The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by joverbena
Still nothing from Goldsmiths. Maybe they are doing it alphabetically:frown:

OK all here is the reading list sent to me as an interviewee for Critical Fine Art Practice.

It's a hand out that says 'Don't Panic" on the front with lots of blah blah, saying on the first year of the course we will be introduced to Art Theory, and it's a bit like philosophy where the main questions are trying to answer : Who are we? What are we doing here (and now) What should we be doing? - Then we respond to these questions through art.

It's a good idea to acquire the habit of reading for a couple of hours each day (!)

The only book you should really by at the outset is the first on the list: Art in Theory: 1900-2000
Reliable narration of the progression of 20th century art.

Reading List (I won't put the descriptions because that would just be masochistic of me)

ESSENTIAL:
-Charles Harrison and Paul Wood: Art in Theory 1900-2000
-Hal Foster et al : Art Since 1900 (Thams and Hudson)
-Alan How: Critical Theory (Palgrave Macmillan)
-John Lechte: Fifty Key Contemporary Thinkers: From Structuralism to postmodernity (Routledge)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
-Hal Foster(ed): Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture (New Press)
-Tony Godfrey:Conceptual Art (Phaidon)
-Madan Sarup: And introductory Guide to Post-Structuralism and Postmodernism (Harvester Wheatsheaf 1993)
-Katy Deepwell (ed) New Feminist Art Criticism (Manchester University Press)

NOTEWORTHY:
-Nicolas Bourriaud: Post Production: Culture as Screenplay: How Art Reprograms the World
-Jacques Ranciere: The Future of the Image

THEORY IN THE PARK (books that do theory by other means, metaphorical/fictional/anecdotal etc)
-Jorge Luis Borges: Labyrinths
-Lewis Carroll: Alice in Wonderland (CHECK!)
- Matthew Collings: Blimey! - From Bohemia to Britpop: The London Art World from Francis Bacon to Damien Hirst
- W G Seabald: Vertigo (Vintage)

Phew....

I'm reading Art in Theory 1900 - 2000. It's like a brick! But it's interesting to read all the artists statements! I highly recommend!
Reply 941
Original post by apretentiousartist
It is staggering that you are complaing about paying £15, which you chose to do.

I'm intrigued as to how you feel so surely that they didn't look through your portfolio... Quite an assumption.

Allowing people to present their whole portfolio allows students to select the work they wish to be seen. If you want to show 10 finished works, you can. If alternatively you would like to present half a dozen work books and some works in progress, you can. It allows you to present yourself as an artist and I'm surprised that some people, such as yourself, seem to be unhappy with presenting a complete portfolio!

Making the descision to bring more or less work is a personal choice. Bringing a large amount of work does not mean a student hasn't been selective; some people actually make a lot of work!

I've not once said that Slade is wonderful.
I do however think that having an application system where students are able to submit a hard-copy of their portfolio at the first stage of entry is a postive thing. There was a time when all of the institutions used to do this but gone are the days, sadly. I have no doubt that the cost and time involved in such a process has discouraged other instutions in investing in this system of reviewing students work.

I am not belittling you at all. You are, on the other hand, expressing a dislike of a system which allowed the Slade to view your whole portfolio!

Deciding that you 'don't care' about the Slade anymore sounds like a good descision, in your case. You're clearly very unsatisfied with the entry process, for reasons which are seemingly tenuous. It sounds like it is a shame you wasted your time on the entry process for Slade with the conclusions you've come to...

I felt a little bit like it was a waste of time! But I knew that before I chose to apply as they only give interviews to a very select few. I'm glad though that that is the case and therefore there will be a fairly good chance that you can get yourself a place (if you have an interview)! Which will be fab.

However it's kind of ironic that the place that has the lowest chance of gaining entry to was the biggest fuss to apply! This goes for people with or without interview!

Firstly they didn't ask for a digital portfolio, so everyone (well over 1000 people I believe) trooped to Woburn place to hand them in. Then there was the wait on the pavement for an hour to actually hand it in because they were so slow and doing it one at a time! Then to add insult to injury on top of the application fee already paid, they had another £15 off us for the pleasure. It is pure greed! They know they can do it because 'everyone wants a place at UCL'!

No other place I applied to requested any money from me for 'handling and looking through my portfolio' or giving me an interview!
Everywhere else so far has been pretty much painless in the application process (and free!) Also glad that I live in London and didn't spend hundreds on travel.

Well done to everyone who got an interview! :smile:
Reply 942
Original post by arty
I felt a little bit like it was a waste of time! But I knew that before I chose to apply as they only give interviews to a very select few. I'm glad though that that is the case and therefore there will be a fairly good chance that you can get yourself a place (if you have an interview)! Which will be fab.

However it's kind of ironic that the place that has the lowest chance of gaining entry to was the biggest fuss to apply! This goes for people with or without interview!

Firstly they didn't ask for a digital portfolio, so everyone (well over 1000 people I believe) trooped to Woburn place to hand them in. Then there was the wait on the pavement for an hour to actually hand it in because they were so slow and doing it one at a time! Then to add insult to injury on top of the application fee already paid, they had another £15 off us for the pleasure. It is pure greed! They know they can do it because 'everyone wants a place at UCL'!

No other place I applied to requested any money from me for 'handling and looking through my portfolio' or giving me an interview!
Everywhere else so far has been pretty much painless in the application process (and free!) Also glad that I live in London and didn't spend hundreds on travel.

It turns out UCL isn't the only place the you have to pay a fee, a friend on my course had to pay £20 for an interview for a costume design course at the Central School of Speech and Drama! CRAZY... I don't agree with the fee, I understand porters needed to be hired..but it is a bit steep! But the Slade offer a great course with great facilities, maybe it proves your a serious applicant? Who knows!
Original post by arty

Thank you! I would rep, but I've apparently run out today :frown:

@aprententiousartist: See, I am far from the only one who feels this way; your little personal attack was highly unnecessary.
Reply 944
Wow you can find 15 pound on the floor for ****s sake, and can get a job and earn it in 2 hours. Being on the dole pays 70£ a week. And there's student loans giving you a few hundred a semester. Tbh none of us are exactly deprived.

It costs them money to do this, and they'd rather not lose 15k in art funds a year doing it, but would prefer to see physical work, instead of digital images. I don't think the cost of 15£ really matters, you all knew before you applied.

22£ just to apply through UCAS, is much worse, because, that's just to apply to uni through the only system there is.
Reply 945
I feel the same about having to pay for Slade to look at portfolios. If they have 1000 applicants, that's £15,000. just for looking at students' work, over the course of 4 days. Nice work if you can get it whilst still drawing your salary.

I went for an interview elsewhere yesterday and was offered on the spot, as I was at another Uni the week before: these are top art Uni's as far as the league tables go, who obviously like my art. Why make it harder?

What I have realised is that one places definition of fine art differs from another's. I am happy with the 3 offers I have: I still haven't heard from Slade but F them. I also withdrew from another application because I hadn't heard from them since I uploaded my portfolio in December. Why bother with them, if they don't bother with you?

To the person asking about Reading, I have heard others talking about it, and one set of visitors said at the Lancs interview, that they walked away after 10 mins as it was poor facilities wise and setting in Nissan type huts. I think beware of misinterpreting a uni's overall reputation against an individual course.... plus when we phoned up several times there was never anyone in the department.... little things, little clues.

I think the key is to find somewhere you feel comfortable with and can be done with your skill set and qualifications. Princeling, you were never going to make Slade with ACC as they are only interested in applicants who keep their stats up!!! No matter how good an artist you are. They will take the academically qualified over the talented any day.

I discussed all this last night with the 'rents, and they think Slade is Bolloxx, after having to take me there for the open day and to ditch the portfolio ( I hope this salves any hurt feelings of the rejected). I think I only put it down as it was the thing to do, and no longer care - full of Camillas, Sebastions and Chings they say: I best not comment.
Original post by Village Whisper
**** you. I'm really glad 3 other people negged you for that. What a complete ****. I clearly said that they DID look at my other work, but they DIDN'T look at my most recent work which I SPECIFICALLY ORGANISED AND FINISHED for their benefit. How dare you call it a "little folder" and be so disgustingly patronising?!?! There shouldn't be anything "unlucky" about it WHEN I PAID THEM TO LOOK THROUGH IT ALL.

I am using caps here because you clearly are very selective in what you choose to read and comment on, so I'm highlighting the important bits in case you feel the reason for this is that your time is too precious. A bit like the Slade. Maybe you'd like to be paid for your attention, too?

You are being such a ****. And believe it or not, I don't care if it "doesn't add up" to you. You're not all that important, you know. If you can't be pleasant (and yes, you started it a while ago), I think I speak for at least a few other people on this thread when I say we'd rather you didn't bother posting here at all. This was a nice, helpful thread before people like you started causing stupid little arguments for apparently no reason other than maybe to make yourself feel "special".

All I can say is it's a shame your application didn't go how you'd have liked it to.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was trying to provide you with a different perspective as I felt you took an exteremely negative view of an application system which I believe is effective. That was all; but clearly I have angered you quite considerably.

I feel the use of vuglar language against me is quite unecessary. I never once verbally attacked you in that way, I merely expressed my views against yours.

I'm done now and I think you are too. Agree to disagree?

Maybe we'd both have different perspectives if the results of our applications were different? who knows! I certainly wouldn't have called you a vulgar word which has to be starred out though.

Original post by arty

I can understand why you take the view you do.
If you don't get a place, it's obviously a £15 you could have spent elsewhere... If you do, obviously it's well worth the small investment. I firmly believe it's worth a try though: who knows what your chances are unless you put yourself in the position to have your folio looked-at!

Original post by Farout
It turns out UCL isn't the only place the you have to pay a fee, a friend on my course had to pay £20 for an interview for a costume design course at the Central School of Speech and Drama! CRAZY... I don't agree with the fee, I understand porters needed to be hired..but it is a bit steep! But the Slade offer a great course with great facilities, maybe it proves your a serious applicant? Who knows!

I'd rather it was free, don't get me wrong! But I'm not going to begrudge paying £15, which I knew I would have to pay even before I applied.
Maybe you're correct about being a serious applicant... it certainly proves you're going to get off your bum and show them what you're about.

Original post by Village Whisper
Thank you! I would rep, but I've apparently run out today :frown:

@aprententiousartist: See, I am far from the only one who feels this way; your little personal attack was highly unnecessary.

VW, I believe the strongly negative views you have expressed about the Slade in a bitter tone were highly unnessesary. You don't have to approve of the application system and you can say that, but you did choose to apply there, and you were positive about the institution prior to rejection... I wanted to take you off your high horse. I provided my perspective and now I'm done.

PS. VW, I don't believe I personally attack you at all. I disputed your comments about Slade. On a personal level however, I've had a look at your work. It's very good and I like it. Not that you'd necessarily care for my opinion now... especially seeing as I'm a "complete ****" and "such a ****"!
Original post by Soares
Wow you can find 15 pound on the floor for ****s sake, and can get a job and earn it in 2 hours. Being on the dole pays 70£ a week. And there's student loans giving you a few hundred a semester. Tbh none of us are exactly deprived.

It costs them money to do this, and they'd rather not lose 15k in art funds a year doing it, but would prefer to see physical work, instead of digital images. I don't think the cost of 15£ really matters, you all knew before you applied.

22£ just to apply through UCAS, is much worse, because, that's just to apply to uni through the only system there is.

THIS.

Finally, someone who has some sense and isn't flooded with bitterness.
Reply 948
THIS.

Finally, someone who has some sense and isn't flooded with bitterness.

"You all knew before you applied". No there is no mention of it before application.
Original post by doodlekin
"You all knew before you applied". No there is no mention of it before application.

It's always been on the Slade website under UG admissions, which I would assume all prospective students would have viewed, especially considering it is right underneath where the course code details are...
Reply 950
It's always been on the Slade website under UG admissions, which I would assume all prospective students would have viewed, especially considering it is right underneath where the course code details are...

So, hidden in the small print at best!

You sound like you work there.
Tbh, it's not such a huge price to pay and if you begrudge paying it then your heart probably isn't in the institution
I withdrew from there because i didn't like it and would resent paying that money for no reason. Stop complaining you could've withdrawn.
Reply 952
I feel the same about having to pay for Slade to look at portfolios. If they have 1000 applicants, that's £15,000. just for looking at students' work, over the course of 4 days. Nice work if you can get it whilst still drawing your salary.

I went for an interview elsewhere yesterday and was offered on the spot, as I was at another Uni the week before: these are top art Uni's as far as the league tables go, who obviously like my art. Why make it harder?

What I have realised is that one places definition of fine art differs from another's. I am happy with the 3 offers I have: I still haven't heard from Slade but F them. I also withdrew from another application because I hadn't heard from them since I uploaded my portfolio in December. Why bother with them, if they don't bother with you?

To the person asking about Reading, I have heard others talking about it, and one set of visitors said at the Lancs interview, that they walked away after 10 mins as it was poor facilities wise and setting in Nissan type huts. I think beware of misinterpreting a uni's overall reputation against an individual course.... plus when we phoned up several times there was never anyone in the department.... little things, little clues.

I think the key is to find somewhere you feel comfortable with and can be done with your skill set and qualifications. Princeling, you were never going to make Slade with ACC as they are only interested in applicants who keep their stats up!!! No matter how good an artist you are. They will take the academically qualified over the talented any day.

I discussed all this last night with the 'rents, and they think Slade is Bolloxx, after having to take me there for the open day and to ditch the portfolio ( I hope this salves any hurt feelings of the rejected). I think I only put it down as it was the thing to do, and no longer care - full of Camillas, Sebastions and Chings they say: I best not comment.

I loved Lancs, but I agree that their facilities aren't accommodative for anyone who wants to do printmaking. They do have 24hour studios and you get good studio space. But if your looking for a bit of everything it doesnt have all the fancy print rooms, dark rooms and equipment like places that are more creative centred like UAL and LCA. Their lecturers are good though and they're always in the studios. Which might be why you can get hold of them. If you email they reply in like a day. Their accommodation is definitely the best I've seen, its a much more social uni than UCL and UAL I think, they even have their own nightclubs.

My mother also said the Slade was over rated but I think she was just making me feel better better about my 2 rejections hahah. And I think that places like the Slade have set house styles that their not willing to change. They know exactly what they want in people work even if it does seem like a lottery. So in many ways maybe it was good to be rejected becuase we know that are work doesnt fit in with their, rather than it being rubbish. If it was rubbish we wouldn't be getting offers at other top places right? and Princeling got A*A*AB Didnt she?

Eh?! I think you've mistaken me with someone else; I got A*A*AB for my final grades. :confused: My ancestors would have murdered me if I got ACC, lol!!

Haha, thanks Joel; surprised you remembered. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 954
Lol I didn't even apply there and I still knew even last year when I wasn't even applying for fine art.
So, hidden in the small print at best!

You sound like you work there.

I wouldn't say hidden.
I'm sure that if you go on there you'd be able to see it's quite clearly presented. If you didn't bother reading the heading 'Portfolio Handling Fee' which is bolded, you probably should have bothered applying!

I sound like I work at UCL?
That's a compliment if I ever did hear one.

Original post by kaylafrances
Tbh, it's not such a huge price to pay and if you begrudge paying it then your heart probably isn't in the institution
I withdrew from there because i didn't like it and would resent paying that money for no reason. Stop complaining you could've withdrawn.

Nice to see another perspective which is realistic!
Where are you planning on going in September, Kayla?
Reply 956
Sorry Joelchan: maybe we are getting our wires crossed. My comments about facilities was something I overheard at Lancs about READING, which I did not apply to. I got a place at Lancs though , as I believe you have too.

It may not be my first choice however.

I am in a waiting time now until I get my March A level results before making a final decision.

I thought Princeling said ACC, hence my comment, but if I am wrong, I take it back. Anyway, maybe we will see each other at Lancs, but I need to check out what is going on with the curriculum there as per much earlier on this thread, and what they said on the day about having to do other course options.
Reply 957
Anyone get the feeling there are some staffing stalkers here?
interview am wimbledon tomorrow morning, oh my god i am still working.. so paranoid my work is rubbish. i feel awful. :frown:
Original post by joverbena
interview am wimbledon tomorrow morning, oh my god i am still working.. so paranoid my work is rubbish. i feel awful. :frown:

D'aww, cheer up! Keep a positive attitude and just know your artists and basic interview questions; you'll be savvy. :smile: Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest