The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inspiration91
Why don't vegetarians eat egg? :s-smilie:

I don't understand that either. Why have other dairy products, but not egg? It'd be nice if someone explains that to me
Reply 41
Original post by inspiration91
Why don't vegetarians eat egg? :s-smilie:

well for the 'ethical' veggies
to start with, they take the chicks, and seperate out the females and the males.
they throw the males into the grinder.
they raise the females, the females that cease the lay eggs, they kill and are sold.

eggs are made in the exact same way chicken is

for the veggies who are veggies for their health, they're just as bad as chicken.

for the environmentalist veggies, same reason as chicken again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by destroyerofsouls
So damned true. Plants are just as alive as animals. Just because they don't move much or make any noise doesn't make them worthy of any less moral consideration.

A fish moves around more than a plant or a tree. A fish has a fish brain but plants do not have brains.A fish has friends it goes around with but a plant has no mates.
I never understand why people that aren't vegetarians care so much about this sort of stuff. I'm not a veggie, I'm a meat eater, but if someone eats this and doesn't eat that I don't care. But you get these people that are so massively wound up about why people choose to be veggies, or if they say they're veggies and eat fish oh what a crime etc, who cares!

We all have things we eat and things we don't eat, I don't eat pork but I eat bacon, this causes massive consternation to some people, they are like "well its still PIG how can you eat bacon and not eat pork you HYPOCRITE", my answer is I find pork heavy and stodgy and never liked it but I like a nice bit of crispy bacon on a sandwich...just personal taste, but to some people this is serious business and they have to spend ages arguing to me why I should eat pork.

Yes maybe veggies that eat fish are hard to categorise, its like if someone's bisexual....oh no...are they GAY?? or just CONFUSED??? If you let yourself get wound up about these things you can waste hours from your life that you will never get back.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joey11223
I don't exactly understand that point of view. I mean I understand the dislike of intensive farming. But say a group of free-range chickens with plenty of space. They're living a rather natural life, albeit without the natural risks of predation a wildfowl would have. Yes they're killed by us, but it's less painful then being eaten alive and frankly, the chicken isn't going to care which predator consumes it. They get a comparatively better time of it in a farm situation.

I assume she checks if fish are from farms then? You'd have to be careful, especially at the likes of restaurants or processed foods which contain fish as they often don't state the source. Salmons a big one..a lot is farmed. Then prawns..I work at a supermarket..I know all our frozen prawns are from farmed sources, mainly Vietnam, I'd assume other supermarkets are similar.

I think she does, yeah. I'd assume she does anyway. She doesn't eat fish when she goes out to restaurants and she doesn't eat much of it when she does choose to anyway.
This thread totally reminded me of this joke Joan Rivers once said about a conversation she had with a friend:

Woman: "MRS RIVERS! I'm a vegetarian! I don't eat anything with eyes!"
Joan Rivers: "What about your husband!!?"

:tongue:

But in all seriousness, vegetarians don't eat fish!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by marcusfox
That reminds me of the time my friend accidentally gave a Muslim friend a ham sandwich, and never having tasted ham before, wanted to know what it was because it was quite delicious.

lol, I actually chuckled in real :colondollar:. Your friend should have checked/asked what it was. I loved how the guy told him its beef xD.
Original post by de_monies
I don't understand that either. Why have other dairy products, but not egg? It'd be nice if someone explains that to me

That doesn't really make much sense to me either, but then that's just someone putting their own "twist" on it. Vegetarians can and generally do eat eggs.

The only arguments I can think of about not eating eggs also apply to milk.
That reminds me of the time my friend accidentally gave a Muslim friend a ham sandwich, and never having tasted ham before, wanted to know what it was because it was quite delicious.

I lol'd. I still think Muslims eating bacon flavour crisps is cheeky though! I remember a guy in six form was munching on some smoky bacon walkers and I went "hey thought you couldn't eat pork!" and he goes "yeah but there's no meat in here it's just pork flavour" and I was like "...surely it's the principle of the matter?". Granted they don't exactly taste much like bacon but still...
It's not always their choice. My friend went vegetarian, but became seriously ill due to not getting enough protien (might be something else). Long story short, the doctor said she had to at least eat fish or have serious health problems.
Also, technically they're not vegetarian, they're pescetarian.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I never understand why people that aren't vegetarians care so much about this sort of stuff. I'm not a veggie, I'm a meat eater, but if someone eats this and doesn't eat that I don't care. But you get these people that are so massively wound up about why people choose to be veggies, or if they say their veggies and eat fish oh what a crime etc, who cares!

We all have things we eat and things we don't eat, I don't eat pork but I eat bacon, this causes massive consternation to some people, they are like "well its still PIG how can you eat bacon and not eat pork you HYPOCRITE", my answer is I find pork heavy and stodgy and never liked it but I like a nice bit of crispy bacon on a sandwich...just personal taste, but to some people this is serious business and they have to spend ages arguing to me why I should eat pork.

Yes maybe veggies that eat fish are hard to categorise, its like if someone's bisexual....oh no...are they GAY?? or just CONFUSED??? If you let yourself get wound up about these things you can waste hours from your life that you will never get back.

I didn't eat pork for over 20 years untill i discovered dice pork belly in Sainsburys
I never understand why people that aren't vegetarians care so much about this sort of stuff. I'm not a veggie, I'm a meat eater, but if someone eats this and doesn't eat that I don't care. But you get these people that are so massively wound up about why people choose to be veggies, or if they say their veggies and eat fish oh what a crime etc, who cares!

I can't say about others, but I only (very vaguely!) care out of principle. It (again, very vaguely) irritates me because it causes lots of confusion from non-vegetarians about what vegetarianism actually is. Plus then there is the "lying" side of it.

Well that is just stupid because there is nothing hypocritical about what food your taste buds like. Whereas it is hypocritical to criticise the killing of certain animals but not the killing of others.

Veggies that eat fish aren't hard to categorise. At the most basic level, they aren't vegetarian. Then at the next level, they are pescatarian. Is that really that hard?
I call myself a vegetarian but eat fish and eggs. However, I will correct this to pescetarian if prompted- it's just easier not going through life explaining things all the time.

Personally, I don't eat meat simply because I don't like the taste. I don't like the smell and on the occasions I've eaten meat I find it difficult not to gag. I loathe fish even more, if possible, but due to various medical conditions I have to eat it. I'm hoping that at some point in the future I'll be able to stop eating fish because I find it disgusting. Although given that I'm hoping to move to France, where they don't really understand vegetarianism, I might face a few problems.

And to everyone who eats meet yet is caring about this- what's it to you anyway? I'm not hurting anyone by being slightly inaccurate, or by not fitting your idea of what a vegetarian should be.
Well, I think it's just because humans can't detect the piteous chemical screams of plants as they're being murdered.

Instead of moralising about other people's supposedly cruel diets, why not just enjoy the diet you choose, after all, it's your choice and no one else's. It needs no justification.

I disagree, if your actions are indirectly or directly affecting the lives of other beings then some justification is needed. I don't eat pigs or children because I don't think the suffering involved is necessary. I eat plants because their capacity to suffer is more or less non existent.

If you moralise people's other actions then why not their dietary choices?
Original post by joey11223
I lol'd. I still think Muslims eating bacon flavour crisps is cheeky though! I remember a guy in six form was munching on some smoky bacon walkers and I went "hey thought you couldn't eat pork!" and he goes "yeah but there's no meat in here it's just pork flavour" and I was like "...surely it's the principle of the matter?". Granted they don't exactly taste much like bacon but still...

How could it possibly be cheeky? It's not "forbidden" because the taste of bacon is unholy, it's forbidden because they feel the animal is unclean or whatever other reason there is for it.

Exactly the same with vegetarianism. I think you'd struggle to find one that finds the taste of meat the "evil" aspect of the entire thing.
Original post by Doubledog
A fish moves around more than a plant or a tree. A fish has a fish brain but plants do not have brains.A fish has friends it goes around with but a plant has no mates.

1) Biochemically, a fish is just as alive as a plant (which includes trees). Plants do move, why should how slow they move matter?
2) A brain is nothing special, it is a ball of chemicals that coordinates how an animal behaves. Plants also have a system of co-ordination, but it isn't stored all in one bit of the body, instead it is spread out all over it.
3) Fish don't have "friends". Seriously.

If you eat a fish/chicken/brocolli, who is to care? And why should you care that they care?
Original post by redferry
No-one keeps a chicken or a cow in their house...
In fact surely no-one bar farmers keep cows? Cows are a lot further removes from pets than fish are.

Actually I know several people who have pet chickens. And yes, cows are not common pets as such, but people DON'T CARE ABOUT FISH whereas if a cow died before planned PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE UPSET.
No-one cares about fish! They are not popular animals!
Why do you insist on nitpicking?! I am :bored:
Are vegetarians people that don't eat meat only because they think it is wrong, or does it include people that choose not to eat meat for other reasons (e.g. to test their willpower).
I never understand why people that aren't vegetarians care so much about this sort of stuff.

Exactly, good post. Why do so many meat eaters like to shout "hypocrite!" at almost-veggies? It's a lifestyle choice, not a religion! I'm a veggie (no meat or fish) but i'm not absolutely anal about it (and no, I don't preach- fair enough to be pissed off if the veggie in question is preachy).
I figure that avoiding meat almost all of the time is making a big enough difference. It's just not possible to live completely ethically in this day and age, so I just do my best.
Could it be that deep down some meat eaters feel uncomfortable with their own choices?
Original post by brittanna
Are vegetarians people that don't eat meat only because they think it is wrong, or does it include people that choose not to eat meat for other reasons (e.g. to test their willpower).

Regardless of motives (ethical/health/to test will power) if a person does not eat meat and fish then they are a vegetarian. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest