Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm scared to tell my mum that I was diagnosed with depression.

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what to say to her or how to begin. Maybe I should keep it to myself huh?

I am so scared to tell her, I feel like I should?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't keep it to yourself - mention how you've been feeling recently to her, just casually, and then say you've been to the doctors, and he's diagnosed you with depression.

:hugs:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just sit down with her and before you tell her make sure you have everything you want to say to her in your mind, if you're going to tell her you might as well tell her everything and probably she may be able to help you. I highly doubt she will be cross or mad about it because of the seriousness of it. So yes, do talk about it to your mother.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be best to tell her, especially if you still live together. However I don't think you should feel pressure to tell her for the sake of telling her.

It's really difficult to say do/don't when we don't know what your relationship is like with your mum.

It does sound like you want to say something though, and I think it would most likely be a good idea. Maybe catch her when she's not busy, if it was me I wouldn't want to make a formal sit down event of it, and say that you've been to the doctor because you haven't been feeling yourself recently, and then say it out straight. It's quite a big thing to tell someone and it's normal to be scared, but keep calm and remember it's just your mum. She's not going to judge you, and she will be glad that she can know and support you as best she can.

Good luck.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't keep it from your mum. You'll just feel more depressed if you try to hide it. Talk about it to your mum - she'll be able to understand you better and will probably help you to deal with it more than you think.

Just tell her you've been diagnosed with it and then explain to her what lead to it.

All the best
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I told my parents by email cos I was too chicken to do it over the phone. :lol: Not too bad a method though I reckon - gives you time to compose things til you're happy with them, and cos you've got the time to think things through you're less likely to leave anything out or be unclear.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I told my parents by email cos I was too chicken to do it over the phone. :lol: Not too bad a method though I reckon - gives you time to compose things til you're happy with them, and cos you've got the time to think things through you're less likely to leave anything out or be unclear.
    out of curiosity, what was their response. and that is a brave way to do it.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arbaaz)
    out of curiosity, what was their response. and that is a brave way to do it.
    Luckily for me they were very supportive, and said they'd help me out in any way they could (although since we lived in different cities there were obviously limits to what they could realistically do). It did take me quite a while to sum up the courage to tell my family (same goes for a lot of people I think), but I'd say that for most people it works out best in the end - it can be quite a weight off your shoulders, can make you feel less isolated, and the additional support can help you to put more effort into seeking treatment.

Plus mental illness really isn't something to be ashamed of, and I reckon the more honest we all are about it the better.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Luckily for me they were very supportive, and said they'd help me out in any way they could (although since we lived in different cities there were obviously limits to what they could realistically do). It did take me quite a while to sum up the courage to tell my family (same goes for a lot of people I think), but I'd say that for most people it works out best in the end - it can be quite a weight off your shoulders, can make you feel less isolated, and the additional support can help you to put more effort into seeking treatment.

Plus mental illness really isn't something to be ashamed of, and I reckon the more honest we all are about it the better.
    that's good that they offered to help you out your right, anyone who has a mental illness shouldnt be ashamed at all i think there needs to be a greater awareness of mental illness then maybe people who have depression will feel less hesistate in coming forward and asking for help
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mine didn't find out til it was nearly too late. I'd been depressed for 5 or 6 years before they found out. I was having a massive breakdown and one of my friends who I was on the phone to offered to call my parents for me. Then they phoned me up, and the rest is history!

Don't be afraid to tell them. She's your mum, she'd be devastated if you were suffering on your own
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if mentioned before, but, e-mail is always a good way to do it. You get to write down exactly how you're feeling/been feeling, and include all points you want to include so you don't forget. It also gives your mum time to get over the initial shock/reaction or anything she might say without thinking, and reflect on it, go over your e-mail and figure out how she feels and what to say to you.

If you ever do use this method, I'm always available by PM to read it over for you if you ever want someone to. Good luck whatever you do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes being diagnosed with depression is hard, i should no i have been diagnosed myself with it, however your parents are there to support you, so if you feel like you need to tell them then tell them, however if i was you, and i did this myself, i would tell my parents straight off, not only because they are my parents, but because they will help you through and if they ask what you are depressed about, well you dont have to tell them everything, just say things that need to be said, also they will always be there to help you through not matter what is causing you stress. ON the other hand a technique i found helpful was to write how i was feeling in a diary, then i would hide the diary and forget about the problems, and evey time you write a new entry place the diary some where else so you are not tempted to keep looking at it and end up dwelling on the past. Also another one that helped me, and it may seem silly, but if you have an old teddy, then talk to it, yes it wont talk back, but at least you are off loading your problems, and then it will make you feel better overall. Hope this helps, I always available if you need any support

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 29, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.