The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hooby
Thank you soo much thats really helpful! I wasn't really sure about Aitken anyway so Ill give that one a miss! Do you think the tennis courts will have finished all refurbishment by september?? in which case it doesn't matter where I put down for :smile: What are the societies like are there lots? I'm trying to decide between B'ham and York and that was one of the things I didn't find out about for Birmingham :smile: Thanks x

Tennis court is FULL of builders at the moment with their noisy diggers and stuff! Apparently they're building some more blocks and it's scheduled to be finished in September...just a heads up on that :P It is nice though :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
Hi guys! I got an offer for Computer Science I would like to firm Bham but also I would like to hear more about the course!
Thanks!
Reply 22
Hi, I'm going on the applicant day and I was wondering how far away the Birmingham University station is from the main campus areas (such as the education building or barbera arts building or whatever) and what station you have to go to in Birmingham to connect to it :smile: Thanks soo much x
Reply 23
Original post by Hooby
Hi, I'm going on the applicant day and I was wondering how far away the Birmingham University station is from the main campus areas (such as the education building or barbera arts building or whatever) and what station you have to go to in Birmingham to connect to it :smile: Thanks soo much x

The station is on campus, albeit more on the edge of it, this side of the Medical school (look here), so it'd take 5 minutes or so to get to where you're going. You'll probably need to go to University Centre at first, which is R23 on that map.

Pretty much all trains in Birmingham will go through New Street station, so if you get to there then it's 2 stops to University station. If you look for any trains going to Redditch, they'll stop at Uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by uob
The station is on campus, albeit more on the edge of it, this side of the Medical school (look here), so it'd take 5 minutes or so to get to where you're going. You'll probably need to go to University Centre at first, which is R23 on that map.

Pretty much all trains in Birmingham will go through New Street station, so if you get to there then it's 2 stops to University station. If you look for any trains going to Redditch, they'll stop at Uni.

Thanks so much :smile: x
Reply 25
I'm a first year sport and exercise student, living on the vale. I remember feeling so confused as to which uni/ accommodation etc to go for this time last year so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Steph___x
I'm a first year sport and exercise student, living on the vale. I remember feeling so confused as to which uni/ accommodation etc to go for this time last year so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me :smile:

is the Vale the best place for first years?
Original post by Tashaa18

I would say so, yes. It is where the majority of first years live, although some do live in off campus accommodation and commute further: the beeches, QHC, IQ etc. I would definitely recommend the vale; its local, everyone is a fresher and its a safe way to start uni life :smile:
Reply 28

Everyone on the Vale would feel so, but that probably would not be the case if they lived else where. All the halls are great for first years so wherever you live, you'll have a fantastic first year.
right I'm thinking of firming Birmingham but Leeds is a possibility, course wise Birmingham is better but Leeds has a year in industry, whereas at Birmingham I'd have to apply for the MSci (undergrad) verison of my course which I might not get accepted onto, however the campus at Brimingham is nicer, accomidation is, but then it's more expensive and I get less bursary compared to Leeds, also I like that Leeds is right in the city but with the train station I suppose thats not a big deal. Also I know Birmingham better than Leeds, does anyone know of anything else I should be aware of when applying, this might be silly but how good is Birmingham for live music (especially rock) as I tend to go to a lot of concerts,
thanks guys :smile:
Reply 30
Anybody do philosophy at Birmingham? Just wondering what the typical timetable is like.
Original post by IceCool
Anybody do philosophy at Birmingham? Just wondering what the typical timetable is like.

My friend does, and she has a rather free timetable in comparison to some. Also, in week 6 of each term, she has a reading week.
Reply 32
does anyone study Ancient History at Birmingham, who could tell me what the course is like?
Reply 33

Yeah I'd say so :smile: the main two places are pritchatts park and the vale. Pritchatts is a smaller, cheaper and nearer to campus (about a 10 minute walk) so does mean you can go back between lectures easily. I've been to oakley court at prichatts and the accommodation there is nice. The vale is further away from campus (mason about 15 min whereas elgar court is about a 25 minute walk) but most people do live on the vale and you have things like costcutter and bar one etc which are good and its easy to meet up with other people on the vale for like sports socials and get taxis together. Just avoid living in places like QHC, the beeches etc as they're a bit out of it but yeah depends what you're after.
I'm hoping to firm Birmingham for Modern Languages and Business... :smile:

For any language students, could anyone tell me what the resources are like in the department for learning the language outside of classes? In a few other unis I saw language centres but forgot to ask about it at Bham! Watching foreign TV programmes, reading magazines, etc?
Original post by sarahgould-x
I'm hoping to firm Birmingham for Modern Languages and Business... :smile:

For any language students, could anyone tell me what the resources are like in the department for learning the language outside of classes? In a few other unis I saw language centres but forgot to ask about it at Bham! Watching foreign TV programmes, reading magazines, etc?

Which languages are you interested in? :smile: I'm doing Spanish and Portuguese.
We have language labs; computers, headphones etc which are really really good because it gives you a quiet space to do listening activities etc. The library has loads of grammar guides, vocab books, linguistics, dictionaries etc too. There is also access to international newspapers :smile:

We also have a student led magazine called 'The Linguist'. There are loads of different sections for each language, and all of the articles are written by students; I'm the editor :biggrin: Its great for practicing your reading skills, and if you were to write an article, its great for grammar practice because its checked over by an older student before its published :smile:
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Which languages are you interested in? :smile: I'm doing Spanish and Portuguese.
We have language labs; computers, headphones etc which are really really good because it gives you a quiet space to do listening activities etc. The library has loads of grammar guides, vocab books, linguistics, dictionaries etc too. There is also access to international newspapers :smile:

We also have a student led magazine called 'The Linguist'. There are loads of different sections for each language, and all of the articles are written by students; I'm the editor :biggrin: Its great for practicing your reading skills, and if you were to write an article, its great for grammar practice because its checked over by an older student before its published :smile:

Great, thank you, that's so helpful! Sounds like there is a lot :smile: I can't wait!

EDIT: French and Spanish!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Just avoid living in places like QHC, the beeches etc as they're a bit out of it but yeah depends what you're after.

I can't speak for QHC, as it's mixed uni accommodation, but while The Beeches isn't owned by the university, it's completely UoB students, and I reckon you'd find they have a contrary view on what you say as being "out of it".

The majority of first year students don't actually live on the Vale, but it does have the largest concentration of them. It'd be silly to suggest the Vale is the be-all and end-all of the first year experience. I'd say that anyone who didn't live there would not feel as though they missed out by living elsewhere, despite what people who do live on the Vale believe. Of course, there's likely to be a minority not on the Vale who may have ended up only being friends with people on the Vale, maybe due to their course for example, who would have preferred living there.
Reply 38
Original post by uob
I can't speak for QHC, as it's mixed uni accommodation, but while The Beeches isn't owned by the university, it's completely UoB students, and I reckon you'd find they have a contrary view on what you say as being "out of it".

The majority of first year students don't actually live on the Vale, but it does have the largest concentration of them. It'd be silly to suggest the Vale is the be-all and end-all of the first year experience. I'd say that anyone who didn't live there would not feel as though they missed out by living elsewhere, despite what people who do live on the Vale believe. Of course, there's likely to be a minority not on the Vale who may have ended up only being friends with people on the Vale, maybe due to their course for example, who would have preferred living there.

No I didn't mean students were "out of in that way" , I was more referring to the fact that they're much further out from campus. My friend who lives there reckons that it takes her 40 minutes to get there by foot so often she takes the train. Its just often harder (and more expensive) for her to meet up for things like sports socials as she's the only one from the beeches so often has to get taxis by herself etc. Just sounds like there's less people at the beeches so you're less likely to find people from your course/ are part of your societies. Obviously people will have different experiences but from what I've heard its better to be in pritchatts or the vale :smile:
No I didn't mean students were "out of in that way" , I was more referring to the fact that they're much further out from campus. My friend who lives there reckons that it takes her 40 minutes to get there by foot so often she takes the train. Its just often harder (and more expensive) for her to meet up for things like sports socials as she's the only one from the beeches so often has to get taxis by herself etc. Just sounds like there's less people at the beeches so you're less likely to find people from your course/ are part of your societies. Obviously people will have different experiences but from what I've heard its better to be in pritchatts or the vale :smile:

I totally agree with this. The Beeches etc are referred to as 'off campus' as they are a lot further away. Although they have their own social side, I think your first year will be a lot better if you're on the Vale; lots more people, 10 mins from campus. My friend is living in QHC, and he said that he feels a bit out of the loop etc, seeing as there are a lot of events going on on the Vale etc: Mason dares night, bar crawls 'X' accommodation Vs 'Y' etc, the Vale music festival, fireworks; its just a lot more like a community I guess :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending