The Student Room Group

I'm still waiting to get onto a PGCE

Scroll to see replies

I got feedback from IOE last year, took a couple of weeks. I was quite vague, I got a generic one then a slightly more personal one. I thought it was a load of old rubbish! I didn't think to do it for undergrad (rejected from Cambridge and LSE!) but TBH I knew that my GCSEs didn't cut it. And I didn't really want to go to either!
Reply 21
I had a hellish time getting onto a PGCE course last year, so this all sounds remarkably familiar. Different departments have different response times for different reasons - often, presumably, to do with how busy they are.

I was rejected from Sussex and Cumbria; both took ages to make their decision and sent out generic rejection responses. I had to hound tutors from both to get usable feedback - Cumbria emailed back whereas the tutor at Sussex rang me up personally. I was then interviewed at Worcester, where I was again unsuccessful, but the tutor rang first think in the morning for about 20 minutes with both feedback and fantastic advice going forward - as well as unofficially offering a place for the following year. Oxford called the day after the interview to say that I had been successful.

Two things:

a) Hassle, hassle, and hassle again - via email and telephone until you get a response
b) Keep the faith! Even for non-shortage subjects like mine, places reopen in Extra and in Clearing.
This is familiar ground for me now. :mad:

A bit of background:

I've taught abroad, done 2 teaching placements and I am predicted a first in BSc Mathematics.

I have applied for:

TeachFirst - Got rejected straight away, no interview. Rude.
Reading - Thought I got in but got given rejection 2 weeks later in November. No feedback given other than 'wasn't prepared'.
Leicester - Got interview in January. Rejection. Need to write (no email :angry:) to get feedback which I'll do today.
Nottingham Trent - Went on Wednesday and got my rejection yesterday. I called and they said they'll send something in the post in the next few days. From what I've heard from Trent, I'm not too optimistic about that estimate.

Now I'm just looking to do a year of teaching experience and hopefully get a bit of money but I've heard that it isn't going to boost my chances of getting in that much. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone considering SCITT instead?
Are you applying for primary or secondary? Keep going, even if you have to reapply like I did. It shows determination!
Original post by Dagnabbit

A bit of background:

I've taught abroad, done 2 teaching placements and I am predicted a first in BSc Mathematics.

I have applied for:

Reading - Thought I got in but got given rejection 2 weeks later in November. No feedback given other than 'wasn't prepared'.
Leicester - Got interview in January. Rejection. Need to write (no email :angry:) to get feedback which I'll do today.
Nottingham Trent - Went on Wednesday and got my rejection yesterday. I called and they said they'll send something in the post in the next few days. From what I've heard from Trent, I'm not too optimistic about that estimate.

Now I'm just looking to do a year of teaching experience and hopefully get a bit of money but I've heard that it isn't going to boost my chances of getting in that much. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone considering SCITT instead?

I'm looking at doing a SCITT and think it is a good route, a PGCE is like a degree where you learn theory however the SCITT route makes you work in schools giving you that experience of working with children, it costs around 8 grand however as youre predicted a first i'm sure you'll get the same amount awarded to you if you got a first.

A bit of background:

I have applied for:

Just looked at some of your previous posts- maths! Can't believe you had so many rejections they always want maths teachers?!? Are you confident going into interview, eg not too quiet? Can't think why you would have so much trouble!
Original post by StarBabyCat
Are you applying for primary or secondary? Keep going, even if you have to reapply like I did. It shows determination!

I'm applying for secondary maths. I'm really surprised that they're rejecting so many people but with so many applicants and so few places it's inevitable! What's worse is that they're offering £20k for anyone who has a First which is bringing in a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be interested.

As I say, I have no clue why I'm getting rejected. For Trent, I was 15 minutes late because I didn't have correct change for the bus! When I got back to the bus stop with my change I realised that I'd miss the bus that would've got me there on time by a matter of seconds! Fate was against me.

But yeah, golden rule never never be late!
Original post by legendstar
I'm looking at doing a SCITT and think it is a good route, a PGCE is like a degree where you learn theory however the SCITT route makes you work in schools giving you that experience of working with children, it costs around 8 grand however as youre predicted a first i'm sure you'll get the same amount awarded to you if you got a first.

Which provider of SCITT are you planning on using? Do you still have to apply through GTTR? Is it generally easier to get into?
Which provider of SCITT are you planning on using? Do you still have to apply through GTTR? Is it generally easier to get into?

The Leicester and Leicester-shire SCITT provider, yep, have to apply through GTTR.
I don't know if its easier to get into but i'm sure with the experience and qualifications you have its worth a shot... Have a look on the GTTR website to see if they have vacancies near you and ring them to ask if they think its a be viable route for you to take.
The Leicester and Leicester-shire SCITT provider, yep, have to apply through GTTR.
I don't know if its easier to get into but i'm sure with the experience and qualifications you have its worth a shot... Have a look on the GTTR website to see if they have vacancies near you and ring them to ask if they think its a be viable route for you to take.

Cool, thank you for quick response! One more thing, do you have to have an interview day and how long do they take to respond to your application?
Cool, thank you for quick response! One more thing, do you have to have an interview day and how long do they take to respond to your application?

No problem and likewise, to be honest.
From what i know there are two interview stages, and they said they have a quick turnaround of telling you if they would be inviting you for an initial interview, however, i'm looking to go into primary teaching and not sure if they do secondary like you'd want so just check that they do do that.
No problem and likewise, to be honest.
From what i know there are two interview stages, and they said they have a quick turnaround of telling you if they would be inviting you for an initial interview, however, i'm looking to go into primary teaching and not sure if they do secondary like you'd want so just check that they do do that.

Thanks again!

I'm actually gonna put this on the back burner for the next 2 months because of my exams (worth more than 60% of my degree) in late April/early May and then get right on to either getting clearing entry into SCITT or a job as a teaching assistant in a local school. The latter will probably be a more attractive option as it gives me more of a choice for the year after.

Hope all is going a bit smoother on your end!
Thanks again!

I'm actually gonna put this on the back burner for the next 2 months because of my exams (worth more than 60% of my degree) in late April/early May and then get right on to either getting clearing entry into SCITT or a job as a teaching assistant in a local school. The latter will probably be a more attractive option as it gives me more of a choice for the year after.

Hope all is going a bit smoother on your end!

Hmm yeah it is a bit of a headache of chasing up universities. I actually had to withdraw my application from Wolves and then applied to the Leicester SCITT. And that was this morning! Lol. So now hopefully they get back to me ASAP and let me know what they plan on doing with me so I can relax and concentrate on uni.
Try not to leave it too late because once a course is full they won't be opening it up again. Even for clearing, but some Uni's seem to have places all the time so that all the dilemmas.
Wish it was smoother and an easy process but looks like it's gonna take hard work.
And I hope yours goes well too. Definitely could do without this headache!
Reply 33

A bit of background:

I have applied for:

I have considered applying for a SCITT course at Bromley. They do seem really great! went to open day and met some headteachers!
Reply 34
Hi,
I noticed that Edge Hill PGCE was mentioned a few times in this thread and a few people were wondering why they had been rejected and what the university look for. I have had a fair bit of experience with Edge Hill PGCE so thought I'd share my story which may help you!
I applied for Edge Hill 2010 Primary PGCE in November. I had been working for just over a year voluntarily in a primary school as a TA. I was given a late interview (April). I did reasonably well on the day and felt quietly confident. However, I got a rejection 2 weeks later. They gave me some feedback which basically said I was lacking in some knowledge with regards to lesson planning and my subject knowledge was poor (the test was very very hard!).
I licked my wounds and applied again for 2011 Primary PGCE. By then I had just joined a supply agency being a TA (I recommend you do this if you have siginificant experience in a primary school) although I hadn't actually done any work when I applied so my experience was more or less the same as the year before. This time I go NO interview, just a straight rejection saying I had not worked on my flaws and needed more experience.
I applied AGAIN for 2012 Primary PGCE. This time I had worked for a year as a SEN one-to-one TA as well as working for a few months in a Special Needs School. When I applied in October I had begun a permanant TA job at a primary school in the September so that was a big advantage. I found this interview much easier because I knew all the answers without having to revise and remember (due to my added experience obviously). I received an unconditional offer from Edge Hill last month and start in September!
My advice is EXPERIENCE. This is the most important word! I showed them that it was what I really really wanted to do. In fact, I had a very friendly one-to-one interviewer on my interview day and when she asked me why I wanted to be a teacher I simply said, "Well, it's all I want to do...and this is my third try and I will just keep applying until I get on..." And that seemed to work!
Reply 35
well done on getting onto Edge Hill PGCE although I have a different opinion of what they look for! I have a first class honours degree as well as many years experience in both mainstream and special school settings from foundation to year 6.I am presently cover supervising, teaching whole classes across the key stages,have organised and run parents evenings, run maths,art and dance clubs after school and am fully involved in all long/medium and short term planning and assessments implementing APP and AFL into the classroom daily. I plan all the intervention groups based on my own assessments throughout the half term and I absolutely love what I do. I am so passionate about making a difference and building a child's confidence! Did I succeed at my PGCE interview at EH? No. My tests were fine - 2 As,2 Bs and the writing test was described as excellent. My lesson plan included structure, differentiation, AFL, cross curricular creative links and a practical pace and the one to one part seemed to go really well. My feedback was very vague nothing specific to work on so useless. I have several friends who were successful who got lower test marks and have had very limited classroom experience so it makes no sense to me. I think it's just pot luck! I'm fortunate that I have other ongoing options so am not worried by it but thought it's good to share experiences!
Reply 36
Original post by wozza1991
The lack of feedback from universities is really bad! I can sort of understand how overworked they are with the sheer number of applications but that doesn't help you guys!
Just harass them as much as you can! Back in my undergrad days when I didn't get into KCL I was quite upset and they didn't want to provide feedback and said they had no obligation to do so blah blah blah... But I think they're meant to and I kept on at this poor guy's secretary and eventually to get rid of my I had an informative, if not constructive, discussion with the head of admissions. Same for UCL as it happens...

I just hassled Roehampton and they actually gave me some better feedback! So thanks for the advice harassing works :smile:
Reply 37
Hi!

I'm in the 'still waiting' club too.

I applied for TeachFirst and had an interview back in November, but didn't get in.

Then in December I put in some GTP applications (Nottingham, Notts Trent, Sheffield Hallam), but it's so oversubscribed. Nottingham sent out an email saying they couldn't guarantee being able to consider my application at all, as they'd already had so many applicants. Nottingham Trent haven't rejected me, but have me on a reserve list (unlikely to get an interview unless everyone else they interviews is rubbish or drops out!). Sheffield Hallam have only just started processing applications because they've been waiting for the TDA to tell them how many places they're allowed.

In January (having realised there are now bursaries for PGCEs again so I can afford to do it) I applied for PGCE Secondary English at Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam. I had my interview at Nottingham on Friday and found out today that I was unsuccessful, so I've requested feedback and am focusing on getting into my second choice. Sheffield doesn't have vacancies anymore - does anyone know how to change your choices if one of them is full?

I've got quite a lot of experience (just started a role as a kind of unqualified supply teacher of MFL - I teach new content but don't plan lessons or mark work - and have also worked as a Food Technology Technician and as a Teaching Assistant), and a strong academic background, but I've applied to teach a different subject from my degree. Also, whilst I manage to stay calm and focused in the classroom, in interviews I tend to panic and waffle on for ages.
Reply 38
Original post by DJ8765
well done on getting onto Edge Hill PGCE although I have a different opinion of what they look for! I have a first class honours degree as well as many years experience in both mainstream and special school settings from foundation to year 6.I am presently cover supervising, teaching whole classes across the key stages,have organised and run parents evenings, run maths,art and dance clubs after school and am fully involved in all long/medium and short term planning and assessments implementing APP and AFL into the classroom daily. I plan all the intervention groups based on my own assessments throughout the half term and I absolutely love what I do. I am so passionate about making a difference and building a child's confidence! Did I succeed at my PGCE interview at EH? No. My tests were fine - 2 As,2 Bs and the writing test was described as excellent. My lesson plan included structure, differentiation, AFL, cross curricular creative links and a practical pace and the one to one part seemed to go really well. My feedback was very vague nothing specific to work on so useless. I have several friends who were successful who got lower test marks and have had very limited classroom experience so it makes no sense to me. I think it's just pot luck! I'm fortunate that I have other ongoing options so am not worried by it but thought it's good to share experiences!

How odd! I can't understand why you have been unsuccessful as you clearly have a lot of experience. And your subject knowledge is very good also! I don't really know what they look for then or what they see in me! All I remember from my day was that I had 'a lot of experience' and clearly knew 'what I was talking about'. I put this down to the variation in experience and the amount that I have. I hope you get onto a PGCE somewhere else. I'm sure you will make a fabulous teacher!
Reply 39
thank you ELH21! PGCE courses are a mystery to me! I'm applying for GTP as my school have agreed to employ me as a trainee teacher. It's even more competitive than PGCE so not expecting an interview even but will give it a go! If I'm lucky it will be great as I'll be paid :smile:)) Oh to be earning again! Good luck for Sept :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending