The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Summer Amor
What course are you applying for? Will you be firming Sussex?

I'm applying for Computer Science w/ a year in foundation and I'll think I'll be firming it - the Crawley Collegecampus for the foundation year is literally the next town along from me :smile:. Do you think you're going to firm Sussex? And what course? :smile: x
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 541
Hello all, how feasible is to commute to London from Brighton? I might study at Sussex and my GF in London....

Is Brighton significantly cheaper than London?

Applicants of MSc @ SPRU?
Reply 542
Furthermore, in terms of reputation, how good is Sussex? Is it among the top 10 universities in the UK? How about the top 100 in the world?
Reply 543
Original post by apadenz
Hello all, how feasible is to commute to London from Brighton? I might study at Sussex and my GF in London....

almost everywhere is significantly cheaper than London, including Brighton.
As for commuting... its approx an hour and a quarter by car but i have no idea about public transport, though i assume the trains would be pretty good, sorry :frown:
P.S i've applied for Physics but its unlikely to be my firm or insurance
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 544
Thanks Stevo!
Reply 545
Original post by apadenz

Original post by apadenz
Furthermore, in terms of reputation, how good is Sussex? Is it among the top 10 universities in the UK? How about the top 100 in the world?

Sussex has a good reputation, but it's not a university that shouts all about it like Nottingham for example. In this years league tables the 4 guides ranked it 11th,14th,14th and 19th and the UK, so it's definitely among the top 20.

In terms of the world it varies, QS ranked it 197th in the world, however the Times Higher league table ranked it 99th in the world (just into the top 100 haha)

For a university formed in the 60's, I think it ranks very well :smile:
Reply 546
Original post by apadenz

They advertise on the Sussex Website that London is under an hour away by train.
Hope this helps.
Original post by swbp
I've firmed Sussex for Geography, so if you end uo choosing them we'll be in the same department! :smile:
That's a big dilemma. The bottom line is, they both have solid reputations as universities, however Durham is more prestigious overall which might help your employment a bit.
In terms of location/social aspect Sussex will be far better; the city is really vibrant and the nightlife is great. Durham as a town is far more traditional so there probably wont be as much to do. It really depends on what your priorities are - prestige or location and social life :smile:

Also i am DESPERATE to get into Brighthelm, the Kitchens looked so nice!

I know Brighthelme is so lovely. I'd go to Sussex just for Brighthelme- only joking! Worried now tho because so many people like Brighthelme there may not be enough places there if I put Sussex second. And I would end up in East Slope or maybe not even on the campus. I think that would be better than East Slope tho- its so dark inside- I think you'd get depressed! And cramped.x
Reply 548
Original post by KayeO'Doherty
I know Brighthelme is so lovely. I'd go to Sussex just for Brighthelme- only joking! Worried now tho because so many people like Brighthelme there may not be enough places there if I put Sussex second. And I would end up in East Slope or maybe not even on the campus. I think that would be better than East Slope tho- its so dark inside- I think you'd get depressed! And cramped.x

Haha yeah East Slope is a bit grim, but from what i've heard it's apparently really social and full of dead nice people :smile: So which uni do you prefer at the moment?
Original post by swbp
Haha yeah East Slope is a bit grim, but from what i've heard it's apparently really social and full of dead nice people :smile: So which uni do you prefer at the moment?

If I had to make a decision right this moment I would choose Sussex because I've seen it 3 times and know practically everything about it whereas I've only been to Durham once. Will know more when I've been on the Durham open day!
Do u like Sussex the most? What are your other choices?
Original post by justn1c2
They advertise on the Sussex Website that London is under an hour away by train.
Hope this helps.

Came back from Brighton last Sunday to London and it took about 3 hours more than it should have done. We had to get a bus to 3 Bridges. It was okay but only because I wasn't in much of a rush. It was due to engineering works but I have a feeling that on sundays the line is always a bit dodgy!
Also, it may be 1 hour from station to station but what about getting to the uni/ home from the station too.
Hello :biggrin: I'm hopefully doing Neuroscience with Cognitive Science in September and have made it my firm :smile: They gave me an offer for BBB or ABC which is lower than their ABB entry requirements - but hey I'm definitely not complaining :tongue:

Agreed that East Slope looked a bit grim, even though apparently it's the 'party district'. So I wouldnt expect to get much sleep living there xD I'm hoping to get into Lewes Court, Brighthelm or Swanborough ^^

Brighton is lovely, I've lived in Eastbourne for a while and love to go to Brighton for shopping, it's so lovely and vibrant, plus we get awesome bands come play there occasionally which is always a bonus ^^
Reply 552
Original post by Cryptorchid306
Hello :biggrin: I'm hopefully doing Neuroscience with Cognitive Science in September and have made it my firm :smile: They gave me an offer for BBB or ABC which is lower than their ABB entry requirements - but hey I'm definitely not complaining :tongue:

Agreed that East Slope looked a bit grim, even though apparently it's the 'party district'. So I wouldnt expect to get much sleep living there xD I'm hoping to get into Lewes Court, Brighthelm or Swanborough ^^

Brighton is lovely, I've lived in Eastbourne for a while and love to go to Brighton for shopping, it's so lovely and vibrant, plus we get awesome bands come play there occasionally which is always a bonus ^^

Hello :smile: I'm putting Sussex as my insurance for Neuroscience, but possibly seeing if I could switch to Medical Neuroscience. ABB/AAC offer, though :/

Anyone know if you can apply for accommodation if it's your insurance? You can with the uni I'm putting as my firm, but that doesn't help me much :tongue:
Reply 553
Original post by KayeO'Doherty
If I had to make a decision right this moment I would choose Sussex because I've seen it 3 times and know practically everything about it whereas I've only been to Durham once. Will know more when I've been on the Durham open day!
Do u like Sussex the most? What are your other choices?

Sussex is definately my favorite - i've firmed it already :smile: I got offers from Leicester, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Sheffield too. I REALLY liked Sheffield, but when it came down to my decision, the university just didn't seem very "me" if you get what i mean?
Original post by braiiins
Hello :smile: I'm putting Sussex as my insurance for Neuroscience, but possibly seeing if I could switch to Medical Neuroscience. ABB/AAC offer, though :/

Anyone know if you can apply for accommodation if it's your insurance? You can with the uni I'm putting as my firm, but that doesn't help me much :tongue:

Ooh yay fellow neurosciencer (?) :tongue:.
Don't think so I'm afraid :frown: It comes as a first come first served to firm offer applicants and I think you apply for accomodation if it's your insurance after you've got your results :l x
Reply 555
Firmed Sussex a couple of evenings ago. So, so excited, yet so nervous!
Reply 556
Original post by loooochy
Firmed Sussex a couple of evenings ago. So, so excited, yet so nervous!

What subject??
Reply 557
Just put Sussex as my insurance for Neuroscience :smile:
Sussex told me they'd get back to me Monday. They didn't. My course is in extra. They're probably fishing for better applicants and keeping me for back up.

Thanks Sussex you really know how to make a girl feel special.:frown:
Reply 559
Original post by Beebumble
Sussex told me they'd get back to me Monday. They didn't. My course is in extra. They're probably fishing for better applicants and keeping me for back up.

Thanks Sussex you really know how to make a girl feel special.:frown:

It probably depends on how competitive the course is, what did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending