Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friends say friend likes me.. I don't like him but don't want to not be friends!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

I have this friend in uni who I have been friends with since pretty much the first week. We just watch films together, get takeaways, talk and we work together. He's in my flat quite often just watching television and stuff which is what friends do anyway! But my other friends all think he fancies me.. I really don't think he does though because we are just good friends and always there for each other but my other friends are convinced he does and say the way he acts with me is like he really likes me. I just don't see it, but I don't want people to think there is stuff going on between us either because there really isn't and I could never see him in that light.. It's frustrating me so much because I want to stay friends with him but do not want people to think something is going on, I don't even act like that but they say he does... He does annoy me sometimes by following me around when we're out and sometimes he won't leave my side for a second like he feels the need to look after me or something so maybe that's why people think he likes me? I need people to stop thinking this though!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly, this should be in relationships for future referance
    Secondly, just make it clear that you don't like him in that way. My friend (male) started following my friend (girl) a lot and would sit right next to her etc, she told him she didn't like him like that and to back off a tad. They're still friends etc but he's not as clingy. Maybe he just needs you to make it clear that you don't like him like that. It doesn't even have to be blunt, maybe just talk about another 'guy you like' (doesn't even have to be real) with your friends while he's around. It might be enough to tip him off if he does like you that way x

(Original post by Charlie Chaplin)
    Well, firstly, this should be in relationships for future referance
    Secondly, just make it clear that you don't like him in that way. My friend (male) started following my friend (girl) a lot and would sit right next to her etc, she told him she didn't like him like that and to back off a tad. They're still friends etc but he's not as clingy. Maybe he just needs you to make it clear that you don't like him like that. It doesn't even have to be blunt, maybe just talk about another 'guy you like' (doesn't even have to be real) with your friends while he's around. It might be enough to tip him off if he does like you that way x
    He knows that I've been seeing a guy and that I really like this guy!
    He knows I don't like him at all and only want to be friends, I have tried my best to make this clear for so long but without saying it in a nasty way because I don't want to upset him or lose him as a friend. But I feel like he's always wanting to spend time with me at the moment (I don't mind on nights out, the occasional takeaway) but that's not me giving him the impression at all, so why do my friends think he likes me? And how can I get him to back off with following me around, holding every single door open for me. I even went to the toilet in a club and he virtually walked me to the door and waited for me, and it drives me crazy!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you're at the stage where you just need to tell him in no uncertain terms that you like him and all, and you still want to hang out every now and then, but you really need your space and you need him to back off a bit.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 27, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.