The Student Room Group

Law Research Project Title

Dear All,

At the moment I am choosing my electives for next year (currently year 2 LLB Law) and I've been asked to submit a research proposal for the half-module I'm taking.

It's a mini-dissertation (5000 words) so it's not too demanding but I'm not sure what title to submit. I am thinking of doing something on the development of equity over the years with a particular focus on specific aspects of equity but do you have any ideas on how I can make the question less vague?

Any help is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Bartek
Original post by Bartek_1928
Dear All,

At the moment I am choosing my electives for next year (currently year 2 LLB Law) and I've been asked to submit a research proposal for the half-module I'm taking.

It's a mini-dissertation (5000 words) so it's not too demanding but I'm not sure what title to submit. I am thinking of doing something on the development of equity over the years with a particular focus on specific aspects of equity but do you have any ideas on how I can make the question less vague?

Any help is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Bartek

It's a little difficult with you giving us more info on the specific aspects of equity that you will be discussing, but how about something like this:

'The development of equity from [year] to [year] : [aspect a] [aspect b] & [aspect c]'

As an example, I know someone who wrote a research essay entitled: 'Yours, Mine and Ours: Parental Rights over Embryos Created by IVF.'
Reply 2
Dear All,

Any help is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Bartek

I've spent the last few weeks writing a dissertation proposal for next year. I think I understand where you are at the minute. You've identified an area of law which interests you but your idea for a research project is still very wide and a little vague. The paradox is that until you research that area of law it's difficult to write a research proposal. By that I mean that you need to identify the areas which have, or continue, to generate academic debate. Then you'll begin to find where a good amount of source material is available. As you do this I think you'll come across a specific area that you want to explore further. 5,000 words will disappear very quickly so keep it very tightly focussed. As you really narrow that focus I think the question will come to you. I know that's very general advice but the point I'm trying to make, rather long windedly, is that by researching the general area you will hopefully find the specific area that you want to concentrate on.
Reply 3
Original post by La Songeuse
It's a little difficult with you giving us more info on the specific aspects of equity that you will be discussing, but how about something like this:

'The development of equity from [year] to [year] : [aspect a] [aspect b] & [aspect c]'

As an example, I know someone who wrote a research essay entitled: 'Yours, Mine and Ours: Parental Rights over Embryos Created by IVF.'

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I almost wish I had to write at least 10 000 words...
Reply 4
Original post by cliffg
I've spent the last few weeks writing a dissertation proposal for next year. I think I understand where you are at the minute. You've identified an area of law which interests you but your idea for a research project is still very wide and a little vague. The paradox is that until you research that area of law it's difficult to write a research proposal. By that I mean that you need to identify the areas which have, or continue, to generate academic debate. Then you'll begin to find where a good amount of source material is available. As you do this I think you'll come across a specific area that you want to explore further. 5,000 words will disappear very quickly so keep it very tightly focussed. As you really narrow that focus I think the question will come to you. I know that's very general advice but the point I'm trying to make, rather long windedly, is that by researching the general area you will hopefully find the specific area that you want to concentrate on.

You're absolutely right but I have done thorough research and I just can't make up my mind. I somehow want to include all these little areas and I end up with a wuestion that requires about 50 000 words...I'll try to be a bit more decisive, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
5000 words for your proposal? we only had to do 1000 ;/
Reply 6
I think doing the development of equity is a good idea, i wish i had done mine on something like that. I'm half way through 3rd year stuck with a dissertation subject i hate!
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I almost wish I had to write at least 10 000 words...

Nahh, my research essay was 10,000 words and my coursework for one of my modules was 8,000. 18,000 words was hell to write towards the end!

Good luck and I hope you manage to sort out your title :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Fergie21
5000 words for your proposal? we only had to do 1000 ;/

No, the research proposal has no limit or guidance in terms of words, the actual project has a 5,000 word limit :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest