The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bufferz
Well done on having the courage to do something completely different, I've been in my job for 17 yrs, and while the pay's ok, I think its a case of me only going when pushed rather than going for my own reasons, mainly cos I love the job, but being the MoD, there is simply no promotion opportunities currently due to the cutbacks...

Thx. I gathered that there wouldn't be any for the time being but there's absolutely none in the NHS so I think this would be the better of the two! Also if I get my BEng, because of the job I'd be doing they can get you IEng or CEng :smile: where as I don't get the job I'll end up with a BEng + no real practical experience.

Original post by Vorenus
Hey Bleak Lemming!
Just wondering how you cope with the studying, while working full-time in shifts?

I`ll be in the same boat starting in April (German EMS, will be studying towards BA English Literature).

Are you still an IHCD Para or is this your second degree?

I'm a tech, so no degree or anything :/ good thing about EMS is that you're not always busy (granted sometimes we are) so there's always downtime to grab 30 mins here and there. I work at a quiet station (Hexham) and some night shifts we get 3-5 hours sat on station. Most people sleep but I chug down a coffee and hit the books.

Original post by Moggs
Wow, drunken ramblings. What a strange night. At least the assignment went in the post.. I think.

Being a submariner still sounds as cool as it did 8 hours ago though. Is that why you switched to the BEng from physics?

For the integration bits, I think I used KhanAcademy and PatrickJMT.com. Khan for the initial learning and Patrick for some more difficult examples. The process seems to have stuck because of how he introduced it by messing the with differentiation rules. It also seemed to help to do a few hundred practice problems rather than rely on the book as I find the number of exercises quite low.

I think the reason I got behind with MST209 was I kept getting side-tracked and exploring proofs of things (or attempting to anyway). It's lucky that it's so well written so far, or I'd be in real trouble. Can't really imagine going straight there from nothing though :eek: that's insane.

Thanks :biggrin: It's going to be a do nothing day for once. Ahh relaxing.

I Hope your tutoring goes well.

I switched to BEng from Physics as I thought there'd be better job prospects at the end of it (scientists seem to get paid very little).

For calculus I've bought a book called '3,000 Solved Problems in Calculus'. I sort pretty much get differentiation, as with integration.. It's just integration by substitution which I'm struggling with a little bit. You're right tho with calculus it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice!

I don't know if you're aware of this website but I love it. Wolfram|Alpha. If you're stuck on any sort of maths question you can type it in there and it will come up with the answer and show you how it's done.. For example 'Taylor series ln(1-x)' or if you're after the derivative of a complicated function try 7(3(cos(x))/(arctan(cos(x)), actually that's not as hard as it looks...

I haven't bothered with any of the proofs! "This subsection will not be assessed." My favourite words :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
That was an interesting chat Mr Lemming and co! :biggrin:. Submariner eh? What would put me off is the shared bunker thing (taking it in turns I mean :biggrin:) but the undersea adventure seems fun. Loved Voyage to the bottom of the sea!! :smile:

As for degrees I think you've made the right choice switching to BEng, as the OU BEng is designed to meet the standards of several engineering institutes. Having said that many firms seem to regard a physics degree as if it were an engineering degree. I suppose you learn the language of engineers as a physicist.

I thought about the BEng but I thought that Nat Sci would be more interesting, I did consider an Open combining science and engineering but thought that I might not learn enough in depth.
Anyone studying Language studies with the OU?

I've been thinking of Doing Spanish and French, but just worried about how the oral side of it works?
Original post by bestofyou
Anyone studying Language studies with the OU?

I've been thinking of Doing Spanish and French, but just worried about how the oral side of it works?

Sjcliffe who does OU languages did start a recent chat thread. Might be worth PMing him/her? and reviving it.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35628360&highlight=language
Original post by Nitebot
That was an interesting chat Mr Lemming and co! :biggrin:. Submariner eh? What would put me off is the shared bunker thing (taking it in turns I mean :biggrin:) but the undersea adventure seems fun. Loved Voyage to the bottom of the sea!! :smile:

As for degrees I think you've made the right choice switching to BEng, as the OU BEng is designed to meet the standards of several engineering institutes. Having said that many firms seem to regard a physics degree as if it were an engineering degree. I suppose you learn the language of engineers as a physicist.

I thought about the BEng but I thought that Nat Sci would be more interesting, I did consider an Open combining science and engineering but thought that I might not learn enough in depth.

What do you fancy doing with your BSc once it's done??
Original post by Bleak Lemming
What do you fancy doing with your BSc once it's done??

I signed up for personal interest so it may not end up being used career wise. The plan was to follow the astronomy/ planetary science pathway which is unlikely to lead me to a carreer in that area. I'm not sure what I could do with it but if like Moggs I get given the public sector heave ho I'd have something else to offer. May be if I did the Earth Sciences route I could get into emergency management or something like that. If we have some global super disaster we'll need more earth scientists. May be?? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nitebot
I signed up for personal interest so it may not end up being used career wise. The plan was to follow the astronomy/ planetary science pathway which is unlikely to lead me to a carrier in that area. I'm not sure what I could do with it but if like Moggs I get given the public sector heave ho I'd have something else to offer. May be if I did the Earth Sciences route I could get into emergency management or something like that. If we have some global super disaster we'll need more earth scientists. May be?? :biggrin:

I'd love to do a degree out of interest! Probably would do the BSc Criminology & Psychological Studies if I wasn't going to pursue a career after. Buttttt that's never gonna happen tbh!

Had an hour 1-2-1 with a tutor and I am pwning this integration business now if I say so myself :biggrin: Have you got much maths in your L3 modules? I heard that the cosmology one (can't remember its name!) is quite difficult, 3 big books! When I was thinking of doing Physics I looked at the electromagnetism text books and almost had a heart attack....
Reply 5127
I'd love to do a degree out of interest! Probably would do the BSc Criminology & Psychological Studies if I wasn't going to pursue a career after. Buttttt that's never gonna happen tbh!

Same here. :biggrin:
Moggs, you received your tma2 result yet for t397? Over 2 weeks and still waiting...
2500 words due in for end of today (4th march) tis gonna be a long night
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster

Again!? You need to get on it matey! :P

They're working you hard!
Again!? You need to get on it matey! :P

I know. Busy week this week. Got another due in for the 8th and got an interview the same day and need to get my Oxford applications in by the 9th and as I'm applying for 3 different programmes I need to write three statements too so busy busy busy. It helps that I'm a fast typer though.....
I know. Busy week this week. Got another due in for the 8th and got an interview the same day and need to get my Oxford applications in by the 9th and as I'm applying for 3 different programmes I need to write three statements too so busy busy busy. It helps that I'm a fast typer though.....

Wow, what is it you're wanting to do at Oxford?
Wow, what is it you're wanting to do at Oxford?

Either Economic and Social History, History of Medicine/Science/Technology, Public Policy or Financial Economics.
Either Economic and Social History, History of Medicine/Science/Technology, Public Policy or Financial Economics.

Are you not studying medicine? :O

These will be Masters right?!
Are you not studying medicine? :O

I am/was although considering various options atm for various reasons.
Original post by Nitebot
These will be Masters right?!

Yes.

Right then must crack on with the TMA just fueled up on red bull and marmite on toast that should see me through until morning. Night.
Reply 5139
Original post by bufferz
Moggs, you received your tma2 result yet for t397? Over 2 weeks and still waiting...

Hey Bufferz, yeah I got it a day or two after submitting. I have the same tutor as T207 though, and he's always insanely fast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending