The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused or "Pescetarian" in shorter words.

Vegetarians don't eat animals for the fact that they have a heart and are living and can't be regrown like plants.

What I don't understand is how you can be so hypocritical and not eat animals because you find it "cruel etc" yet happily eat a fish?

Let me make this simple for you.
Don't look if you're screamish (mods don't delete as I have given a warning)

Spoiler

They both breath and move freely. Yet you don't eat one but do for the other.

If that's not not being confused then I don't know what is.

Scroll to see replies

This has been a pet peeve of mine as well. I've been to many a restaurant where fish is labelled vegetarian :s-smilie:

However, some vegetarians do require fish in order to maintain good health (especially in old age).
Reply 2
You're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. Simple as that.
I know. I've always found it a little warped. I suppose a fish is not a mammal which could have an influence :dontknow:
Reply 4
Yeah it can be annoying. On a school trip of mine I put down I was a vegetarian and I was surprised when they gave a tuna sandwich O.o at lunch time. So I had to share a cheese sandwich with a teacher lol.
Reply 5
My friend calls herself a vegetarian, yet eats fish. I've never understood that. Is it because a fish isn't a mammal? It's still alive.
Original post by kerily
You're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. Simple as that.

THANK YOU! It's so annoying having to explain to people because by definition a vegetarian does eat fish and eggs. When I tell people I always have to add on that I don't eat fish or eggs! Then comes the confused stare and the usual reply "Oh so you're vegan???" *facepalm*
Reply 7
My dad has this odd notion that humans are not meant to eat meat of the texture of bird/mammal.That we can't digest it. Obviously fish flesh is a lot easier to digest but still... :dontknow: I'm not sure about that. I've eaten enough red steaks and I've never seen them come out in a similar state after I'm done with them.

He calls himself a vegetarian for ease, but would correct it to pescetarian if prompted.

Anyway all I'm saying is vegetarianism and hence pescetarianism isn't solely about the love of animals and so on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ra Ra
My friend calls herself a vegetarian, yet eats fish. I've never understood that. Is it because a fish isn't a mammal? It's still alive.

I have a friend who is a 'committed vegetarian' but likes to eat beef etc on sundays for roast dinner because its tradition...
I need new friends.
Reply 9
There are people who eat fish and call themselves vegetarians :s-smilie:
im really confused............i thought being a vegetarian you don't eat anything alive in the sense of animals/meat of any sort.
(edited 12 years ago)
i would suggest vegetarians in general are confused.

not eating meat? :s-smilie:

yeaah neggers keep negging, you won't change my opinion of vegetarians... strange people. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
They're called pescetarians, not vegetarians.

Saying 'vegetarians who eat fish' is like saying 'nuns who have sex'.
Reply 12
Someone who eats fish isn't a vegetarian. Simple as.
Well, I think it's just because humans can't detect the piteous chemical screams of plants as they're being murdered.

Instead of moralising about other people's supposedly cruel diets, why not just enjoy the diet you choose, after all, it's your choice and no one else's. It needs no justification.
Reply 14
You're right.

Vegetarians don't eat meat. Fish is meat. If you eat fish you're not vegetarian.

Simple.
Reply 15
Original post by TLK
So I had to share a cheese sandwich with a teacher lol.

...you complain about fish but you'll eat cheese?
you're just as bad!
Reply 16
Original post by blueray
Vegetarians who eat fish are confused or "Pescetarian" in shorter words.

LMAO

I love that this pisses you off so much that you had to create a whole thread about it!
Original post by aliluvschoc
My dad has this odd notion that humans are not meant to eat meat of the texture of bird/mammal.That we can't digest it. Obviously fish flesh is a lot easier to digest but still... :dontknow: I'm not sure about that. I've eaten enough red steaks and I've never seen them come out in a similar state after I'm done with them.

He calls himself a vegetarian for ease, but would correct it to pescetarian if prompted.

Anyway all I'm saying is vegetarianism and hence pescetarianism isn't solely about the love of animals and so on.

This. I'm 'vegeterian', and class myself as one because its easier than saying pesceterian as you will be surprised how many peole don't know what that means. And I'm not vegetarian because I love animals or anything, purely because I've been raised during a time when my parents had become vegetarian. I'll probably eat meat later in life but a lot of the time I only look the look of meat dishes in restruants/on TV.
Reply 18
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I know. I've always found it a little warped. I suppose a fish is not a mammal which could have an influence :dontknow:

Neither is a chicken...
Reply 19
Original post by TLK
Yeah it can be annoying. On a school trip of mine I put down I was a vegetarian and I was surprised when they gave a tuna sandwich O.o at lunch time. So I had to share a cheese sandwich with a teacher lol.

I'd have been worried that the cheese wasn't vegetarian, myself :no: Lots of cheese is, but some isn't (particularly hard cheeses) and it is well worth checking.

Quick Reply