Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medical Universities stance on candidates resitting to get an A*?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Which would medical universities prefer in general:

    A candiate with A*A*AA without resitting any modules?

    Or A*A*A*A* with two module resists?
    • 22 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    I don't know. It would always depend on the school.

    But wait a minute? What would the grades be before the resits? If it was straight As, it would be stupid to resit just to get straight A*s unless an A* was a requirement for Oxbridge or something.

    or would it be something like BBBB, and those A*s are obtained after resits?

    Either way, many universities do not accept resits, so these universities would be completely off your list straight away. Then there are some that say it is a factor, then there are some that say it's not considered if there are less than a certain number of resits.
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I don't know. It would always depend on the school.

    But wait a minute? What would the grades be before the resits? If it was straight As, it would be stupid to resit just to get straight A*s unless an A* was a requirement for Oxbridge or something.

    or would it be something like BBBB, and those A*s are obtained after resits?

    Either way, many universities do not accept resits, so these universities would be completely off your list straight away. Then there are some that say it is a factor, then there are some that say it's not considered if there are less than a certain number of resits.
    I'm in year 13. My situation is that i already have an A* in maths and i'm very likely to get another A* in further maths, given the fact i've already got 95+ UMS in two of the three required modules. I'm also doing biology and chemistry. However, come results day in a few weeks; if my UMS scores in the biology and chemistry modules i took were not high enough for an A*, would it be wise to resit those individual modules to get an A* in june? Or is it better to settle with A's?
    • 4 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Settle with A's, no med schools care after 2A*'s and only one cares for 2A*'s and that's if you get a C in the 3rd a level.
    • 1 follower
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    You haven't got a chance at med school with those grades anyway. You need a minimum of 6 A2's for a Med course really, you need to look at it: are you clever enough? it's harsh but it's the truth.
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthurry)
    You haven't got a chance at med school with those grades anyway. You need a minimum of 6 A2's for a Med course really, you need to look at it: are you clever enough? it's harsh but it's the truth.
    If you're going to be sarcastic/troll then at least be funny.
    • 7 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't care either way, unless you're resitting the modules outside of the two year period. If it's just an extra module within the two year period then no-one cares as no university can even see module resits except Cambridge in which you have to specify your module marks and any resits on their SAQ beforehand. But even then they don't mind a couple of resits.

    If you're in year 13 you have an offer already? Or planning a gap year? If the former then you know your conditions; if the latter then what I said above applies.
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Question answered. Thanks for the helpful replies. Well, mostly
    • 22 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamweaver)
    I'm in year 13. My situation is that i already have an A* in maths and i'm very likely to get another A* in further maths, given the fact i've already got 95+ UMS in two of the three required modules. I'm also doing biology and chemistry. However, come results day in a few weeks; if my UMS scores in the biology and chemistry modules i took were not high enough for an A*, would it be wise to resit those individual modules to get an A* in june? Or is it better to settle with A's?
    I would settle for the As. If you held an offer, it wouldn't make much difference. If you didn't, and want to apply next year with your A-levels done, it wouldn't make much of a difference past the first A* probably, I mean, the requirement is 3 As, that's what the offers are.

Reply

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 23, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.