The Student Room Group

Barts and The London - 2012 Interviews, Offers and Rejections Thread

Hello everybody. Seeing as there wasn't already a thread I figured I'd make one. This is just a thread for everyone whos interested in Barts 2012.

I had my interview on 06/12/11

Anyone here going for Barts as their first choice? Opinions on Whitechapel itself and opinions on teaching would be interesting too.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a dentist, but I am a medical student at BL so if people have questions about BL then I might be able to help :h:

I know **** all about dentistry though so don't ask me about the course :lol:
Reply 2
Hi,
I have an interview on the 31st? any tips on how to prepare for the interview and for the dvd questions?

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by h_1507
Hi,
I have an interview on the 31st? any tips on how to prepare for the interview and for the dvd questions?

:smile:

Well, i can't tell you what the video is. BUT, i would recommend brushing up on decorum and professionalism in the dental practise, including the role of the dental nurse. Also work on ethics, that should help you. There are 3 on the panel. Mine were very nice. There are 3 interview stations in one big room. Each one is private and surrounded by blue dividing partitions.

Just be yourself, and be happy and enthusiastic!
Reply 4
would u say the questions on the dvd are difficult to answer?
so you dont sit and talk to all three of them at once? and do they ask the common questions like why dentistry and questions on your personal statement or mainly questions on research?
Do i need to take in something to show manual dexterity?

Reply 5
Original post by h_1507
would u say the questions on the dvd are difficult to answer?
so you dont sit and talk to all three of them at once? and do they ask the common questions like why dentistry and questions on your personal statement or mainly questions on research?
Do i need to take in something to show manual dexterity?

The questions arn't hard per se. But you can easily balls them up. You need to know what your talking about when it comes to how a dentist should conduct himself in front of a patient. The DVD questions are your chance to really show off what you know.

Each one will ask you different questions. Its usually 2 lectures and a student. The lecturers ask you NHS questions and questions about your personal statement and the student will ask you questions about the uni and yourself.

I would definitley recommend binging something in, it gives you something to talk about and its a really good demonstration of your diversity as a character. I brought my trumpet in, they really liked that. So if you play an instrument, take that as well as something else, perhaps something you made at a dental lab or some drawings etc.
Reply 6
oh okay :smile: well i do art so was thinking of bringing in a few scultures i made ...
Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 7
I've been waiting for this thread for quite some time :smile: .I've got an interview on the 1st of February, but am going to have to reschedule as I have an exam on the same date. What are the 3 seperate interview stations for?
Good luck for your interviews!
Reply 8
It says in the email they've sent:
"Please arrive 15 minutes before your interview to watch a DVD - details below.

For the interview please register in the foyer of the Garrod Building, Whitechapel behind the Royal London Hospital, details of which you will find on the attached map.

Each interview lasts approximately 30 minutes and there are usually three members on the interview panel; two staff or professional members and a current dental student. You will also usually have the opportunity to meet a student and ask any questions you might have and to look around the Whitechapel campus."

I don't know if the video is part of the interview so you're gonna have to wait for somebody else to reply or email them. Just add about half an hour to the end of the maximum length of the interview just so you have insurance time :smile: .
Reply 9
Original post by Q.T
I've been waiting for this thread for quite some time :smile: .I've got an interview on the 1st of February, but am going to have to reschedule as I have an exam on the same date. What are the 3 seperate interview stations for?
Good luck for your interviews!

You misunderstand, there are 3 interview stations for 3 seperate applicants. You are interviewed in the same room at the same time, however, you only have an interview at one of them. Mine was the one on the right as you walk in. The were two others on the left hand wall.
Reply 10
Original post by Q.T
It says in the email they've sent:
"Please arrive 15 minutes before your interview to watch a DVD - details below.

For the interview please register in the foyer of the Garrod Building, Whitechapel behind the Royal London Hospital, details of which you will find on the attached map.

Each interview lasts approximately 30 minutes and there are usually three members on the interview panel; two staff or professional members and a current dental student. You will also usually have the opportunity to meet a student and ask any questions you might have and to look around the Whitechapel campus."

I don't know if the video is part of the interview so you're gonna have to wait for somebody else to reply or email them. Just add about half an hour to the end of the maximum length of the interview just so you have insurance time :smile: .

The interview itself, is 30 minutes long, thats 30 minutes talking to the interviewers, although its usually a little bit less and feels like alot less. The video is about 5 minutes long. I would advise going early though, i couldn't find the interview building and ended up in mile end a 15 minute walk from whitechapel. I arrived juuuuust in time to do my interview :s
Reply 11
Original post by Kartace
You misunderstand, there are 3 interview stations for 3 seperate applicants. You are interviewed in the same room at the same time, however, you only have an interview at one of them. Mine was the one on the right as you walk in. The were two others on the left hand wall.

Wow, now I feel retarded :colondollar: .
Reply 12
How long do they usually take to reply to candidates after an interview on whether they were successful of not?
Reply 13
Original post by Q.T
How long do they usually take to reply to candidates after an interview on whether they were successful of not?

Well for you guys it will be alot quicker than for those of us who had their interviews before christmas.

They said to us we'd hear around march after everyone had been interviewed. So for you guys 1-2 months wait i would say.
Reply 14
Hi, i've not had an interview........was this the last batch of interviews? i'm a panicking......
Reply 15
Keep your hopes up they might not have finished giving them.
Reply 16
I am a current dental student there, please feel free to ask or inbox if you are too shy.
Reply 17
Original post by coolcat34
I am a current dental student there, please feel free to ask or inbox if you are too shy.

Hey coolcat. What year r u in. Could u tell me what your timetable is like. Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by UR4
Hey coolcat. What year r u in. Could u tell me what your timetable is like. Thanks

basically..... 1st year is quite busy with lots of lectures but also a lot of reading time before exams in May....

2nd year is a mixture of exams and labs and phantom heads up the Christmas, then it quietens down, you may be at uni sometimes only 2 or 3 days a week.... after easter it gets a bit more exciting again when you start seeing patients...

from then onwards you will have clinics and the odd lecture on a wednesday. there are blocked off weeks for specific teaching or outreach clinics but otherwise you may be in uni only 2 and a half days a week if you're in the right group... or 4 days but only half day sessions.

it's not that bad....
Reply 19
Ive got an exam on the same day as my interview, has anyone else rescheduled their interview? How long does it take them to give you another date? I assume it's never a problem and does not affect my application?

Thaaaanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest