The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and I'm over 18 by the way
Reply 2
It depends.. if you're looking for an adhd assessment or something and are simply telling them that you've borrowed ritalin and seen good effects, they probably wont tell anyone.
Reply 3
Also, (someone I know) has in the past self-medicated with unprescribed stimulants and cocaine, and has spoken to drs about this and they've been very understanding. I'm guessing it will depend on how you come across or your motives and stuff too.
If you're over 18 you're legally responsible for yourself, your parents don't have to know anything. I'm probably going to have an operation in a few months, but my parents don't even know I'm going to hospital for consultations. I'm 19.
Reply 5
Didn't mean to post the post above anonymously, web browser played up. My apologies. Even under 18 your doctor keeps things confidential unless it's going to affect your safety and they have a very good reason to tell another person.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Unless you are a serious danger to yourself (e.g. suicide) or someone else, doctors must keep your information confidential.

If doctors break confidentiality without good reason (as above), they can face investigation and punishment by the GMC

I cannot imagine doctors would have an interest or good reason to tell anyone about you taking ritalin

(we covered this in a lecture last semester)

It is important that doctors keep confidentiality so that patients can feel free enough to discuss their health problems. Breaking confidentiality undermines the doctor-patient relationship
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
If you're over 18 you're legally responsible for yourself, your parents don't have to know anything. I'm probably going to have an operation in a few months, but my parents don't even know I'm going to hospital for consultations. I'm 19.

Interesting....they didn't ask for ur nxt of kin? They have to legally ask that.
Reply 8
Original post by GangBang
Interesting....they didn't ask for ur nxt of kin? They have to legally ask that.

I haven't been told I will have an operation yet, but it's looking likely and it's a routine one anyway. Just because I have to tell them my next of kin doesn't mean that the next of kin has to know I'm having the operation though, and I could always tell someone else to be it for the purposes of the operation.
Reply 9
Yeah true u could lie but then where will that get u if something goes wrong?

I was in hospital the other week and the nurse was like, "next of kin?". I was like "I'm 23" (I do look young!!) ....but apparently that doesn't wash for legal reasons!! Hope op isn't too hectic, fella!
Reply 10
Iv spoken to doctors/psychologists/counselors about drug use before and nothing was said, Im sure its fine
Reply 11
nope doctor patient confidentiality, i believe theyre allowed to break it if other people are in danger or you are e.g. you threatened to go on a murder suicide spree but as for just taking ritalin no they're not :smile:
Original post by kratos90
Suppose I have been taking Ritalin without a prescription, for personal use with studying, and I want to discuss it with my GP. Would he/she legally be allowed to tell my parents or police?

Everything you tell them will be in strict confidence. They can't tell the police anything unless you make a threat against another person or the police have a court order.

Age doesn't matter, even if you are below 18
Reply 13
Suppose I have been taking Ritalin without a prescription, for personal use with studying, and I want to discuss it with my GP. Would he/she legally be allowed to tell my parents or police?

You know it's in class B right? If you are caught with it its likely the police will take you in, and it would be hard for your parents not to know then.

If you seriously need Ritalin to study then there is something wrong with you. Discuss this with your GP. If you don't really need it but you find it helpful, then try something less illegal like modafinil, which you can buy and take legally.
My understanding was unless you told the doctor something that put either your or someone else at risk of serious harm/death they couldn't tell anyone else?
Reply 15
Original post by moya
You know it's in class B right? If you are caught with it its likely the police will take you in, and it would be hard for your parents not to know then.

If you seriously need Ritalin to study then there is something wrong with you. Discuss this with your GP. If you don't really need it but you find it helpful, then try something less illegal like modafinil, which you can buy and take legally.

Yes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I couldn't give a damn if it's class B, I already know that. I'll do whatever I like don't need to justify myself to you.

Where did you get that impression from? Seems like the ritalin is making you stupid.

How does Ritalin help you with studying? Because I could probably use some too! :smile:
And how did you get it without it be prescribed to you?
Reply 18
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
How does Ritalin help you with studying? Because I could probably use some too! :smile:
And how did you get it without it be prescribed to you?

Don't use Ritalin without a prescription folks.
(edited 12 years ago)
It helps because it speeds up your brain processing. It increases alertness and focus so you can concentrate fully on work for hours and hours without wanting to stop i.e. no procrastinating.

Pilots used similar types of drugs in WW11, maybe they still do I'm not sure.

For your last question, the same as you get any illegal drug without prescription. Maybe through a friend or somewhere reputable online.

Isnt that REALLY bad for you?? So basically you dont get easily distracted?
Is the drug illegal?
Is it not dodgy though getting it off the internet?!