The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by superwolf
There will indeed be a snooker room, most likely adjacent to the bar. There will also be a bowling alley and swimming pool, and an assault course outside for Saber to use and pretend he's in the army. :mmm:

You know I totally would. Grab a gun, put all my army gear on and run about shooting at empty cans with little beards drawn on. Hell yeah. :cool:
Original post by littleshambles
i find the main guy sooooooo annoying, he just mumbles nonsense tbh and i can't understand half the things he says. they instantly piss me off when i see them. even though logically i know they are just trying to follow me up i don't see why they have to come to see me EVERY day (for like 5 mins, how is that even helpful?!). like the only thing ACTUALLY making me ill is the tablets (although on the plus side they haven't been that awful for me today and i'm cleaning my room up and shizzle). i don't see what is so bad that they have to come every day? i also like how they're all like omg omg omg medicine even though there could conceivably be nothing wrong with me. like shouldn't you NOT unnecessarily medicate people? and they are soooo slow to understand stuff. sometimes they don't even read notes before they turn up. i'm fine anyway. and they are going on about benefits and ESA and going oh go down to the job centre argh argh. i have THINGZ TO DO. eff eff ess.

Could you ask them to maybe make them less visits because they sound like they are just useless. Could you ask them why they are coming round so often. Are the meds having benefits, or just side effects atm? I think not reading notes is part of their job.
Original post by 35mm_
I had my appointment with my psychiatrist on Monday and my CPN turned up too. They both want me to go into respite for a while. My next appointment is Thursday so I'm going to pretend everything is fine and convince them I don't need to go. She said they're on the verge of sectioning me, so one more slip up and that's it. My CPN is a waste of space; when she looked at my arm on Monday she looked so disgusted. #rant

Just be sure and keep yourself safe. :console: You might also want to think about the longer game - if you go in voluntarily now, you might have a better chance of staying out of hospital later.

Original post by littleshambles
stop ****ing promoting alcoholism, seriously.

imagine there being people with alcohol problems in the depression society! IMAGINE.

I'd hardly call it 'promoting alcoholism.' But if you think what I've posted is inappropriate for this society then fair enough, I'll stop.
Original post by superwolf
Just be sure and keep yourself safe. :console: You might also want to think about the longer game - if you go in voluntarily now, you might have a better chance of staying out of hospital later.

I can't do it to my mum though. She told me she doesn't know how she'd cope if I went into hospital again. When I was first admitted she tried to kill herself and she's threatened to do the same if I go back in :frown:

I'd hardly call it 'promoting alcoholism.' But if you think what I've posted is inappropriate for this society then fair enough, I'll stop.

You weren't 'promoting alcoholism'. Ignore her.
I know none of you are doctors but I'm seriously looking for an anti-psychotic change. My olanzapine is no longer working effectively and my psychosis has became much much worse. Can people tell me their experiences of being on different anti-psychotics? Apart from quetiapine because i've been on that before.
Original post by 35mm_
I know none of you are doctors but I'm seriously looking for an anti-psychotic change. My olanzapine is no longer working effectively and my psychosis has became much much worse. Can people tell me their experiences of being on different anti-psychotics? Apart from quetiapine because i've been on that before.

I've been on a hell of a lot of antipsychotics, you can find my views about each one here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1665671

Spoiler

Any questions just ask and I'll try and answer.
Original post by 35mm_

Not been on it for psychosis, but Aripiprazole was pretty good for me. Took it as an augment to an antidepressant. No real side effects from it aside from a little insomnia. Might've actually lost some weight on it (good thing for me :P)
sabertooth
x

Thanks a lot. If I think of any questions I'll be sure to ask you. My mind's gone blank for some reason.

Original post by Exopaladin
Not been on it for psychosis, but Aripiprazole was pretty good for me. Took it as an augment to an antidepressant. No real side effects from it aside from a little insomnia. Might've actually lost some weight on it (good thing for me :P)

I suffer really badly from insomnia so any drug that makes it worse is a massive no-no. :redface: Thanks anyway.
Original post by Anonymous
I will probably chicken out.
I had a shower. Although I am sat here with a towel on my head from 40 minutes ago.

I hope you won't either :hugs:
RESIST THE TEA FLAVOURED GOODNESS! :unimpressed:

No chickening out! :unimpressed:
Haha, I always do that, haven't used a hairdryer for ages! :tongue:
Was today any better? :hugs:

I resisted! I may have had a chocolate as a substitute and I may be drinking a cup of tea right now but still. :tongue:
Meeting with the mental health advisor was really good, once he recieves the gp's letter he's going to email me to fill is a DSA application form which will pay for the mentoring. Looks like it should be ok for my counsellor to be my mentor, only technical thing is there needs to be some time between the counselling ending and the mentoring starting but as the form will take a while to be processed that should be ok. Apparently my counsellor spoke to him and said we get on quite well and I open up to him, that's why it would be good for him to be my mentor. Maybe I'm able to talk to him a bit better than I thought. :colondollar:
Reply 3889
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice if that's ok.
I'm planning on making a GP appointment because I'm worried that I might have depression. I'm very nervous though, and I've been putting the appointment off for a while. Could someone tell me the basics about what happens during the appointment? I'm not a very good talker, so I'm not sure what I should mention.
If I do get diagnosed with depression, I'm reluctant to try antidepressants, and I personally don't think counselling is for me because like I said, I don't like talking (although I'm willing to give anything a go I guess if it makes me better). I'm just wondering what else they would suggest, or are those the two main options that are usually offered?
I know the appointment is different for each person, but I'm freaking out a little so anything to calm me down would be great!
Original post by Angury
I'm planning on making a GP appointment because I'm worried that I might have depression. I'm very nervous though, and I've been putting the appointment off for a while. Could someone tell me the basics about what happens during the appointment? I'm not a very good talker, so I'm not sure what I should mention.
If I do get diagnosed with depression, I'm reluctant to try antidepressants, and I personally don't think counselling is for me because like I said, I don't like talking (although I'm willing to give anything a go I guess if it makes me better). I'm just wondering what else they would suggest, or are those the two main options that are usually offered?
I know the appointment is different for each person, but I'm freaking out a little so anything to calm me down would be great!

You don't need to worry about not being able to say much, you can just say your feeling very low and then the gp should take the lead with questions from there. They will be used to people finding it hard to talk about. You might get given a questionnaire to fill in aswell where you just tick boxes about your symptoms.
Those are the main two forms of treatment apart from possibly another form of talking therapy such as CBT. I think it's worth giving what they suggest a go. Try not to worry too much about the counselling, I was nervous about it but it has really helped despite me being literally the most shy person in the world.
Good luck with the appointment! :hugs:
Original post by Angury

Normally when you see someone new about depression (GP/psychiatrist/whatever) they'll either give you a questionnaire for you to fill out or ask you questions themselves where you rate things like sleep disturbance/low mood/anxiety/eating disturbances/loss of pleasure/loss of libido/etc. They'll take the lead in asking questions rather than just expecting you to know exactly what to say.

Medication and therapy (either talk therapy or CBT) will be the main options, with normally pretty big waiting lists for therapy, so you have some time to decide if you want to do it or not.
Reply 3892
I think I'm going to get admitted into hospital.
Reply 3893
Original post by Anonymous
You don't need to worry about not being able to say much, you can just say your feeling very low and then the gp should take the lead with questions from there. They will be used to people finding it hard to talk about. You might get given a questionnaire to fill in aswell where you just tick boxes about your symptoms.
Those are the main two forms of treatment apart from possibly another form of talking therapy such as CBT. I think it's worth giving what they suggest a go. Try not to worry too much about the counselling, I was nervous about it but it has really helped despite me being literally the most shy person in the world.
Good luck with the appointment! :hugs:

Original post by Exopaladin
Normally when you see someone new about depression (GP/psychiatrist/whatever) they'll either give you a questionnaire for you to fill out or ask you questions themselves where you rate things like sleep disturbance/low mood/anxiety/eating disturbances/loss of pleasure/loss of libido/etc. They'll take the lead in asking questions rather than just expecting you to know exactly what to say.

Medication and therapy (either talk therapy or CBT) will be the main options, with normally pretty big waiting lists for therapy, so you have some time to decide if you want to do it or not.

Thanks for your replies! I just have one more question.. would there be any consequences if I did end up getting diagnosed with depression? Would it limit me in someway in the future? Would I have to mention it in forms when I apply for jobs or whatever? I'm planning to ask the doctor this anyway if I do get diagnosed, but you guys are so helpful. :smile:
Got admitted for a week, only just got out. Told my GP that I thought she was part of a group who wan to hurt me. She sent me to an A&E. They put ****ing police officers outside my cubicle incase I tried to run. Then got threatened with section if I didn't go to hospital voluntarily. No beds in the local hospital so was taken to a high security intensive unit where I was stripped, searched, had everything removed from me including the underwear I was wearing and forced to take sedatives as me asking to be discharged was 'hostile behaviour'. Finally got discharged to my local hospital where again, threatened with section when I tried to leave. Told me I was schizophrenic put me on antipsychotics. Next psychiatrist I saw decided to take me off the antipsychotics, transfer me to a crisis house where I wanted to go initially. Then the crisis team rocked up decided they want me to go home so I'm now in the ****ing basement of my halls scared ****less about the spies, not given medication that could possible help, pissed at the people who put me in hospital and feeling suicidal but can't call the crisis team because I am NEVER going back into hospital again.

For anyone who thinks hospital is place of rest or respite it's not. It is a last resort for times of serious crisis.
Original post by avhhs
I think I'm going to get admitted into hospital.

Do you want to talk about it? Why do you think that.

:hugs:
Original post by Angury
Thanks for your replies! I just have one more question.. would there be any consequences if I did end up getting diagnosed with depression? Would it limit me in someway in the future? Would I have to mention it in forms when I apply for jobs or whatever? I'm planning to ask the doctor this anyway if I do get diagnosed, but you guys are so helpful. :smile:

As far as I'm aware you're not obligated to put it on application forms, not sure that any of the ones I looked at while applying for graduate jobs had sections on disabilities. It's normally something you'd deal with on other forms once you get a job offer/have signed a contract.
Reply 3897
Original post by 35mm_
Do you want to talk about it? Why do you think that.

:hugs:

:jumphug:

I'm currently in A&E, waiting for a psych review.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Noodlzzz
Got admitted for a week, only just got out. Told my GP that I thought she was part of a group who wan to hurt me. She sent me to an A&E. They put ****ing police officers outside my cubicle incase I tried to run. Then got threatened with section if I didn't go to hospital voluntarily. No beds in the local hospital so was taken to a high security intensive unit where I was stripped, searched, had everything removed from me including the underwear I was wearing and forced to take sedatives as me asking to be discharged was 'hostile behaviour'. Finally got discharged to my local hospital where again, threatened with section when I tried to leave. Told me I was schizophrenic put me on antipsychotics. Next psychiatrist I saw decided to take me off the antipsychotics, transfer me to a crisis house where I wanted to go initially. Then the crisis team rocked up decided they want me to go home so I'm now in the ****ing basement of my halls scared ****less about the spies, not given medication that could possible help, pissed at the people who put me in hospital and feeling suicidal but can't call the crisis team because I am NEVER going back into hospital again.

For anyone who thinks hospital is place of rest or respite it's not. It is a last resort for times of serious crisis.

Argh, that sounds like a total nightmare. :console:

Why'd they take you off of the antipsychotics?
Original post by avhhs
:jumphug:

I'm currently in A&E, waiting for a psych review.

Spoiler

Ah. I'm sorry it's came to this, but maybe being admitted to hospital may help with whatever you've got going on at the moment. I've got a bad feeling I'm going to be admitted again in the next week. Sucks. I hope things get better for you, I truly do.

Latest