Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

psychology questions

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    so for my personal statement, it has been suggested to add a few psychological questions at the start

well i was mulling this over, and i came up with a few ideas...

im applying with royal holloway as firm, which is AAB grades, and also competitive.

are these good enough?

thankyou

Does our subconscious control us more than we think?

Is there an anatomical reason for songs to play in our minds?

Are violent games in virtual worlds escapism for the moralities of real life?

If a symptom of schizophrenia is hearing voices, aren’t we then all a little bit mad?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're good questions... I'd like to know the answers actually!
    Good luck with your statement. There's a section on TSR that has examples of statements and criticism of them subject by subject.

Where else are you thinking of applying? I ask because they all have 'house styles' that you may have to consider when writing the statement ie Bristol needs an emphasis on science (it has clear guidelines as to what it likes to see on line), an applied course would need steering towards your experience and volunteering work etc etc....

• 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Oh god, don't do it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoswyn)
    They're good questions... I'd like to know the answers actually!
    Good luck with your statement. There's a section on TSR that has examples of statements and criticism of them subject by subject.

Where else are you thinking of applying? I ask because they all have 'house styles' that you may have to consider when writing the statement ie Bristol needs an emphasis on science (it has clear guidelines as to what it likes to see on line), an applied course would need steering towards your experience and volunteering work etc etc....

well royal holloway is my firm definately, which is why im basing it around that style.
    im also applying for Hull (insurance... already decided heh), reading, Aston and Cardiff

thanks for the feedback

and yes.. got some volunteering to do
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Haha. Oh god, don't do it.
    huh?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megfashion)
    huh?
    It's cheesy, cringeworthy and wont win you any points. You're supposed to be selling yourself as an applicant, not writing a piece of hyperbole.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's cheesy, cringeworthy and wont win you any points. You're supposed to be selling yourself as an applicant, not writing a piece of hyperbole.
    they have examples of people doing questions at the start on TSR
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    People are idiots on TSR. srs, don't do it. This isn't creative writing.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    People are idiots on TSR. srs, don't do it. This isn't creative writing.
    oh ok then. what should i put instead then? i thought itd be gripping etc... so itd stay in their heads
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Write the whole statement as a first draft anyway so you can edit it all later if you decide not to use the questions. You can use the questions to relate directly to yourself, as illustrations of the kind of things that interest and engage you. If they are a mix of neuropsychology, social and behavioural aspects of the subject for instance it is certainly less clonky and prosaic than merely writing 'I am interested in all aspects of psychology blah blah'. They managed to convey quite a lot of info about your interest while giving a lead in to the whole piece.

I disagree that the personal statement is not in effect a piece of creative writing. It has to be in a way in order to get in everything you want and also to capture and hold the attention of the reader. There is no harm in showing that you are literate either!

However style is subjective and personal so in the end go with your own instinct.

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoswyn)
    Write the whole statement as a first draft anyway so you can edit it all later if you decide not to use the questions. You can use the questions to relate directly to yourself, as illustrations of the kind of things that interest and engage you. If they are a mix of neuropsychology, social and behavioural aspects of the subject for instance it is certainly less clonky and prosaic than merely writing 'I am interested in all aspects of psychology blah blah'. They managed to convey quite a lot of info about your interest while giving a lead in to the whole piece.

I disagree that the personal statement is not in effect a piece of creative writing. It has to be in a way in order to get in everything you want and also to capture and hold the attention of the reader. There is no harm in showing that you are literate either!

However style is subjective and personal so in the end go with your own instinct.

ohh ok yeh thankyou ill probably merge it in then. the examples on TSR always have it in the first paragraph so i thought i should do that too...

im not really going to do anything else till after exams now, but i just felt like doing the questions

thanks x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i actually done something similar to this, but i wouldn't write all of them maybe just 2 and don't just leave it at the questions try and expand on it, tell them why u wrote it
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by messy_teardrops)
    i actually done something similar to this, but i wouldn't write all of them maybe just 2 and don't just leave it at the questions try and expand on it, tell them why u wrote it
    hmm ok, thanks x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do is show how you love psychology so much by saying you've done things outside the classroom...

'My passion for Psychology has encouraged me to undertake outside reading...' etc this shows a real flare for the subject. Rather than listing what you've learnt and how much you like it.

I agree with whoever said it's cringe-worthy, it's not supposed to be Psychology content as such.

Good luck

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.