The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (February 20th to 24th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TLK
Aww =/, its for Physics and Astrophysics with Cosmology. It also said that there will be some group problem solving so do you know how they will pick the groups?

Hello TLK,

The groups are broken up alphabetically and you will work as a group on your problem solving activity.
As for the informal interview, it will be based on your UCAS application and personal statement and provides the department with an opportunity to find out more information about you that they cannot get from your form. It is an opportunity for you to tell the department why you are right person for the course and why you want to do the course as well as an opportunity to show the department what you know and what you can do.

It is also a chance for you to get to know the department and to find out more about the course.

Best of luck for tomorrow

All the best

Leanne
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by TLK
Aww =/, its for Physics and Astrophysics with Cosmology. It also said that there will be some group problem solving so do you know how they will pick the groups?

Hello TLK,

The groups are broken up alphabetically and you will work as a group on your problem solving activity.
As for the informal interview, it will be based on your UCAS application and personal statement and provides the department with an opportunity to find out more information about you that they cannot get from your form. It is an opportunity for you to tell the department why you are right person for the course and why you want to do the course as well as an opportunity to show the department what you know and what you can do.

It is also a chance for you to get to know the department and to find out more about the course.

Best of luck for tomorrow

All the best

Leanne
Original post by Ite?
Hi, I've been briefly looking at finance for next year, and I am confused by the £1000 scholarship.

Here, http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/ it says that you receive the scholarship for every year you study (subject to satisfactory academic progression) and it makes no mention of resists.

However here, http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/funding/uniawardfaqs.htm#Q6 it says that you cannot resit exams to qualify for the scholarship. It also says that you only get the scholarship in the first year.

So which link is correct? Can you resit modules and can you receive the scholarship every year?

Hello Ite?

The information on the second link makes references to those students who started in 2011. They were only eligible to receive the scholarship in their first year. However, for those students who start in 2012 the scholarship will be available each year of study (subject to satisfactory academic progression).

If you miss out on the grades asked for in your scholarship letter but later resit an exam and achieve the required grades you will unfortunately not be eligible for the scholarship. If you have an exam remarked (rather than resitting) and do achieve the required grades, you would then be eligible for the scholarship.

I hope this makes our scholarship package clearer.

All the best,

Leanne
Hey, I have received an offer for Maths and statistics AAB and I believe I wont get a B :/ but I also think that I will get an A* so would A*AC be acceptable or not. I can get the B if I worked hard enough but its because it's an art subject and if I want the grade I would have to work constantly for 8 weeks because I work very slowly and I think my patience will run out sooner or later :/
Reply 64
Hi, I was wondering if there is any financial support for EU students to cover living costs, etc. if they have low family income? Is there any other support?

Is it possible to find a part-time job? Do many students work while studying?

Thank you!
Reply 65
Hi,

I have received an offer to study Mechanical Engineering at Lancaster and I was wondering if any of you could give me a feedback about the reputation of this course and the Engineering department in general?

And how is like living in Lancaster seeing thats a small town? Is there many shops or clubs around?

Also which college would you advise me to go to seeing that I really like sports and hanging out with people?

Many thanks
Reply 66
Hi
I was just wondering for the £1000 scholarship if I get A*AA - do we have to apply or does it just happen automatically if we get these grades?
Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello! I am a postgrad student and I was made an offer for entry to the MA Language Studies, which I hope I will be able to accept (my deadline is tomorrow). However, I wished to know, as I have not found any information on the website, what the fees will amount to for overseas postgraduate students in 2012/2013. Thanks!
Original post by CharrrrxD
Hi
I was just wondering for the £1000 scholarship if I get A*AA - do we have to apply or does it just happen automatically if we get these grades?
Thanks

Scholarships are awarded automatically - the university will know if you are eligible when they get your grades through. They will email you - normally before Christmas - to tell you that you have qualified and to set up the account for them to pay you. It was paid in February when I was there, so I suspect that is still the case [given I only left in 2011]. :smile:
Original post by Lancaster University
Hello Lampshade1,

Thank you for your question.

It is possible to do study abroad with Philosophy and you would apply to do this during your first year. Philosophy students in the past have been to America, Canada, Australia and Hong Kong. These students spend the second year of their degree on study abroad and then return to Lancaster for their third and final year. There may also be opportunities to study in Europe for either a year or a semester during your second or third year.

With regards to costs, our study abroad year is part of your 3 year degree rather than an additional year and information regarding costs will soon be published on our website. If you decide to do a study abroad year you will still be entitled to the full range of financial support from Student Finance England.

We have a study abroad resource area in our library which you would be able to access when you arrive, which has all the latest information you need and our International Office will be holding study abroad talks in the November of your first year, so keep an eye out for these.

If you would like any further information please do contact the study abroad team on 01524 592037.

Thank you

All the best

Leanne

Thank you very much for such a quick reply! Would it be possible though to add a whole year abroad to my course? As at some universities you can do that even if you didn't apply for a separate year abroad with your three year course. If it is possible with Philosophy, I was wondering how it worked with the course and financially (fees I'd have to pay etc).
Original post by JordanS94
Hey, I have received an offer for Maths and statistics AAB and I believe I wont get a B :/ but I also think that I will get an A* so would A*AC be acceptable or not. I can get the B if I worked hard enough but its because it's an art subject and if I want the grade I would have to work constantly for 8 weeks because I work very slowly and I think my patience will run out sooner or later :/

Hi JordanS94,

Well done on getting an offer for Maths and Statistics! The short answer to your question would an A*AC be accepatable is no. I know this sounds tough but the offer Lancaster has made you is AAB and that's what you'll need to 'guarantee' your place. So study hard and get that B and we hope to see you here at Lancaster in October.

All the best,

Fred
Original post by Car0llle
Hi, I was wondering if there is any financial support for EU students to cover living costs, etc. if they have low family income? Is there any other support?

Is it possible to find a part-time job? Do many students work while studying?

Thank you!

Hi Car0llle,

Thanks for your enquiry about financial support for EU students. Can I suggest you get in contact with our student finance team outside of this thread and the will be able to let you know what help is available? They also have some good info on the web http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/funding/ They have a hotline 0044 1524 65201.

Secondly there are lots a great part time job opportunities available for students. Our Student Union - LUSU - have a dedicated job shop team who help students find work whilst they are studying. The job shop is updated daily but take a look at their webpages again for further information:
http://jobshop.lusu.co.uk/

All the best,

Fred
Original post by mattcovre
Hi,

I have received an offer to study Mechanical Engineering at Lancaster and I was wondering if any of you could give me a feedback about the reputation of this course and the Engineering department in general?

And how is like living in Lancaster seeing thats a small town? Is there many shops or clubs around?

Also which college would you advise me to go to seeing that I really like sports and hanging out with people?

Many thanks

Hi Mattcovre,

Great to know you're interested in Mechanical Engineering at Lancaster. I've had several friends who have done this course and loved it in fact one of them now works for the Red Bull racing team in Milton Keynes. The department is really friendly, has a great approach to teaching - i.e. mixture of theory, projects, practical stuff, and a strong reputation with industry and business. Have you been on a visit day?

Lancaster itself is a small city buzzing with students. There is lots to keep you busy both on and off campus. There are club nights most week with different music nights - the student union have their own nightclub 'the Sugarhouse' which is alway a fun night out :smile:. We've just updated our webpages about this here:
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/life-at-lancaster/our-city-coast-and-countryside/

I'm a senior member of Fylde College so I've got to tell you that Fylde is the best! However all the colleges have a good social life but Flyde is the best for sports (I'll get abuse for saying this - but it's true!). Have a look at more about our Colleges and their different personalities here:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/teaching-and-learning/collegiate-system/

All the best for your exams and hope to see you at Lancaster soon!

Fred

Fred
Original post by CharrrrxD
Hi
Thanks

Hi CharrrrxD,

Our Lancaster Scholarships are designed to help people who get really good A levels and who come to us. You have to put Lancaster down as your firm choice and get A*,A,A to get the £1,000 scholarship every year but what's great is they are only awarded on merit not your household income. Also, there is no extra application process etc - if you apply to Lancaster and get an offer from us, in your 'official' offer letter we'll also tell you about our scholarship scheme. However if you want more info - have a look here:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/

All the best and hope you get one of our scholarships!

Fred
Reply 74
Hello!!

I have been invited to an open day/interview at Lancaster for the software engineering course. As its classed as an informal interview and there are going to be other people there i was just wondering what kind of outfit is expected.

Is it shirt and tie? suit? casual? has anyone been who can advise? would be much appreciated.
Original post by FrozenCharlotte
Hello! I am a postgrad student and I was made an offer for entry to the MA Language Studies, which I hope I will be able to accept (my deadline is tomorrow). However, I wished to know, as I have not found any information on the website, what the fees will amount to for overseas postgraduate students in 2012/2013. Thanks!

Hi FrozenCharlotte,

I hope you can accept our offer for an MA in Language Studies. I'm sorry but I can't answer your question yet about fees as the University has not yet published it's fees for 2012/2013. However - I do know they will be anounced shortly so keep your eyes peeled on the website.

Best wishes,

Fred
Hi Naldred,

Thanks for your question - I understand your predicament here - you don't want to turn up in your dinner jacket when everyone else is in jeans!

Having spoke to the Department, they recommend you come dressed in whatever you feel most comfortable in but they certainly won't be expecting you in a suit so casual is fine.

Good luck with the interview and hope you get an offer!

All the best,

Fred
Original post by lampshade1
Thank you very much for such a quick reply! Would it be possible though to add a whole year abroad to my course? As at some universities you can do that even if you didn't apply for a separate year abroad with your three year course. If it is possible with Philosophy, I was wondering how it worked with the course and financially (fees I'd have to pay etc).

Hi lampshade1,

It is possible to add a whole year abroad and you would study courses in Philosophy in your host institution that would count towards your overall Lancaster degree. We haven't finalised the fees for study abroad but in they won't be more than what you'd pay to be at Lancaster and you get all the smae financial support the same as if you were studying in then UK (including our Lancaster Scholarships and Bursaries).

However as Leanne suggests if you need specific info you should try giving the Study Abroad team a call. They are very helpful - we send over 500 students a year abroad from Lancaster each year!

All the best,

Fred
Reply 78
Hi Naldred,

Thanks for your question - I understand your predicament here - you don't want to turn up in your dinner jacket when everyone else is in jeans!

Having spoke to the Department, they recommend you come dressed in whatever you feel most comfortable in but they certainly won't be expecting you in a suit so casual is fine.

Good luck with the interview and hope you get an offer!

All the best,

Fred

Thanks so much for answering my question. I feel a lot better about this now. I will be sure to put the dinner jacket back back into storage to await such an occasion that requires it!
Hello Rebecca,

We do offer study abroad options on a lot of our degrees but if you are going to study a language then you will always spend the third year of your four year degree (our language degrees are always four years) in the country of the language you are studying, in your case Germany. If you were to study just Maths rather than Maths and German you would have the option to apply for a study abroad year in North America or Australasia.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Leanne

Thank you for all your help and I hope I choose lancaster as either my firm or insurance choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending