praise the traditions and heritage of ‘the majority’ and describe multiculturalism as the politics of division."

Where's this Christian majority?

I'd say most brits are christians, although most probably dont practice. I'm a Roman Catholic and was fully practicing until about 8 years ago. Thats probably what he means.

This is a christian country and those living here should respect our culture and way of life and learn our language. They want to have their cake and eat it, its about time the government showed them who comes first.

I know all british people arnt white.
Reply 5
Original post by Aleandcynicism
I often see 'oh we're not allowed to fly the England flag during the World Cup' when I see it everywhere during the World Cup when I'm in England. Is there any actual substance to the claims that you're not allowed.

No there isn't. It's effectively people creating there own misery from problems that don't exist. A usual trait of daily mail readers
Reply 6
Original post by Chloe xxx
I'd say most brits are christians, although most probably dont practice. I'm a Roman Catholic and was fully practicing until about 8 years ago. Thats probably what he means.

This is a christian country and those living here should respect our culture and way of life and learn our language. They want to have their cake and eat it, its about time the government showed them who comes first.

I know all british people arnt white.

Statistical evidence says the majority are not Christian though.
Reply 7
Original post by amime
Erm... Nobody is told not to wear crosses up or put England flags up.

Hmmm...baa baa black sheep is considered insulting, referring to something as 'black' is often seen as racist by radical left wingers, stories are always surfacing about muslims/other minorities claiming the england flag offends them and other ridiculous things like crosses shouldnt be allowed in public.

What about if a bunch of brits went to Saudi Arabia and started campaigning for the introduction of pork and trying to ban islam in public??
Hmmm...baa baa black sheep is considered insulting, referring to something as 'black' is often seen as racist by radical left wingers, stories are always surfacing about muslims/other minorities claiming the england flag offends them and other ridiculous things like crosses shouldnt be allowed in public.

What about if a bunch of brits went to Saudi Arabia and started campaigning for the introduction of pork and trying to ban islam in public??

Do you have any actual sources for these claims?
Reply 9
Good no foreigner should be allowed in unless they can contribute to society if they don't have a job within 5 months they should be sent back if they can't speak English they need to prove that they are learning to do so and making an effort to integrate with the rest of the community.

I would HATE for Britain to become a Muslim country only recently have we started to take Christianity away from politics I would hate for us to become an Islamic state in the future Islam is even more backwards than Christianity I don't care if it's not politically correct it's a fact.
Reply 10
Whilst I welcome some of the sentiment, I don;t like this emphasis on us as a Christian country. We don't need Christianity, just mention our heritage and history, not the religion that is almost meaningless to most in todays society.
Reply 11
Original post by Mufasaa
Statistical evidence says the majority are not Christian though.

Religion in the United Kingdom:

Religion in the United Kingdom and the states that pre-dated the UK, was dominated by forms of Christianity for over 1,400 years
According to the 2001 UK census, Christianity is the major religion
Reply 12
Hmmm...baa baa black sheep is considered insulting,

No it's not. Find me one person who's insulted by it. And don't quote the Mail or Express.
referring to something as 'black' is often seen as racist by radical left wingers,

No it's not.
stories are always surfacing about muslims/other minorities claiming the england flag offends them and other ridiculous things like crosses shouldnt be allowed in public.

I've not seen these stories in a while, even then it's mostly corporations/government going over-the-top PC about it.
Reply 13

Back this up with evidence.

WTF would be insulted about the England flag :facepalm2:

Religion in the United Kingdom and the states that pre-dated the UK, was dominated by forms of Christianity for over 1,400 years

O rly? Also, I've been an atheist for years but I was down as CoE on the 2001 census. They're not exactly accurate.

Any sources to back up your claims yet?
Reply 15

Major =/= Majority. Just the biggest religion.

How is what happened over the last 1400 years in any way a case for what should happen now?

EDIT: ^ Same on the census.
I'm sure Harriet Harperson will have something to say about this
Original post by Aleandcynicism
Do you have any actual sources for these claims?

Well it's true maybe not for the majority but there are more and more cases popping up all over the country for instance my mother is English I am Scottish I live in Scotland.

During the world cup my mum hung up Union Flags but some ******** Scottish wannabe Irish guy in her work complained saying that they were offensive and they were removed.

A quick google search shows up

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article859734.ece
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285492/Council-workers-banned-flying-England-flags-OWN-cars.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8709173.stm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5928688/Police-anger-over-ban-on-Union-Flag-badges-in-support-of-British-troops.html
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/824113-jesus-flag-banned-for-advertising-christianity
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282172/Banned-flying-flag-Binmen-threatened-sack-support-England-World-Cup.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278319/Celtic-loyalists-push-ban-English-flags-Cornwall.html
Reply 18

That's over a decade ago :tongue: Plus, being the majority religion =/= the majority of the population believe in said religion. I don't get why the government is trying to push one way or another in religion - I frankly don't care what people believe, it should not effect policy decisions.
Reply 19
It's funny how the OP wants to educate people about British life when it's clear she doesn't have an idea of it herself :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending