The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4840
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Anyone going to the Bath day next Wed? (aka 29th)

Results day is worrying me, hated D2 and M2.

Yerrrrrr...I am :smile:...I have to get a train at 7 though because I live up North :colonhash:
Original post by SParm
Yerrrrrr...I am :smile:...I have to get a train at 7 though because I live up North :colonhash:

Ah yeah, I feel your pain - I have to get a really early train for my Exeter open day because it involves a few changes. Who are you thinking of firming?

I'm going to Bath next Wednesday, I guess you are going too?

Original post by SParm

I have to get up at 5 (or even before that) to catch my flight (to London). Then I have to get the train from London to Bath. I live in the North of Scotland :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4843
Ah yeah, I feel your pain - I have to get a really early train for my Exeter open day because it involves a few changes. Who are you thinking of firming?

Open days suck yo D=...why can't the Universities come to us?!?! Or...uh...something like that. I'm definitely firming Cambridge and it's between Durham/Warwick/Bath for my insurance (most probably Durham IF they give me an offer xD) :P...I really screwed myself by not picking any Universities that would give me slightly easier offers -_-

Original post by laughylolly
I have to get up at 5 (or even before that) to catch my flight (to London). Then I have to get the train from London to Bath. I live in the North of Scotland :frown:

Yeah...but you get to go on a plane!!!! It'll be like "WEEEEEEE I'm flying". In all seriousness though; I feel sorry for you...sounds extremely rough :P
Original post by SParm
Open days suck yo D=...why can't the Universities come to us?!?! Or...uh...something like that. I'm definitely firming Cambridge and it's between Durham/Warwick/Bath for my insurance (most probably Durham IF they give me an offer xD) :P...I really screwed myself by not picking any Universities that would give me slightly easier offers -_-

Yeah...but you get to go on a plane!!!! It'll be like "WEEEEEEE I'm flying". In all seriousness though; I feel sorry for you...sounds extremely rough :P

Hahaha, yeah true. I don't get home till about 10pm too. Ah well. I just hope I don't get lost trying to navigate Heathrow and Paddington but I've been a few times before so hopefully I'll be okay! :s-smilie:
I'm going to Bath next Wednesday, I guess you are going too?

Yep, I'll probably wander around Bath for a bit if I can remember how it's laid out from like 4 years ago. Should be good - have you visited before?

Original post by SParm

I'm the opposite, I wish I'd picked one of the harder universities, just to see whether I would have got in. I played it a bit safe.

Planes <3 Never been on a commercial aircraft, and never gone from one place to another on a plane, although I have controlled one and done loops, barrel rolls, stall turns, cuban 8s....
Hahaha, yeah true. I don't get home till about 10pm too. Ah well. I just hope I don't get lost trying to navigate Heathrow and Paddington but I've been a few times before so hopefully I'll be okay! :s-smilie:

Heathrow is easier than Paddington :tongue: just follow the signs carefully and you'll be fine :smile:

Has anyone analysed the Durham and Warwick courses? I'm trying to piece together the differences between them... :s-smilie:
Yep, I'll probably wander around Bath for a bit if I can remember how it's laid out from like 4 years ago. Should be good - have you visited before?

I'm the opposite, I wish I'd picked one of the harder universities, just to see whether I would have got in. I played it a bit safe.

Planes <3 Never been on a commercial aircraft, and never gone from one place to another on a plane, although I have controlled one and done loops, barrel rolls, stall turns, cuban 8s....

Yeah, I visited in September for the big open day. Be nice to see it at a different time of year and stuff. I've flown quite a bit cause I used to live abroad so I've been on pretty small commercial aircraft to Jumbo jets. 1 hour flights to 11/12 hour ones.

Original post by Xero Xenith
Heathrow is easier than Paddington :tongue: just follow the signs carefully and you'll be fine :smile:

Has anyone analysed the Durham and Warwick courses? I'm trying to piece together the differences between them... :s-smilie:

Yeah, heathrow I should be fine with because gone through it like a billion times but I haven't done the heathrow express - paddington etc. route much so.

I've looked at the differences in the courses quite a bit I guess. I think at Warwick you have larger freedom to do modules in other subjects in your first two years, that's what it seemed like. Otherwise I can't remember anything that really stuck out.

I've kinda forgotten about Warwick now. I really like the look of the course there and I know it's very good for maths but the fact they gave me international fees and the location and stuff, kinda out weighs the benefits for me. I want to live somewhere where I'll be happy and somewhere I will enjoy living, especially if I do the MMath cause that's four years of your life.
I wanted somewhere a bit quieter/not in a big city (that's why I applied to the places I did and not any London uni's or Edinburgh/Glasgow etc.) and Warwick is out of the way but I think a bit too out of the way for me.
Yeah, heathrow I should be fine with because gone through it like a billion times but I haven't done the heathrow express - paddington etc. route much so.

I've looked at the differences in the courses quite a bit I guess. I think at Warwick you have larger freedom to do modules in other subjects in your first two years, that's what it seemed like. Otherwise I can't remember anything that really stuck out.

I think in Durham you're allowed to do other courses' modules in the first year? Not sure about other years though, and it certainly seems there's no equivalent to over-CATing.

I've kinda forgotten about Warwick now. I really like the look of the course there and I know it's very good for maths but the fact they gave me international fees and the location and stuff, kinda out weighs the benefits for me. I want to live somewhere where I'll be happy and somewhere I will enjoy living, especially if I do the MMath cause that's four years of your life.
I wanted somewhere a bit quieter/not in a big city (that's why I applied to the places I did and not any London uni's or Edinburgh/Glasgow etc.) and Warwick is out of the way but I think a bit too out of the way for me.

International fees?! But you're in the UK! That's ridiculous!

I've heard two conflicting sides about Warwick - one is that it's soulless and dead, the other is that it's vibrant even in the campus and that Coventry is good to go to for anything bigger. No idea. Confused as always :colondollar:
over-CATing.

This bit I like the most. :colone: Taking lots and lots of modules, best thing is it increases your chances of a better grade overall too! Maybe you should go for Durham though? Your offer is 1,2 right? Unless you're sitting all 3 STEP papers, you're a boss so I wouldn't put it past you! :p:
I think in Durham you're allowed to do other courses' modules in the first year? Not sure about other years though, and it certainly seems there's no equivalent to over-CATing.

International fees?! But you're in the UK! That's ridiculous!

I've heard two conflicting sides about Warwick - one is that it's soulless and dead, the other is that it's vibrant even in the campus and that Coventry is good to go to for anything bigger. No idea. Confused as always :colondollar:

Yeah, just first year as far as I remember if you are doing straight maths.

Yeah... well I only moved back to the Uk just under 2 years ago (I am British though, born here, parents are from here etc.) and your supposed to be back in the Uk for at least 3 years to be considered as 'home' but it will be 2 and a half by the time I start and I think it's a little bit silly but oh well, at least everywhere else gave me home fees.

I know someone that is doing Maths at Warwick and from all the photos on facebook it looks like she's enjoying herself but I wouldn't want to take that risk if I'm not 100% sure about a place. My maths teacher went to Warwick and she's been persuading me to go there but no, I don't think it's for me.
Yeah, just first year as far as I remember if you are doing straight maths.

Yeah... well I only moved back to the Uk just under 2 years ago (I am British though, born here, parents are from here etc.) and your supposed to be back in the Uk for at least 3 years to be considered as 'home' but it will be 2 and a half by the time I start and I think it's a little bit silly but oh well, at least everywhere else gave me home fees.

I know someone that is doing Maths at Warwick and from all the photos on facebook it looks like she's enjoying herself but I wouldn't want to take that risk if I'm not 100% sure about a place. My maths teacher went to Warwick and she's been persuading me to go there but no, I don't think it's for me.

You could E-Mail then and they'll fix it? I have a friend who was born here, lived here till year 8 then went abroad for 4 years and came back last year, everyone expected him to pay international fees but he called them up and explained and they changed his status. :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
You could E-Mail then and they'll fix it? I have a friend who was born here, lived here till year 8 then went abroad for 4 years and came back last year, everyone expected him to pay international fees but he called them up and explained and they changed his status. :smile:

Yeah, there was a form I could have filled out and I did fill it out but since receiving offers from Bath and Durham I haven't really bothered to complete it and send it off.

Also, I moved abroad when I was 5 and was abroad for 11 years and the website suggested that they probably wouldn't see that as a temporary absence from the Uk/EU.

i'm going! :smile:
Yeah, there was a form I could have filled out and I did fill it out but since receiving offers from Bath and Durham I haven't really bothered to complete it and send it off.

Also, I moved abroad when I was 5 and was abroad for 11 years and the website suggested that they probably wouldn't see that as a temporary absence from the Uk/EU.

Ah right, I suppose you're insuring St Andrews and then firming Durham/Warwick? I had though St Andrews is better than Bath.
Ah right, I suppose you're insuring St Andrews and then firming Durham/Warwick? I had though St Andrews is better than Bath.

I think I'll be firming Durham and insurance will either be Bath or St Andrews. St Andrews I won't have to pay any fees (I'm Scottish) but accommodation is more expensive. However I have an unconditional there so... bath seemed to have better graduate job prospects than St. Andrews. And well they seem to have a better set up if you want to do a year abroad or if you want to do a year in industry. Also sport is amazing there, even though I'm not really competitive anymore - I am pretty sporty. Yet I love playing golf (have played since I was 5) and St Andrews is the home of golf and it be amazing to play on those courses. Too hard to decide!
I think I'll be firming Durham and insurance will either be Bath or St Andrews. St Andrews I won't have to pay any fees (I'm Scottish) but accommodation is more expensive. However I have an unconditional there so... bath seemed to have better graduate job prospects than St. Andrews. And well they seem to have a better set up if you want to do a year abroad or if you want to do a year in industry. Also sport is amazing there, even though I'm not really competitive anymore - I am pretty sporty. Yet I love playing golf (have played since I was 5) and St Andrews is the home of golf and it be amazing to play on those courses. Too hard to decide!

Apparently if you actually attend St Andrews you get a MASSIVE discount, it's only like £500 to play there. One of the reasons I wanted to get in. :frown: But it was really far for me too so... xD
Apparently if you actually attend St Andrews you get a MASSIVE discount, it's only like £500 to play there. One of the reasons I wanted to get in. :frown: But it was really far for me too so... xD

Yeah, cause you are considered a resident of St. Andrews. It's not too far from me. Only about and hour and a half away I think.

Other thing is that I applied for the BSc at St. Andrews and I know at Bath/Durham etc. switching between the BSc and MMath is pretty flexible but I don't know if that is the case at St. Andrews if I decide that I want to go down that route.

P.s. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in. You still got accepted by 4 other amazing uni's though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4858

I think I get home at a similar time...quite looking forward to the day itself...but the travelling is going to be disgustingly drawn out :colonhash:
I feel for you travelling through London...I despise that place with a passion rarely rivalled through the dredges of time :P

Wait wait wait...you've -controlled- a plane before despite never having been on a commercial one? Yeah; casual. Standard stuff really. Everyone goes flying now and again...

Why do people in general do so much more than I do :dontknow:?
Original post by SParm
Wait wait wait...you've -controlled- a plane before despite never having been on a commercial one? Yeah; casual. Standard stuff really. Everyone goes flying now and again...

Why do people in general do so much more than I do :dontknow:?

Yeah, air cadets. I go shooting occasionally too, it's fun :biggrin:

Don't worry, people have done loads of stuff I haven't done before :tongue:

Latest