The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Village Whisper
Ooh, well done! :smile: Is it soon?

Also, is this one of your top choices? I'm sure you've said before somewhere, but there are now 50 pages to look through...!

Not until the end of March. I think it's my 4th choice, the open day kind of put me off and they take students straight from A level which I'm not that keen on (I'll be 21 when I start, so being around loads of 18 year olds is a bit off putting :tongue:) But hey, I'm still pretty psyched to get an interview - I was convinced I wouldn't!
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Not until the end of March. I think it's my 4th choice, the open day kind of put me off and they take students straight from A level which I'm not that keen on (I'll be 21 when I start, so being around loads of 18 year olds is a bit off putting :tongue:) But hey, I'm still pretty psyched to get an interview - I was convinced I wouldn't!

Oh, you've still got a while then. Was is something in particular about the open day?

I know what you mean, I wouldn't really want to be with them either. No doubt there'll be some wherever I end up, but at the moment I'll only be one year older. If I don't go 'til next year, though, I'll be in the same classes/whatever as people my sister's age, which seems really weird :s-smilie:

What's your first choice, then?
Oh, you've still got a while then. Was is something in particular about the open day?

I know what you mean, I wouldn't really want to be with them either. No doubt there'll be some wherever I end up, but at the moment I'll only be one year older. If I don't go 'til next year, though, I'll be in the same classes/whatever as people my sister's age, which seems really weird :s-smilie:

What's your first choice, then?

The guy who was talking about the course (I think he runs it too) was just SO BORING. He just had no enthusiasm whatsoever. That and he kept comparing Leeds to Slade and Edinburgh, which was just like....no. It's kind of close to home too, 40 minutes away, and I really want to move somewhere completely new.
Yeah I think you change a lot between 18 and 20. I've got friends who are 2 years older than their classmates and they're not that keen :/
Goldsmiths is my first choice for sure (if I'm lucky enough to get in), I was torn between Wimbledon and there for a while but I'm positive now.
Where are you hoping for?
Oh my god :| Have you seen that Art in Theory 1900-2000 book? It's like 4 million pages or something ridiculous! I was hoping I would have covered some already :redface:

Dont worry iv covered nothing apart from Alice... Just try and concentrate on what you have read if they ask, im sure they arent expecting us to digest it all preinterview! I study an art history course but the readins quite simple and im dipping into 'Story of Art' by gombrich. Just say what you know or be VERY good at lying! (im not!)

My Wimbledon interview seemed ok... I was first one though not sure if thats good or not. I only got 2 hours sleep last night so im pleased i chatted my way through despite feeling like poo. I see what people mean about rushed though. I was interviewed by painting leader he looked v serious and solemn throughout so didnt let a thing on. He did say 'thats a good answer' couple of times. So only hope for the best . The last interview date he said is March 15th so will hear by then tho they will be inputting Ucas info before. Really, really like wimbledon so hoping hard.... Il b a bit gutted if im rejected. The day i accept an offer on Ucas im going to have massive relief celebration, sure im not the only one!!
Original post by joverbena
Dont worry iv covered nothing apart from Alice... Just try and concentrate on what you have read if they ask, im sure they arent expecting us to digest it all preinterview! I study an art history course but the readins quite simple and im dipping into 'Story of Art' by gombrich. Just say what you know or be VERY good at lying! (im not!)

My Wimbledon interview seemed ok... I was first one though not sure if thats good or not. I only got 2 hours sleep last night so im pleased i chatted my way through despite feeling like poo. I see what people mean about rushed though. I was interviewed by painting leader he looked v serious and solemn throughout so didnt let a thing on. He did say 'thats a good answer' couple of times. So only hope for the best . The last interview date he said is March 15th so will hear by then tho they will be inputting Ucas info before. Really, really like wimbledon so hoping hard.... Il b a bit gutted if im rejected. The day i accept an offer on Ucas im going to have massive relief celebration, sure im not the only one!!

Oh well done! Makes me feel slightly better about mine if you felt rushed too, though I'm fairly sure I'll be rejected. Did you have some random blonde guy in yours too?
I'm just rereading my old philosophy course and Ways of Seeing at the minute, hoping that will pull me through!
Reply 1005
Heyy guys!
Unfortunately I got a rejection from the Slade yesterday... sad times :frown:
Was heartbreaking - especially the little quotation they slipped in there! Harsh!
It's a bit of a relief to hear that I'm not the only one, I guess.
Still waiting on Reading and Edinburgh - I see some of you have offers for Reading! Well done! :smile:
So nervous about Edinburgh - has anyone heard back from them?

Congrats to everyone that got a Slade interview! Good luck!

It's a shame how everyone is suddenly arguing! I guess were all a bit stressed out lately - these unis really do like playing hard to get! Hahah :smile:
The guy who was talking about the course (I think he runs it too) was just SO BORING. He just had no enthusiasm whatsoever. That and he kept comparing Leeds to Slade and Edinburgh, which was just like....no. It's kind of close to home too, 40 minutes away, and I really want to move somewhere completely new.
Yeah I think you change a lot between 18 and 20. I've got friends who are 2 years older than their classmates and they're not that keen :/
Goldsmiths is my first choice for sure (if I'm lucky enough to get in), I was torn between Wimbledon and there for a while but I'm positive now.
Where are you hoping for?

Ooh, I see. I thought you were going to say you didn't like the facilities/studios or something, but I think a boring course leader is far worse! You want enthusiastic people teaching you, especially at uni. I know what you mean about distance too, a load of people applied to Anglia Ruskin and Norwich on my course but that's way too close for me.

You definitely do change, I think. I mean, I haven't got to 20 yet but I feel a lot different from when I was an A-Level student.

It's good that you're so sure! Good luck with Goldsmiths :smile: I've wanted to go to Brighton for a few years now, so I feel like that's probably my top choice. However, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in, and I'm not completely convinced that the Painting course isn't too restrictive. I thought it seemed pretty flexible, but my tutor seems to think that they're pure painting (i.e. with just paint, no drawing/pen etc.) I kind of do both, and then I also paint onto different types of paper, which brings in collage as well...Oh well, I'm just waiting for the results of the online portfolio because I'm sure they know whether I'd suit their course better than I do. My only other option really is NTU. I really wish I hadn't added Loughborough last minute, because I could've added in another choice and for some reason I just really don't want to go there.

Oops, sorry for accidentally turning that into a bit of a mini essay!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm not an expert on this, but I think they mean what they say and the usual advice is to take some large photos. No point in antagonising them by ignoring their guidelines. I'm sure they're pretty used to assessing large objects on photos - anyone applying for sculpture has to do it that way anyway. Yes, I know it'd be nice to have an interview, but it does put everyone on a level playing field and prevents people from spoiling their chances by being too nervous to do themselves justice. They know what they're looking for - the place has been going for more than 250 years!

thank you, i was only wondering if they are very strict on having everything inside the portfolio.. i think i will at least try and fit one canvas rolled up inside my portfolio, i think it says they don't have specific guidelines anyway. It is good that you get to think of answers to these questions and are not put on the spot!
Original post by S'mores
Heyy guys!
Unfortunately I got a rejection from the Slade yesterday... sad times :frown:
Was heartbreaking - especially the little quotation they slipped in there! Harsh!
It's a bit of a relief to hear that I'm not the only one, I guess.
Still waiting on Reading and Edinburgh - I see some of you have offers for Reading! Well done! :smile:
So nervous about Edinburgh - has anyone heard back from them?

Congrats to everyone that got a Slade interview! Good luck!

It's a shame how everyone is suddenly arguing! I guess were all a bit stressed out lately - these unis really do like playing hard to get! Hahah :smile:

Hey! I got an interview from edinburgh on wednesday night, at the same time as i got my rejection from slade.. so it made me feel a bit better haha, also everyone on my foundation got rejected from slade! craazy, what course are you applying for at edinburgh? they might be doing it at different times..
Oh well done! Makes me feel slightly better about mine if you felt rushed too, though I'm fairly sure I'll be rejected. Did you have some random blonde guy in yours too?
I'm just rereading my old philosophy course and Ways of Seeing at the minute, hoping that will pull me through!

Yes.. seems it makes not much difference being at the start of the day or the end, they clearly have loads to get through and look a little bit bored and begrudging, I expected it to be a little more smiley friendly, i heard wimbledon were.... so goodness knows if i get an invite to stern goldsmiths. But I don't think i will (still nothing!) SO TIRED now i have panda ring eyes!

and ways of seeing is an excellent art read worth watchin the documentaries on youtube too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnfB-pUm3eI

PS no random blonde guy.. a posh brown haired glasses fellow, felt a bit intimidated at first but he seemed nice, smiled a bit unlike the not-giving-any-emotion-away main man which helped!
(edited 12 years ago)
Ooh, I see. I thought you were going to say you didn't like the facilities/studios or something, but I think a boring course leader is far worse! You want enthusiastic people teaching you, especially at uni. I know what you mean about distance too, a load of people applied to Anglia Ruskin and Norwich on my course but that's way too close for me.

You definitely do change, I think. I mean, I haven't got to 20 yet but I feel a lot different from when I was an A-Level student.

It's good that you're so sure! Good luck with Goldsmiths :smile: I've wanted to go to Brighton for a few years now, so I feel like that's probably my top choice. However, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting in, and I'm not completely convinced that the Painting course isn't too restrictive. I thought it seemed pretty flexible, but my tutor seems to think that they're pure painting (i.e. with just paint, no drawing/pen etc.) I kind of do both, and then I also paint onto different types of paper, which brings in collage as well...Oh well, I'm just waiting for the results of the online portfolio because I'm sure they know whether I'd suit their course better than I do. My only other option really is NTU. I really wish I hadn't added Loughborough last minute, because I could've added in another choice and for some reason I just really don't want to go there.

Oops, sorry for accidentally turning that into a bit of a mini essay!

Haha it's fine! You never know with Brighton, I know someone who got on to the painting course and he was always making installations and sculptures too - his portfolio definitely wasn't fully painting. NTU is really nice actually, I probably would have gone if I wasn't such a theory nerd, and Nottingham's a pretty good city for students (ie very cheap :biggrin:)
Original post by joverbena
Yes.. seems it makes not much difference being at the start of the day or the end, they clearly have loads to get through and look a little bit bored and begrudging, I expected it to be a little more smiley friendly, i heard wimbledon were.... so goodness knows if i get an invite to stern goldsmiths. But I don't think i will (still nothing!) SO TIRED now i have panda ring eyes!

and ways of seeing is an excellent art read worth watchin the documentaries on youtube too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnfB-pUm3eI

PS no random blonde guy.. a posh brown haired glasses fellow, felt a bit intimidated at first but he seemed nice, smiled a bit unlike the not-giving-any-emotion-away main man which helped!

I expected them to be more friendly too, they were all lovely on the open days. Did they ask you about yourself or just purely your work? Maybe they just invite strange men to interviews! I think we had the same sort of set up though, good cop bad cop kind of?
And thanks for the link! I've been meaning to watch the series for ages.
Haha it's fine! You never know with Brighton, I know someone who got on to the painting course and he was always making installations and sculptures too - his portfolio definitely wasn't fully painting. NTU is really nice actually, I probably would have gone if I wasn't such a theory nerd, and Nottingham's a pretty good city for students (ie very cheap :biggrin:)

Oh, that's reassuring, thanks! I personally thought it was more like that, but then I assumed my tutor would know more about it. It's good to know that maybe she's wrong! I'm hoping that I'll really like NTU when I go for my interview on Tuesday, so I might not feel so bad if I don't get into Brighton. Then hopefully I'll get an offer and I'll go there. I wanted to go there for a couple of years when I was in year 9/10, but I wanted to do fashion design then instead. Sooo, fingers crossed for Tuesday! :smile:

EDIT: Hey by the way, do you have any idea roughly how many hours/days of theory-related stuff they do a week at NTU? Their website isn't very helpful when it comes to modules etc., and I can't remember if they said at the open day.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh, that's reassuring, thanks! I personally thought it was more like that, but then I assumed my tutor would know more about it. It's good to know that maybe she's wrong! I'm hoping that I'll really like NTU when I go for my interview on Tuesday, so I might not feel so bad if I don't get into Brighton. Then hopefully I'll get an offer and I'll go there. I wanted to go there for a couple of years when I was in year 9/10, but I wanted to do fashion design then instead. Sooo, fingers crossed for Tuesday! :smile:

EDIT: Hey by the way, do you have any idea roughly how many hours/days of theory-related stuff they do a week at NTU? Their website isn't very helpful when it comes to modules etc., and I can't remember if they said at the open day.

From what I remember they do one day a week where you talk about theory and critique with your classmates, they don't do formal lectures in it. They have guest speakers and tutorials but I can't remember how often - wasn't every week though.

Ooo, is your interview on the 28th? That's when mine is..
Reply 1015
Original post by TFsean
Hi guys,
I got an email from ECA and I passed part 1 of the process and now have an Applicant Day. I havent been able to find an answer to this question but it looks like we dont actually get an interview? They look at our folio without us and then we leave. Is this the final part of the process or do people then move on to an interview?
Thanks

BA painting?
how did you hear from them? I never received their initial email about the online portfolio and only found out that they wanted me to submit one when they sent another email saying they were still waiting for my portfolio to be submitted (two weeks before the deadline). So i'm really anxious that I won't receive their email again!
My friend got a Goldsmiths interview today for BAFA, scheduled on the 26th of March (I think). :biggrin: So the rest are coming through, although I think most of us here (if not all) have already heard from Goldsmiths?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Princeling
My friend got a Goldsmiths interview today for BAFA, scheduled on the 26th of March (I think). :biggrin: So the rest are coming through, although I think most of us here (if not all) have already heard from Goldsmiths?

I'm still waiting guess it'll be another weekend seeing as i doubt there will be news tomorrow on a saturday...

And Wimbledon mostly asked about my work though said he enjoyed reading my statement when i come in so i guess he already got enough info about me from that... oooooh the pain of not knowing :frown:
From what I remember they do one day a week where you talk about theory and critique with your classmates, they don't do formal lectures in it. They have guest speakers and tutorials but I can't remember how often - wasn't every week though.

Oh, really? It's sounding a lot more like somewhere I'd like to go, now. I like that the dissertation is written in stages as well, or at least I think that's what someone said at the open day. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance the first time I went. Thank you, though, you've helped a lot and now hopefully I'll have a couple more things to say when they ask me why I want to do their course :smile:
Reply 1019
Original post by sarinda.devine
thank you, i was only wondering if they are very strict on having everything inside the portfolio.. i think i will at least try and fit one canvas rolled up inside my portfolio, i think it says they don't have specific guidelines anyway. It is good that you get to think of answers to these questions and are not put on the spot!

Hey, I've applied to another course (Graphic Design) Whereas you've applied to painting. But in the guidelines which they had sent for us about the Edinburgh portfolio, im sure there is a mention for things not to be rolled up, Im not exactly sure, but thought it was worth a mention.

Goodluck

Quick Reply

Latest