The Student Room Group

Easiest & valued AS Level to study along side 3 A2s?

Basically, I know I'm gonna fail my fourth AS so by the end of the year, I'll have to drop it.

But failing that AS would probably cost me a lot so I'm thinking of taking another really enoyable, easy but also valued AS in my second year?

I want to study Law at uni but I don't really want to go into the legal industry... Law degree sounds more interesting than English (I want to go into the publishing industry - but that's dying so it'll be risky to take a degree based on that career only)

I am not really expecting to get into a top uni like Oxbridge. Something like Queen Mary maybe.

Sooo easiest & valued AS? Anyone?

I know they are all hard but the easiest out of them, or anything that'll get me into a reasonably good uni.

or is a 4th AS worth it?

Nothing involving Maths please!

Edit: The subjects I'll be continuing on to A2 are Eng Lang, Law and Psychology. So I like essay based subjects!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

All subjects are difficult in their own way. I suggest to look through the different subjects specifications and past exam papers (with the mark schemes). That would help you to decide how well you would do in it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Andicate
Basically, I know I'm gonna fail my fourth AS so by the end of the year, I'll have to drop it.

But failing that AS would probably cost me a lot so I'm thinking of taking another really enoyable, easy but also valued AS in my second year?

I want to study Law at uni but I don't really want to go into the legal industry... Law degree sounds more interesting than English (I want to go into the publishing industry - but that's dying so it'll be risky to take a degree based on that career only)

I am not really expecting to get into a top uni like Oxbridge. Something like Queen Mary maybe.

I know they are all hard but the easiest out of them, or anything that'll get me into a reasonably good uni.

or is a 4th AS worth it?

Geography is fairly easy (in my opinion.) yet valued at the same time, though it does depend on what your strengths are.
Reply 3

or is a 4th AS worth it?

What are your other subjects? What's easy for one person is different for another, depends where your strengths lie.
Reply 4
I would say psychology. It's interesting, not too hard if you keep up with the work, and you can apply its use as a subject to every job that you do :smile:
Reply 5

or is a 4th AS worth it?

It depends on where your strengths lie really and of course what you are already studying. I'd recommend Psychology, but if essay writing isn't your thing, this isn't the subject for you. History is also very well respected but also has the essay, but it also involves coursework which takes pressure off during the exam. My friends in Politics always seemed to be having a great time, that would also compliment your law degree well.
Reply 6
I agree with Psychology. If you get the course textbook all you have to learn is in there, and then it's just a matter of putting in the time. It's a little harder at A2 because there are specific ways you have to answer the essay questions, but it's mainly short answer questions in the first year. (This is just for AQA though - I don't know about other exam boards.)

Sociology is also pretty simple at AS. Although it's more essay-based (again, AQA) so it depends what your strengths are.
Reply 7
physics, do physics.
Reply 8
AS Psychology isn't too taxing. It's perfect if you have a good memory.
AS Politics is really easy if you have a very basic knowledge of current affairs. It goes together with Law too :smile:
Reply 10

or is a 4th AS worth it?

Edit: The subjects I'll be continuing on to A2 are Eng Lang, Law and Psychology.

If you prepare, Sociology is relatively easy to get high marks in - providing you can write essays . It's generally a valued subject and is actually quite interesting - the WJEC course is very simplistic (which does get slightly annoying at times). It also, to an extent, compliments Psychology (I do both).
I turned up to about 50% of my Sociology lessons in Year 12 and managed 97%..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Sorry for late reply, my internet went crazy. Thanks everyone - I'm thinking along the lines of Philosophy or G & Politics?

Anyone taken Philosophy? It sounds wonderfully interesting and okaaay at an AS Level?
Reply 12
Economics....AS isnt very hard.
Reply 13
Original post by bluemax
Economics....AS isnt very hard.

Eh... lots of people have suggested that. (so I don't know if that's sarcasm -.-) What's it about? Does it involve Maths? :redface:
Reply 14
Eh... lots of people have suggested that. (so I don't know if that's sarcasm -.-) What's it about? Does it involve Maths? :redface:

Nopes, no sarcasm. AS level economics is easy and it doesnt involve any maths (im referring to the edexcel board here)
Reply 15
Original post by bluemax
Nopes, no sarcasm. AS level economics is easy and it doesnt involve any maths (im referring to the edexcel board here)

Ooooh what does it involve?
Reply 16
To be honest, this kind of question is pointless as it largely depends on your strengths. I find that subjects which are generally considered difficult can be quite easy for me, and vice-versa.

You said "nothing involving Maths", so perhaps you like more essay-based subjects? If that's the case I can definitely help (: History is doable - there are quite a lot of facts but the exam technique is very straight forward and you can do quite well. It will also help with Law. English Literature is also a great option imo, it's a bit of a step up from GCSE but if you enjoy it you'll quickly get the hang of it.
Maths probably ...

Or Bio ... it's not too bad
Chem is feasible also :smile:
Maths probably ...

Or Bio ... it's not too bad
Chem is feasible also :smile:
Sorry for late reply, my internet went crazy. Thanks everyone - I'm thinking along the lines of Philosophy or G & Politics?

Anyone taken Philosophy? It sounds wonderfully interesting and okaaay at an AS Level?

I take both philosophy and politics and love them both. If you want something with minimal work then definitely take philosophy, I think we got maybe five pieces of homework in the whole of year 12 :P

Quick Reply

Latest