The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (February 20th to 24th)

Scroll to see replies

Hello KeepItSecret,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from Lancaster for English Literature and Linguistics and it is great news that you are considering putting Lancaster as your firm choice.

The scholarship is not means tested but is only based on your grades.

After you have placed Lancaster as your firm choice, our accommodation office will send you a booklet which will contain information about each of our 8 undergraduate colleges and our different types of accommodation. A lot of the colleges do provide en-suite accommodation and you will be able to find out about the 'personality' of each college from the booklet to help you decide which one best fits you and your requirements. Before the booklet arrives though you can visit our website to find out more about each college.

The university has a number of different music societies ranging from Big Band, Brass Band, Orchestra, Swing Group and Wind Band which regularly compete in both regional and national competitions. The Students' Union runs a Fresher's Fair in the first week of term. All of our societies are represented at the fair and you can go along and meet the society to find out more and join. Before you arrive please do visit their website http://www.ulms.org.uk/

During your first year you may find you have the opportunity to learn a language (depending on your previous qualifications) as a minor subject, and at our newly opened Confucius Institute you can take a beginners course in Mandarin Chinese. The local Adult College (situated in the city centre) runs a number of language and British sign language courses here at the university, and you will receive emails advertising these and telling you how to enrol when you're a student here.

Morecambe is about a 15 minute car journey from the university and there are a number of buses which run from the campus to Morecambe every hour.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you. All the best,
Leanne.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by NuckingFut
How far is lancaster train station to the uni? Is it close enough to be within walking distance?

It's about 3 miles. Walking distance for me, but not for all!
How far is lancaster train station to the uni? Is it close enough to be within walking distance?

Hi NuckingFut,

The train station is about 3 miles from the campus, so it just depends on how happy you are to walk that distance. There's also a cycle route there, but there is actually a direct bus from campus (the X1) which runs every hour and this takes about 10 minutes to get there.

You can find more information on our website.

Hope this helps. All the best,
Sarah.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ms_thuytien
Hi,
I have applied for the course Finance and Economics and received the decision that my application has been unsuccessful. Currently I am doing A Level and my predicted grades are AAA (the entry requirement is AAB). This rejection does not make sense to me because there is no detailed reason. I wish to ask for a feedback and appeal against the decision. I have received the decision last Friday and sent an email to the undergraduate admission manager but I have not received any reply yet.
I want to ask is it possible to ask for a reconsideration and is there any similar situation that is successful? And what should I do now (should I call the manager directly or wait for her reply?).
Many thanks,

Hi ms_thuytien,

Thanks for your query. I'm sorry to hear that you've been rejected, but we have had a record number of applications to the university this year so competition for places is very fierce. Undergraduate Admissions would be the best people to get in contact with because they will have access to your original application form. Their email is [email protected] or, if you want a quicker reply, you could call them on 01524 592028.

I hope this helps! All the best,
Sarah.
Reply 44
Thanks for the response!

Do you advise on transportation to and from the university for first time entrants in the UK for International Students?

Also, when this open week session closes here on TSR what would be the best way to get feedback from our questions apart from just emailing the administration/departmental office?
Reply 45
Hi. I'm in need of a room for the next year and I'm just in need of some tips/advice really, like if there's any way to find others in my year from Lancaster rather than UCUM.
Original post by naturzen
Thanks for the response!

Do you advise on transportation to and from the university for first time entrants in the UK for International Students?

Also, when this open week session closes here on TSR what would be the best way to get feedback from our questions apart from just emailing the administration/departmental office?

Hi naturzen,

Our nearest airport is Manchester and the University is about 50 minutes from there. There is a train station at the airport which can bring you to Lancaster, and a bus direct from the train station to the university campus (X1) every hour. We also organise a welcome service during arrivals week at the airport. For more information on this contact our International Office on [email protected] or on +44 (0)1524 592037.

With regard to your second point, as well as contacting the administration/departmental office you could contact Undergraduate Admissions on [email protected] or +44 (0)1524 592028 or ask us a question via Facebook or Twitter.

All the best,
Sarah.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zite
Hi. I'm in need of a room for the next year and I'm just in need of some tips/advice really, like if there's any way to find others in my year from Lancaster rather than UCUM.

Hi zite,

Thanks for your query. The best thing to do really would be to visit the LUSU Living website http://housing.lusu.co.uk/. LUSU Living are the accomodation arm of Lancaster University Students' Union so they would probably be the best housing company to contact if you want to find other Lancaster students to live with. They house over 1000 Lancaster University students around the city and also provide students with help and advice. There are contact details on the website if you want to email or ring them.

All the best,
Sarah.
Original post by sevendaughters
It's about 3 miles. Walking distance for me, but not for all!

How long does it take you?
How long does it take you?

I'm a runner, so 20 mins. Walking would be 45-50. I've only covered that route once as I haven't started at Lancaster yet, but know the area pretty well as I live nearby.
Reply 50
Hi, are you allowed to have a mini fridge in your room? Also what kind of questions will they ask in a informal interview since I've got one tomorrow lol. Thanks.
Hey, I'm applying to university next year, and Lancaster looks absolutely perfect. I'm looking to do Maths with Statistics and I see there is a study abroad option. If I wanted to do this,

1. Which year would that be out of the four years?
2. Which universities does Lancaster link with?

On an unrelated note, the campus days are a little late in the year (September) as I'm looking to apply early on. I notice there are campus tours, what are these like and are they useful on helping me decide if I want to come to Lancaster?
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi BeccaCath94,

Thanks for your questions and well done on getting an offer from us for German and Maths!

To answer your first question re: more info about the course modules - to be honest I'm not the best person as I don't teach on either of those programmes. However if you want to find out more about German - you could contact the Admissions Tutor Olga Gomez Cash Tel: +44 (0)1524 592468
or email the department on [email protected]. There is some module information here too for German:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/german-studies-ba-hons-r220/

For Maths the best person to speak to would be Dr Alex Belton who is the Admissions Tutor - contact details and more info here:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics-bsc-hons-msci-hons-g100/

With regards to changing courses at the end of your first year - you're right - often you can switch, depending on space and your performance in your courses over the first year. If and when you get to us, have a go at your courses and then if you are unhappy or want to change you can always speak to your departments for more help etc.

Hope this gives you a few pointers!

All the best,

Fred

Hi,
Thank you for your detailed responses.

I will be sure to check out the contact details you provided!
Out of interest, what is your course and what year are you in?

Thats great. I really like lancaster as a university and the location of it, but the course was the one thing I wasnt so sure on!! I've always been interested in languages and study abroad option although lancaster only offered it to the USA, whereas i'd prefer europe. However in retrospect i dont think i could cope with 50% of my degree in german!!

Rebecca
This may sound like a bit of a silly question, but I watch quite a lot of TV at the moment.
I just wondered if this will have to change when I go to uni - are people too busy for TV or is there even one to watch?
:smile:
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Hey, I'm applying to university next year, and Lancaster looks absolutely perfect. I'm looking to do Maths with Statistics and I see there is a study abroad option. If I wanted to do this,

1. Which year would that be out of the four years?
2. Which universities does Lancaster link with?

On an unrelated note, the campus days are a little late in the year (September) as I'm looking to apply early on. I notice there are campus tours, what are these like and are they useful on helping me decide if I want to come to Lancaster?

Hi cant_think_of_name,

Thank you for your query. If you were coming to do a 4 year course, you would spend your third year abroad. As for which universities we link with, mathematics and statistics have links with North America and Australasia, but for specific university details you'd probably be best getting in touch with the mathematics department. Their contact details are [email protected] or 01524 593960.

Hope this helps,
Sarah.
Original post by TLK
Hi, are you allowed to have a mini fridge in your room? Also what kind of questions will they ask in a informal interview since I've got one tomorrow lol. Thanks.

Hi TLK,

You're not allowed a mini fridge in your room I'm afraid no. What course do you have an informal interview for?

Best wishes,
Sarah.
Reply 56
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi TLK,

You're not allowed a mini fridge in your room I'm afraid no. What course do you have an informal interview for?

Best wishes,
Sarah.

Aww =/, its for Physics and Astrophysics with Cosmology. It also said that there will be some group problem solving so do you know how they will pick the groups?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Hi,
Thank you for your detailed responses.

I will be sure to check out the contact details you provided!
Out of interest, what is your course and what year are you in?

Thats great. I really like lancaster as a university and the location of it, but the course was the one thing I wasnt so sure on!! I've always been interested in languages and study abroad option although lancaster only offered it to the USA, whereas i'd prefer europe. However in retrospect i dont think i could cope with 50% of my degree in german!!

Rebecca

Hello Rebecca,

We do offer study abroad options on a lot of our degrees but if you are going to study a language then you will always spend the third year of your four year degree (our language degrees are always four years) in the country of the language you are studying, in your case Germany. If you were to study just Maths rather than Maths and German you would have the option to apply for a study abroad year in North America or Australasia.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Leanne
Original post by BeccaCath94
This may sound like a bit of a silly question, but I watch quite a lot of TV at the moment.
I just wondered if this will have to change when I go to uni - are people too busy for TV or is there even one to watch?
:smile:

Hello BeccaCath94,

Lots of people do bring their own TV with them to university, although if you are going to do this you will need to buy a TV Licence. There are also lots of extra curricular activities you can get involved in at Lancaster from societies and sports clubs to student politics and volunteering. You can find out more about these opportunities at Lancaster from our Student Union website http://lusu.co.uk/

Thank you

All the best,

Leanne
Reply 59
Hi, I've been briefly looking at finance for next year, and I am confused by the £1000 scholarship.

Here, http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/ it says that you receive the scholarship for every year you study (subject to satisfactory academic progression) and it makes no mention of resists.

However here, http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/funding/uniawardfaqs.htm#Q6 it says that you cannot resit exams to qualify for the scholarship. It also says that you only get the scholarship in the first year.

So which link is correct? Can you resit modules and can you receive the scholarship every year?

Quick Reply