The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gales
If it's totally random, I'm sure you could find someone who'd want your accommodation and you could swap, right? That'd be my plan!

Original post by buddhacoffee
I know, right?! *megasadness* :frown:

As has been said by HNI, over the last few years not being able to afford the accommodation you've been offered hasn't counted as a valid reason to change. For the last few years we've had accommodation swap threads on TSR with people trying to trade accommodation offers. If you end up with an en suite catered room in Pollock and don't want it the chances are there will be someone else who is desperate to get one as these rooms are popular with the wealthier Edinburgh students meaning there's always people who are annoyed that they weren't allocated an en suite. The accommodation service appear to be open to people swapping their accommodation as long as both parties phone up and explain that they want to swap with each other. Obviously we don't know if it will be the same this year, this is just what's happened over the last few years.

One of the big changes this year is access and bursaries. Universities HAVE to be showing that they're widening access and not forcing people out of taking up their offer for financial reasons meaning there's much bigger bursaries available for lower income students. This could mean that the "but I can't afford that room" argument might stand up more because universities have to uphold their end of the £9000 fees bargain by ensuring that students aren't priced out... but we shall see what happens with that! As at the end of the day, the cheapest rooms are the bunk bed rooms meaning if you complain about the accommodation being too expensive then you also don't really have a right to complain if they then put you in a bunk bed room.

In terms of not getting one of your choices, most accommodation is pretty much the same. It's a very recent thing that Edinburgh are offering actual choice in terms of where you stay and the size of your room (as they can make more money from students) so this idea of choice is something to consider lightly. When I was applying for first year accommodation in 2005 you quite literally chose "catered/self catered" then "en suite/shared bathroom" then that was your application done. Most people end up being happy where ever they're located because the accommodation is all in a pretty similar area (other than the KB houses) and is pretty identical on the inside. The difference between the houses at Pollock or different flat complexes are marginal. The big difference is who you end up living with - this will determine whether you enjoy your flat, not whether it was the exact one you chose when looking on the internet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
what do you guys think about this new residence?? it looks great as far as i'm concerned

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/undergraduate/ug-self-catered/beaverbank
Original post by freakonomist
what do you guys think about this new residence?? it looks great as far as i'm concerned

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/undergraduate/ug-self-catered/beaverbank

They had that this year too (potentially the year before... results days fade into one in my brain) and a lot of people were allocated rooms there if there wasn't space for them in the university owned accommodation, as this is basically the university renting the halls from a private letting company.

If you search for the name then you'll find discussion from previous years between people who were offered this accommodation and the advice from current/past students. I'd tell you the exact same thing as I told them, so there's no real point in me typing it again!

The Meadow Court place is also new. Interestingly it looks like that's what they were building/redeveloping in the buildings directly behind where I used to live when I was in Edinburgh.
Hello all,

Is anyone familiar with how deposits work? I am still awaiting a decision on my application and I saw it is recommended to apply for accommodation early and for international students the deposit is due at application, is the deposit refunded if I don't get an offer? I had emailed and havent heard back yet. I am wondering if anyone on here knows. Otherwise, I was thinking of emailing and asking the internatioal office if they happen to know.

Thanks!
Reply 64
I don't go to Edinburgh, but having lived in semi-catered i'd say they were about the same. In my first year most of the conversations held were either in the kitchen or the living room, the ability to cook for you and your housemates is a great social get-together. AND you have somewhere to keep the beer cool and being able to eat what you want when you want is so nice.
Reply 65
Hi all,

I've been accepted to the MA in Classics at Edinburgh. I don't know a whole lot about life in Edinburgh or what accommodation is like, so I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this? What are some of the pros and cons for the various residences?
Original post by D_Far
Hi all,

I've been accepted to the MA in Classics at Edinburgh. I don't know a whole lot about life in Edinburgh or what accommodation is like, so I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this? What are some of the pros and cons for the various residences?

Well, you're an international postgraduate, so you will be guaranteed university accommodation if you want it. You can go catered or self-catered. Broadly, both are pretty expensive - I would recommend finding your own accommodation (steering clear of private halls of residence) - but there's no denying the convenience of university accommodation.
Original post by freakonomist

It's decent, by all accounts, but rather far off the beaten track. Accommodation Services has had ~100 rooms leased there this year, but next year has leased the entire building. Rumour has it that it is intended for PG students - although no one seems quite sure.

oxymoronic
They had that this year too (potentially the year before... results days fade into one in my brain) and a lot of people were allocated rooms there if there wasn't space for them in the university owned accommodation, as this is basically the university renting the halls from a private letting company

They had it this year, but it was brand new in September. It's run by Fresh Student Living - if you remember, it was their official forum rep we had a run in with about 15 months ago.

oxymoronic
The Meadow Court place is also new. Interestingly it looks like that's what they were building/redeveloping in the buildings directly behind where I used to live when I was in Edinburgh.

Meadow Court is just Sciennes 1 with a new name (and a refurb) :tongue:
Reply 68
Anyone have any idea if kosher/halal meat is served in catered accommodation?
just a few questions if anybody knows anything about what I'm asking:
- with self-catered accomodation, how many bathrooms do you get in each flat/how many people share one bathroom on average?
- roughly how many people are on a corridor in John Burnett house?
- Beaverbank looks like lovely accomodation, and I'm not too worried about the location, but would being in essentially private accomodation make the social side of uni in 1st year more difficult in a way?
thank you :biggrin:
Reply 70
I know this thread is for current students, but could people tell me about what halls they were in for first year and if it was good/bad ?
thankyou :biggrin:
Original post by bob247
Anyone have any idea if kosher/halal meat is served in catered accommodation?

I'm Jewish and vegetarian, and no one has personally said that I should not live in catered accommodation, but the Edinburgh website says that people like us would probably be happier in self-catered accommodation and that they do not have the time and resources to prepare special meals for those with special diets or restrictions. I guess it comes down to how Kosher you want it to be. The plates, bowls and utensils are probably all cross contaminated for meat and dairy. You'd probably be safer to go with self-catered, that's what I am going with, not to mention I'm 25 years old and the novelty of eating in a student dining hall wore off a long time ago for me.
Reply 72
Original post by xanzibar1986
I'm Jewish and vegetarian, and no one has personally said that I should not live in catered accommodation, but the Edinburgh website says that people like us would probably be happier in self-catered accommodation and that they do not have the time and resources to prepare special meals for those with special diets or restrictions. I guess it comes down to how Kosher you want it to be. The plates, bowls and utensils are probably all cross contaminated for meat and dairy. You'd probably be safer to go with self-catered, that's what I am going with, not to mention I'm 25 years old and the novelty of eating in a student dining hall wore off a long time ago for me.

Ah, but as a prospective undergraduate who's never really had a school cafeteria, it was something I was really looking forward to :tongue: Also, I figured it would be the easiest way for me to make friends and a build a sort of 'halls spirit'.

Is there any catered options that also come with a kitchen? So I can pick and choose :tongue: You're right in that if a lot of special attention isn't given the utensils will have been mixed and I can't risk that :frown:
Original post by bob247
Ah, but as a prospective undergraduate who's never really had a school cafeteria, it was something I was really looking forward to :tongue: Also, I figured it would be the easiest way for me to make friends and a build a sort of 'halls spirit'.

Is there any catered options that also come with a kitchen? So I can pick and choose :tongue: You're right in that if a lot of special attention isn't given the utensils will have been mixed and I can't risk that :frown:

I do have to agree with you that it is a huge social experience and there were many times when I went with my "house" at my undergrad school in the states. So there were about twenty of us taking up two giant round tables and we could get quite rowdy, but I really sacrificed Kosher laws. It really is a personal decision, my rabbi always used to eat at non-Kosher restaurants and when people pointed out that the plates weren't Kosher he would say, "But I'm not going to eat the plates!" That's kind of how I think of it these days, but then again I am living in an area with very small Jewish and vegetarian population in the state of Iowa. I also grew up in a synagogue associated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, so I can't compare my experience to someone Orthodox, Hasidic, etc.

Since, I'm a prospective postgrad student I don't know if they have catered options that also have some kitchen facilities, however, I have emailed accommodations and they we're very helpful, maybe they can tell you more about your options? Otherwise, I know Edinburgh has a Jewish Society and it might be helpful to contact them and talk to some current students.
Halls only or flats too?
Original post by bob247

No.
In Pollock I believe you have access to a microwave in the pantry, but that's it in terms of kitchen equipment.
If you want any option of cooking your own food or eating at any time other than the specified Pollock eating times then you will need to go self catered.
From what you've said about your situation, it seems that self catered is better for you as then you will have full control over what you're eating.

Self catered students can pay to eat at Pollock although I think it's fairly expensive and I'm not sure why you'd want to do it.
Reply 76
Basically I am looking for a flat next year, there are four of us, and I was hoping for some advice.

Firstly I was wondering when do most Estate agents release their properties. I really only started looking last Thursday but I have been doing a lot of work. However, when ever I find a property online and ring to follow it up it seems to have already been let. Does all the accommodation come out in February or is there more accommodation and if so when is it released?

Secondly the good thing about the four of us is that we have the same aims; namely being close (no more than 20 minutes) walk to University, close (same distance) to Marchmont as we have friends there and a living room (not necessarily separate but enough space for a couple of couches and a TV). Bedroom size, kitchen and bathroom are not so much of a priority.

However, I feel one or two members of the group are unrealistic about what we need to pay to get that. I feel we need to be paying 1400 a month minimum between us even in Bruntsfield or Tollcross never mind Marchmont, which would be our first choice. He feels we can get a place for 1200 but I find this unlikely. What should we be looking to pay?

Thanks in advance for any help
Original post by bradshawt
Firstly I was wondering when do most Estate agents release their properties. I really only started looking last Thursday but I have been doing a lot of work. However, when ever I find a property online and ring to follow it up it seems to have already been let. Does all the accommodation come out in February or is there more accommodation and if so when is it released.

Estate agents sell property. You want a letting agent. Housing stock is certainly not all available in February. A lot of tenants might not have given their notice yet - so flats aren't being marketed. The best time to look is from late March onwards. That said, you need to be ready to move fast - four bedroom HMO-licensed flats are not going to hang around.

He feels we can get a place for 1200 but I find this unlikely. What should we be looking to pay?

In Tollcross, maybe. Maybe just maybe in Newington. But for anywhere half decent in Marchmont/Bruntsfield/Grange etc that has 4 bedrooms and a living room (or large kitchen) you're going to have to pay £1400/£1500 minimum.
Reply 78
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Estate agents sell property. You want a letting agent. Housing stock is certainly not all available in February. A lot of tenants might not have given their notice yet - so flats aren't being marketed. The best time to look is from late March onwards. That said, you need to be ready to move fast - four bedroom HMO-licensed flats are not going to hang around.

In Tollcross, maybe. Maybe just maybe in Newington. But for anywhere half decent in Marchmont/Bruntsfield/Grange etc that has 4 bedrooms and a living room (or large kitchen) you're going to have to pay £1400/£1500 minimum.

I meant letting agent sorry. When the properties come out in March will they come out bit by bit as tenants give notice or will the letting agent wait and release them all at the same time.

Also I am trying to persuade him that. The issue is is that he has two brothers who studied at Edinburgh in the last ten years and I think he is basing his budget on what they paid. I am not really sure to approach this as I do not want a confrontation but I feel every time I put forward a 1400 place I have to put forward a 1200 to balance it out.
Thanks
I meant letting agent sorry. When the properties come out in March will they come out bit by bit as tenants give notice or will the letting agent wait and release them all at the same time.

Also I am trying to persuade him that. The issue is is that he has two brothers who studied at Edinburgh in the last ten years and I think he is basing his budget on what they paid. I am not really sure to approach this as I do not want a confrontation but I feel every time I put forward a 1400 place I have to put forward a 1200 to balance it out.

Most agents will just market as and when - there's no point in them holding back stuff when they could be securing new tenants. But you should comfortably be able to secure somewhere to live as late as July. Be aware that anywhere you find now or soon may well have a move-in date in May or June and that you will need to pay rent during the summer.

As for your flatmate-to-be, I would suggest that you see a few flats that are going for £1200 anywhere on the Southside or over in Tollcross and the West End. If you see something that you all like and fits your criteria, then great. However, if it just confirms you want to be staying somewhere else that costs more, he'll just have to lump it.

Quick Reply

Latest