The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

How to find private accommodation ?

Hello,

Probably it is hard to find a house in Canterbury cause its small town with a lot of students. Can you give me some advice ? Is it too late to start searching for a house in March ? My budget is 300 GBP per month.. is it possible to find decent accommodation for that amount of money ?
I tried an agency but they want 200 GBP fee, is it normal to pay so much money just for a tax to the agency ? Is there any way to find a house without paying to the agency ? I mean finding house owners via newspaper or something like that.

sorry if asking too many questions.
Reply 1
Original post by travelerbg
Hello,

Probably it is hard to find a house in Canterbury cause its small town with a lot of students. Can you give me some advice ? Is it too late to start searching for a house in March ? My budget is 300 GBP per month.. is it possible to find decent accommodation for that amount of money ?
I tried an agency but they want 200 GBP fee, is it normal to pay so much money just for a tax to the agency ? Is there any way to find a house without paying to the agency ? I mean finding house owners via newspaper or something like that.

sorry if asking too many questions.

No it's not too late, you can find a single room to rent any time of year (a whole house would be harder). You may find you can get cheaper rent if you wait until the summer (people drop out of university then) but that's a higher risk strategy.

Google 'room to rent in canterbury' and you'll see loads of sites with listings, for example:

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare-house-share/roomsrent-canterbury/

£300 is at the low end of the market - you probably won't be close to either University or to the city centre.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest