The Student Room Group

What is the point in pure maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by When you see it...
So you are saying that pure maths (rather, what I am calling pure maths which it seems may not be the actual definition) is used in visiting other planets?

You know what, you're smarter than you look.
Original post by Raiden10
You know what, you're smarter than you look.

He may be very naive, but I doubt mocking him will make him understand any quicker.
How about this for a personal attack. You're 16, I'm 23, you don't know anything, shut up and listen to what me and other people who know more than you have to say.

...and you come across as a complete dickhead. Young people are often better equipped to do something that will actually change the world than closed-minded old people with your attitude as they have not been indoctrinated with the etiquette and conventions/routines of their discipline or society in general. Joan of Arc was like 13 when she kicked the English army's arse. Pascal was quite young when he made all of those discoveries about maths. Hitler was grown up when he started Nazism. I think you are the one who needs to grow up and accept that sometimes people disagree with you.

Original post by hassi94
Sorry I'm just getting irritated. It's not that I have a problem with questioning things, just that your questions are dumbfounded, and if you took time to research a bit more about maths then you might not be asking these questions.

It happened with the 0.999 thing (though that was more from posters than the thread starter) and also the discussion about 'ability' and this new one about pi. It's like people are just arguing for arguments' sake

These questions are my research and this is the exact premise with which I started this thread. It's not as though I could have googled 'what is the point in pure maths' and get any answer other than some hyperbole about gaining knowledge/wisdom from some snobby out-of-touch academic.
The only one of those discussions I have read is the 0.999 thing. I accept that it is interesting, but I just don't think we should expend our resources (skilled mathematicians) trying to prove it or disprove it.
Ignorance... overload... cannot take... much more. :ahhhhh:
Reply 64
Original post by Freier._.lance
He may be very naive, but I doubt mocking him will make him understand any quicker.

I disagree, actually, but you might be right.
Why does there even have to be a point? What's the point in studying french literature, or history, or anthropology? The academic study of things in general help to enrich society.
Pascal was quite young when he made all of those discoveries about maths.

Dafuq? Are you trying to imply you're a genius?! :eek:
Reply 67
...and you come across as a complete dickhead. Young people are often better equipped to do something that will actually change the world than closed-minded old people with your attitude as they have not been indoctrinated with the etiquette and conventions/routines of their discipline or society in general. Joan of Arc was like 13 when she kicked the English army's arse. Pascal was quite young when he made all of those discoveries about maths. Hitler was grown up when he started Nazism. I think you are the one who needs to grow up and accept that sometimes people disagree with you.

So you're interested in history eh? Pointless subject I reckon. Why don't we just derive it when we need it?
Reply 68

Hitler also hated maths, if you want to pick hairs. It was his worst subject. His talent was in painting (albeit medium).

You're actually right that just because you're 16 doesn't make you wrong. But you need to learn respect and there's only so many ways to do that.
Reply 69
The difference is, you haven't seen a lot of people like me, but I've seen a lot of people like you. As such I can identify a common thread. It's not that these people don't recognise that they are wrong - nothing wrong with that. It's the refusal to even consider the possibility. To not even consider it as worthy of a second thought.
Reply 70
Hitler was grown up when he started Nazism. I think you are the one who needs to grow up and accept that sometimes people disagree with you..

Oh dear, Godwin's Law. You've just forfeited your entire argument and forever more you will have to accept that you can't justify your ludicrous claims of pure maths lacking a meaningful existence or practical use. That's just the way it is I'm afraid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just to clarify my stance, I think if something has real-world application, I no longer consider it to be 'pure maths'.

That leaves nothing then, everything in Pure Mathematics has some sort of application. Take Number Theory for example; long considered the most inapplicable area of Mathematics now forms the foundation of modern encryption theory. No Number Theory, no e-commerce. That's just one example, there are many others.

However, Pure Mathematics isn't studied for its applications, it's studied for its beauty. Humans are obsessed with pattern and Pure Mathematicians simply extend this fascination by attempting to discover non-obvious aspects in complex mathematical phenomena.

Trying to explain the beauty of Mathematics to someone with no formal training in Mathematics is like trying to explain the beauty of Mozart to a deaf person. Shoo!
Reply 72
"Pure Maths".. The hint is in the name - it's maths for its own sake so it is inherently pointless according to your definition of usefulness (not unlike art, for example).
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Dafuq? Are you trying to imply you're a genius?! :eek:

No, I was disproving by counterexample.
See what I did there?

Original post by Spungo
Oh dear, Godwin's Law. You've just forfeited your entire argument and forever more you will have to accept that you can't justify your ludicrous claims of pure maths lacking a meaningful existence or practical use. That's just the way it is I'm afraid.

No. Everyone is 'wrong' about some things, that doesn't invalidate all of their other opinions/beliefs/perspectives. This is also a response to the people saying 'Hitler hated maths' to make it seem like that opinion is bad as a result. Hitler also breathed. Is that bad? Should we stop breathing. Anyway I study maths so I am not 'bad' at it, I just don't see the point in maths for the sake of maths.

The difference is, you haven't seen a lot of people like me, but I've seen a lot of people like you. As such I can identify a common thread. It's not that these people don't recognise that they are wrong - nothing wrong with that. It's the refusal to even consider the possibility. To not even consider it as worthy of a second thought.

There is nobody like you and there is nobody like me. You shouldn't judge me based on other people who you think I may be similar to, based on this one issue that you have debated with me. Also, I'm not saying that it would be impossible for me to be wrong (That was the whole point of me starting this thread - to see if there is a justification for pure maths which I agree with).
I am not being disrespectful, so I don't know what you mean in the other post. Just because I disagree with you, that doesn't mean that I am not showing you respect. I don't see why you deserve more respect because you are older though (although I assume you were joking)...
Original post by 117r
This thread has become ridiculous. It really is frustrating reading some of this, so I will explain a short response.

The first point to make is that there really is a point to exploring maths for the sole purpose of discovering more and developing human knowledge. The human thirst for knowledge in any area could be argued to be part of the reason for our species being so successful. This thirst, while it may not obviously lead to practical applications, in the long run may well provide a complete understanding of the world that will have an application. This again is true of any subject. The study of ancient history could be argued to have little relevance to today. Civilisation has changed lots since thousands of years ago. Yet it is still a (for want of a better word without sounding too keen) good subject to study, since it provides an insight into humanity. In the same way, the study of abstract maths, science and indeed art could perhaps provide an insight into the workings of the universe, something that will always be of interest to humanity. You can't seriously say that you have never wanted to know more about something just for the sake of knowing, even if that knowledge won't provide you with a substantial 'practical application'.

Secondly, maths can't just be developed when and if you need it. Lots of it is far too complex and would make any science (i.e. real world, practical) problem ridiculously difficult to solve. This is because science is applied mathematics. If you had to derive the mathematics from first principles whenever you wanted to use it in science, while theoretically it would be possible, it would also be ridiculously time-consuming and preposterous for other reasons. Therefore, there is a subject dedicated to deriving and developing the pure maths that constitutes the fundamentals of practical science. It isn't because someone one day decided that that was how it should be, but rather because that's the only way it can be. Without a good understanding of pure maths, hardly anything remotely interesting in science can be achieved. To really understand what I'm on about here, you probably need to think beyond your (and my, I'm only just learning A-level maths myself) understanding of maths being relatively simple problems and concepts. There is some exceptionally tricky stuff out there which does have applications in science.

Thirdly, someone did state at one point that mathematical proof is no different from scientific proof, and is just based on assumptions. This is incorrect. Mathematical proof (at least, all that I'm aware of) is based fundamentally on pure logic (scientific proof is slightly different in that it might be based somewhat on assumptions made in a commonly accepted and logical model developed from masses of experimental data). Mathematical proof is not silly. Without it, we couldn't have mathematics, since we must prove things in order to say they are true. I don't really know how better to explain it, but to describe mathematical proof as 'silly' is ridiculous, since without it there would be no 'practical' science.

Fourthly, addressing one person's point about it being selfish to study abstract maths that is of no immediate practical application, is it also selfish for the artist (poet, musician etc.) or novelist to do their work? They provide many things. They entertain, their work is a catalyst for thought and they provide extremely interesting works for people to ponder over, debate, marvel at and enjoy. The same to at least some extent (although less obviously, and often to a smaller audience) applies to mathematicians exploring extremely abstract maths.

Finally, as with all matters it is crucial to keep an open mind, and not let your immediate thoughts get in the way of things. I believe that one should try to look at philosophical problems from a variety of perspectives, and hence I would be very interested to hear any responses to what I've just written. Hopefully I haven't been spewing COMPLETE nonsense!

Probably the best reply so far. Will respond tomorrow as I'm going to sleep.
Also, I see what people are saying with the computer systems/encryption being descended from pure maths and I accept that they probably would never have been invented if it wasn't for 'pure maths'. That gives me something to dream about...
Reply 75
Original post by 117r

Thirdly, someone did state at one point that mathematical proof is no different from scientific proof, and is just based on assumptions. This is incorrect. Mathematical proof (at least, all that I'm aware of) is based fundamentally on pure logic (scientific proof is slightly different in that it might be based somewhat on assumptions made in a commonly accepted and logical model developed from masses of experimental data). Mathematical proof is not silly. Without it, we couldn't have mathematics, since we must prove things in order to say they are true. I don't really know how better to explain it, but to describe mathematical proof as 'silly' is ridiculous, since without it there would be no 'practical' science.

While I agree with many sentiments from your post, this one is a bit dubious. We shouldn't forget Gödel's lesson that every set of proofs always has to have some axioma's that cannot be proven, but are rather assumed. Of course, they are often very plausible and agreeable, but it's an illusion to consider it some form of "pure truth" that is completely without assumption. Of course it's silly to suggest that proofs as such are 'silly' though.
Reply 76
whats the point of biology? whats the point of knowing whats inside of us, its not going to change anything. Whats the point of any theory? Whats the point of life if we just die in the end, why should we try?
Original post by kerily
Finding the dot product of two vectors isn't pure maths :lolwut:

As for the OP, if pure maths is no longer allowed to be classed as such when it starts being useful, obviously no pure maths will be 'useful' by your definition.

Well you may need to speak to the department of education because they have it in C4 pure maths A2 level XD

(And out of interest, what defines pure maths?)
Reply 78
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Well you may need to speak to the department of education because they have it in C4 pure maths A2 level XD

(And out of interest, what defines pure maths?)

Pure Maths is generally university topics such as Analysis and Group/Number Theory.
These topics are mainly based off proofs and generally are more rigorous than there applied counterparts. (Most applied Maths has theorems based off and proven rigorously from Pure Maths)

Applied Maths is generally seen as Calculus, Statistics, Mechanics, etc...(All of A level Maths generally falls in here). (Not to sure where Linear Algebra falls in this one as it can be a bit of both depending on how it's taught)

A level Maths contains little/no actual Pure Maths in it apart from maybe Proof by Induction in FP1 which begins to follow the logical thought which is used in topics like Analysis.

The A level course really should cover more Analysis based material as A level Maths barely scratches the surface on what studying Maths is truly about.
Reply 79
Original post by Humberto
While I agree with many sentiments from your post, this one is a bit dubious. We shouldn't forget Gödel's lesson that every set of proofs always has to have some axioma's that cannot be proven, but are rather assumed. Of course, they are often very plausible and agreeable, but it's an illusion to consider it some form of "pure truth" that is completely without assumption. Of course it's silly to suggest that proofs as such are 'silly' though.

Ah yes. Do bear in mind that this was spewing out of me at close to midnight on a school night! No but I understand what you're getting at, and I'm not surprised that you saw this point as rather dubious since a) I was tired and b) I have no real experience of advanced mathematics (the A level course contains no actual pure maths as has been described on this thread). My paragraph should really be rephrased, you're point just wasn't something that occurred to me at the time.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest