The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClaraMay
Hey, I cleverly booked transport and accommodation to go down for one of the history open days before checking if there were actually any spaces left on it (which there wasn't) so now I'm missing it because I can't really afford to go down again. I was just wondering if I'll miss much? I'm still going down the day I've booked so at least I can see the city but in terms of the actual course/official accommodation tour will I miss much? Thanks :smile:

If you've seen the campus before on a normal open day then no you won't miss a huge ammount, post offer open days are just a good refresher. Course details are on the website- just go to uea.ac.uk, undergraduate and find your course. If you haven't been to the open day, check this link out
http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/campus-tours

There are campus tours running every Friday if you will be down then, and it says how to book them. If not then if you have a look 3/4's of the way down it gives you a link to an unaccompanied campus tour leaflet which can be done anytime- I'd reccomend you do this. You won't be able to see inside the accomodation block or the library but you can get a feel for the campus.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by SalC
Yeah I'm hoping to carry it on, I'm having lessons again at the moment after being out for a few years also, I had my own horse but it was just too much over my GCSE's. Where abouts are you? It's £21 for an hour where I go, I go fortnightly and sacrifice a night out that weekend!

You're also applying for SLT aren't you? I found this link about the accomodation... you said it wasn't working for you but it was for me :smile:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation/med-ahp-nsc

Thanks a mill for the link SalC that page works for me too but its when I click on the room comparison chart that its saying the page doesn't exist. Strange!

Aw I'd love to own my own horse but when I think about it I wouldn't have the time to commit either :frown:

I'm in Ireland so I went to a school over here, it used to be a great riding school but then they became all about the money, I found myself dreading going because the people were so horrible, it wasn't fun anymore.

Yep I'm going to be doing SLT :smile: Have you chosen UEA for definite?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1182
Original post by perri winkles
Thanks a mill for the link SalC that page works for me too but its when I click on the room comparison chart that its saying the page doesn't exist. Strange!

Aw I'd love to own my own horse but when I think about it I wouldn't have the time to commit either :frown:

I'm in Ireland so I went to a school over here, it used to be a great riding school but then they became all about the money, I found myself dreading going because the people were so horrible, it wasn't fun anymore.

Oh haha woops, me too.

Yeah they pretty much eat time and money! That's one thing I don't miss, having some time to myself and actually being able to buy myself new things instead of that new feed bucket Jack needed, or the new lead rope for the pony or the new gate that they broke etc etc!

Oh that's cool - yeah that's a shame, I find most riding schools seem to be really money driven though, really puts me off. I'm looking for a share a couple of times a week at the moment :smile:

Yeah I've made my mind up, fell in love when I went for my interview! I've not firmed it yet cause I'm still waiting to hear back from BCU as they will (hopefully!) be my insurance. How about you?

Sal

Sorry about this. We are having a few problems with our website at the moment. I'll see if I can fix it.

There you go - it's fixed! Sorry about that.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation/med-ahp-nsc
Reply 1185
Offer for speech and language therapy YAYYY :smile: x
Original post by UEAAccommodation

Great thanks a mill! What's the university village like? Is it far from campus? And is it generally a social place to live or would I be better on campus? Sorry for all the qs! :redface:
Great thanks a mill! What's the university village like? Is it far from campus? And is it generally a social place to live or would I be better on campus? Sorry for all the qs! :redface:

The University village is just across the road from campus- from the entrance to the village to the university entrance (near the Sportspark if you have a look at a map) is literally 2 mins. To the centre of campus (the square) is around 7 mins depending on how fast you walk. How social it is depends on your flatmates and those others in the block, but I've met plenty of social people who live there. The main difference compared with campus ensuite is that rooms and bathrooms are smaller.
Original post by jelly1000
The University village is just across the road from campus- from the entrance to the village to the university entrance (near the Sportspark if you have a look at a map) is literally 2 mins. To the centre of campus (the square) is around 7 mins depending on how fast you walk. How social it is depends on your flatmates and those others in the block, but I've met plenty of social people who live there. The main difference compared with campus ensuite is that rooms and bathrooms are smaller.

Thanks a mill for this! I can't really afford to fly over again to see the accomodation in person, it only really hit me today how much accom is actually going to be. Need to up my savings pronto! So just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision. I would like a cheaper place than the ensuite premium so just wanna look at all the options :smile:
Thanks a mill for this! I can't really afford to fly over again to see the accomodation in person, it only really hit me today how much accom is actually going to be. Need to up my savings pronto! So just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision. I would like a cheaper place than the ensuite premium so just wanna look at all the options :smile:

Honestly if moneys a problem i wouldn't bother with campus ensuites...hell even I think the village is costly sometimes. I know if I was in the campus ones I'd be living on 11p noodles haha. If youre not bothered about ensuits then I'd go for the Ziggurats. Cheaper and definitely social. Plus I think your course is in the Queens building and that's like 5mins from Norfolk Terrace.

Village - can take 5 mins if youre speedy gonzales and going near the square, congregation hall/drama area. Takes about 15mins to get to places like CD annex...although I'm sure if you cut through Earlham Park and around the back of the buildings it'll take like 10 mins, never tried it though. I think anywhere except the Ziggurats it is basically flatmate lottery you could be in a social flat with very social people, or you could be in a flat where a proportion of them are very antisocial. I think the village just has a reputation of being quiet because most people who don't live there cba to walk down university drive to actually see what its like lol
Reply 1190
Original post by makingamemory
Honestly if moneys a problem i wouldn't bother with campus ensuites...hell even I think the village is costly sometimes. I know if I was in the campus ones I'd be living on 11p noodles haha. If youre not bothered about ensuits then I'd go for the Ziggurats. Cheaper and definitely social. Plus I think your course is in the Queens building and that's like 5mins from Norfolk Terrace.

Village - can take 5 mins if youre speedy gonzales and going near the square, congregation hall/drama area. Takes about 15mins to get to places like CD annex...although I'm sure if you cut through Earlham Park and around the back of the buildings it'll take like 10 mins, never tried it though. I think anywhere except the Ziggurats it is basically flatmate lottery you could be in a social flat with very social people, or you could be in a flat where a proportion of them are very antisocial. I think the village just has a reputation of being quiet because most people who don't live there cba to walk down university drive to actually see what its like lol

Hey :smile: Currently trying to decide on accomodation, thought I was pretty set on en-suite until I worked out how much it was going to cost me each year for the priviledge of having a teency weency bathroom! What do you think of the shared bathrooms? How is it set up, is it like public showers or is there a bathroom with a shower in it? Are the toilets separate? My fear is that people will be disgusting and leave the floors wet and dirty and poo in the sink and generally be gross hahaha. Although everywhere I've seen people talking about it, they all say they've rarely had problems with shared bathrooms!

Sal
Hello, I have a conditional offer on passing my OU modules for Natural Sciences.

I'm a 'mature' student (22/23 this academic year) anyone else a bit older than school age?? :smile:
Original post by SalC
Hey :smile: Currently trying to decide on accomodation, thought I was pretty set on en-suite until I worked out how much it was going to cost me each year for the priviledge of having a teency weency bathroom! What do you think of the shared bathrooms? How is it set up, is it like public showers or is there a bathroom with a shower in it? Are the toilets separate? My fear is that people will be disgusting and leave the floors wet and dirty and poo in the sink and generally be gross hahaha. Although everywhere I've seen people talking about it, they all say they've rarely had problems with shared bathrooms!

Sal

Sorry I'm afraid I can only say what other people have told me (which you've already summed up) as I have an en-suite myself, but I know people in Mary Champan Court and the Ziggurats and they haven't had a problem. If I remember correctly in the Ziggurats it's 2 showers and they have a toilet and then there's a separate one? But I honestly can't remember I know they have two showers, that are glass doored stand in ones? I know in MCC they have a bath and two toilets.

I think everyone else has answered this better than I could have done!

Whatever you pick you should have a great year. Very few people really hate their accommodation and but if they do and they come and see us we can often change their room to a different area anyway.
Just received a conditional offer to study Psychology at the UEA woohoo :smile: Conditional on passing my Access course with 36 credits at distinction and 9 at merit :smile: Will definitely be my Firm :smile:
Original post by Determined*
Just received a conditional offer to study Psychology at the UEA woohoo :smile: Conditional on passing my Access course with 36 credits at distinction and 9 at merit :smile: Will definitely be my Firm :smile:

Yay!!! Hope you get the grades then! :biggrin:

Sorry, I tend to be a bit overenthusiastic when someone else says they're firming UEA...:colondollar:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Yay!!! Hope you get the grades then! :biggrin:

Sorry, I tend to be a bit overenthusiastic when someone else says they're firming UEA...:colondollar:

Thanks :smile: Thats okay lol, I absolutely love UEA as well :biggrin:
Original post by Determined*
Thanks :smile: Thats okay lol, I absolutely love UEA as well :biggrin:

Yeah, people always look blank when I talk about it though. :lol: One day UEA will have the fame it deserves. :love: I love the ziggurats, they're what makes UEA so distinctive. I just generally love UEA, really looking forward to going there.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Yeah, people always look blank when I talk about it though. :lol: One day UEA will have the fame it deserves. :love: I love the ziggurats, they're what makes UEA so distinctive. I just generally love UEA, really looking forward to going there.

I know what you mean lol. Some people I know aren't too keen on UEA but I can't understand why! The people all seem so lovely, the campus is beautiful and it is very highly ranked. What is not to love! Same here I cannot wait to start. I have 15 out of 15 distinctions so far and waiting back on 21 credits at the moment so just hoping that if they are at distinction then would only be the 9 merits to go! :smile: Fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by SuperCat007
Hello, I have a conditional offer on passing my OU modules for Natural Sciences.

I'm a 'mature' student (22/23 this academic year) anyone else a bit older than school age?? :smile:

Yup me 20 will be 21 when I get there. I'm doing a science foundation year. Not sure if I will stay in student accommodation.

Latest