The Student Room Group

Afghan Qur'an burning at Bagram sparks fresh protests

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steevee
What's ****ing hilarious is that Muslims dispose of Qurans by burning. Every person 'protesting' about this is a retarded hypocrite.

And if anyone is turned to the Taliban cause by an incident like this, I hope their bomb malfunctions while they are in their own home.

Muslims seldom actually burn Qu'rans to dispose of them, that's more a culturally backed idea (in the sense that few actually know where the idea is based from) that seems to be passed around quite easily among people. It's more of a, it's what you would do rather than what you actually do, you'd get vilified if you actually did do it as obviously it's a holy book to muslims, and so as I say it's not an actually practised custom.

Though you can understand the anger - a load of charred remains of Qu'rans turn up from a place notorious for killing and torturing Afghans. Quite a fair bit different, and quite a fair bit far away from being a 'retarded hypocrite'.
I just think it's rather absurd they want to kill people over the burning of a book in the first place. It being their religion or not.
Reply 22
Original post by AndroidLight
Muslims seldom actually burn Qu'rans to dispose of them, that's more a culturally backed idea (in the sense that few actually know where the idea is based from) that seems to be passed around quite easily among people. It's more of a, it's what you would do rather than what you actually do, you'd get vilified if you actually did do it as obviously it's a holy book to muslims, and so as I say it's not an actually practised custom.

Though you can understand the anger - a load of charred remains of Qu'rans turn up from a place notorious for killing and torturing Afghans. Quite a fair bit different, and quite a fair bit far away from being a 'retarded hypocrite'.

Oh noes, someone burned a book. Let's riot and kill people and threaten to kill anyone from those countries!

A perfectly reasonable, non-retarded response :cool:
Reply 23
Everyone condemns the people who burnt a book, nobody condemns the people who kill because someone burnt a book.
Original post by Steevee
Oh noes, someone burned a book. Let's riot and kill people and threaten to kill anyone from those countries!

A perfectly reasonable, non-retarded response :cool:

Original post by Captn
Everyone condemns the people who burnt a book, nobody condemns the people who kill because someone burnt a book.

Of course it's to be condemned, it's clearly wrong (btw, do you guys by any chance know how they died / who died? Haven't found any mention yet)

But likewise it's stupid to dismiss out of hand why people are protesting - it's a whole myriad of factors, not least that the book has a lot of value in a lot of people's lives.
Reply 25
Of course it's to be condemned, it's clearly wrong (btw, do you guys by any chance know how they died / who died? Haven't found any mention yet)

But likewise it's stupid to dismiss out of hand why people are protesting - it's a whole myriad of factors, not least that the book has a lot of value in a lot of people's lives.

I have to disagree. When threats of death are issued, riots perpetrated and people killed, on account of someone burning a book, then you can write off that 'protest' as a pure and unadulterated orgy of retardation.

The fact that these people don't say 'We condemn you for burning our Holy Book' but instead 'KIll those who insult Islam' says everything you need to know about them.
Original post by Steevee
I have to disagree. When threats of death are issued, riots perpetrated and people killed, on account of someone burning a book, then you can write off that 'protest' as a pure and unadulterated orgy of retardation.

The fact that these people don't say 'We condemn you for burning our Holy Book' but instead 'KIll those who insult Islam' says everything you need to know about them.

Are you not generalising here a bit? I'm sure many who protested were just out to give their voice rather than advocate violence.
Reply 27
Are you not generalising here a bit? I'm sure many who protested were just out to give their voice rather than advocate violence.

Yes, I'm sure they were. It's just coincidence that every time these people protest there are deaths. Maybe there are some who just want to protest peacfully. Maybe they should try and stop their 'brothers' who seem to be everywhere in every protest.
Reply 28
Original post by Steevee

I too think it is silly that people kill each other and invest so much emotion into an abstract concept such as religion. But I too dont understand the equal violence and emotion invested into ethnicity and nationality. However, for some people national traditions are very important and I respect that. Equally, for some people it is tradition that a holy book be treated with respect and as it is of no detriment to me, I too will respect this. I am not making any such comment on the killings, that is utterly deplorable. Instead I am tackling your later comments where you make patronising comments about the act of burning what you deem to be "just a book".
Reply 29
Original post by Perseveranze
Looks like Afghans are finally waking up.

Was there a point in time where they wouldn't have responded to a Koran burning with violence? In what sense are they "waking up"?
Original post by Nick100
Was there a point in time where they wouldn't have responded to a Koran burning with violence? In what sense are they "waking up"?

Yes, because technically, if someone invaded your land and caused the deaths of millions and destroyed the lifes of thousands, you would usually "wake up" you know?

Anyways, it looks like Taliban will have a busy recruiting week.
Reply 31
Yes, because technically, if someone invaded your land and caused the deaths of millions and destroyed the lifes of thousands, you would usually "wake up" you know?

Ten years after the fact? And surely if the Taliban are having a busy recruiting week the Afghans aren't "waking up"?
Reply 32

Who caused millions of deaths in Afghanistan? I think you will find its the Taliban killing thousands of Afghans. Its not the US sowing IEDs throughout the country.
I came up with a theory recently that the only reason extremists go so mental about such trivial thigns is that they have nothing better to do with their time

(seriously some burnt books get this kind of reaction? It's not like it hurts them personally, unlike killing someone or burning out some buildings. Admitably they could even do something a bit more symbolic and burn themselves like the monks from Tibet. Although in the case of an Afghan I really would not care as much. Instead let's all just go burn other peoples **** and ruin some other peoples day)

Rather than try to peacefully solve the problem or put that energy to something useful like building up their desert wasteland. Instead they go out in mobs and burn there poor ass country even more.

Seriously Afghanistan should just be burnt down and reduced to nothing but earth and then salted so that no more heroin can be grown :colone: See we can do overboard reactions aswell. Let's hope the west never "wakes up" or we will be living in athird world hell hole aswell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Islam the religion of peace.
Why do we try to help these people exactly?
those americans are ****ing morons, i hate people like that... "oh it was just an accident"... yeah right.. more like a provocation, they thought they were being clever and funny.. retards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Captn

i don't think anyone is saying that is excusable behaviour... but those americans knew exactly what they were doing. they knew it would be offensive, they knew people would get angry.. and there would probably be violence. i don't think these americans who did this are just as bad, but they're getting close.
Original post by Bellissima
i don't think anyone is saying that is excusable behaviour... but those americans knew exactly what they were doing. they knew it would be offensive, they knew people would get angry.. and there would probably be violence. i don't think these americans who did this are just as bad, but they're getting close.

Except that is how you dispose of the Qur'an - burn it. Hardly a reason to start rioting.
Original post by Silkielemon
Except that is how you dispose of the Qur'an - burn it. Hardly a reason to start rioting.

i didn't say it was an acceptable reason to start rioting but they knew when burning them what it would spark off and i really wouldn't be surprise if it was intended as a middle to these people.

Quick Reply

Latest