The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE MODULAR 5MB1H Higher Tier UNIT 1 Answers March 2012

See attached

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh my God! I got the majority of questions right but I lost out on a lot of marks! Do you think '50x' will be accepted instead of '5x' on Q12b? And 0.1 instead of 1/100 on the 2nd last page? I left the whole of the pie chart page blank so that's 3 marks down the drain and made up a really stupid question for the survey. Btw, everyone can get different gradients right? Well done on finding the paper :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Ptolemy001
Oh my God! I got the majority of questions right but I lost out on a lot of marks! Do you think '50x' will be accepted instead of '5x' on Q12b? And 0.1 instead of 1/100 on the 2nd last page? I left the whole of the pie chart page blank so that's 3 marks down the drain and made up a really stupid question for the survey. Btw, everyone can get different gradients right? Well done on finding the paper :biggrin:

gradient is -0.35
no other answer is acceptable
Reply 3
Oooh, do you think i'd get 1 mark/ 2 marks for working out the gradient as 0.35 not -0.35?! **** I remember wanting to go back and stick a minus on that!
I think I probably got around 48-50. I'm fine with that as I wanted around an A which I think it is. I'm actually really surprised to see that I got that 5x one with histograms correct; that's the one I was most unsure about! It always feels good to get something right that you have no idea about (though then I messed up on things I did know how to do!!).

Stupidly messed up on all the last question (messed up on the first part, therefore all the other parts to that were wrong too...). Though I may have got one mark for doing the 1-0.1 = 0.9. But then I didn't do the girl as twice as likely so I did rubbish on the rest...

I didn't do well on the pie chart one, either. I did work out something to do with 2.5, so I'm not sure if I'll get a mark for that in the working bit. Though I'd probably have had to do more with the number...

On the biased question thing, I put something like "only one time of day" and "needs to go on more than one day". Would either of these be acceptable? I don't think my second one is, but I'm not sure about the first one?
Reply 5
for question 2,

i did 120/15 to find the number of adults which is 8
then i did 120/3 = 40 for the number of students going on each coach
and then if 40 students are going, then 8/3=2.666= 3 adults must go on each coach
which means (40+3) 43 people on each coach, but there are 42 seats only, so no there isn't
is that correct?
and for 5b) i rounded 92.5 to 93
will i get the mark?
oh and also, for number 10) i did the method of dividing 50/48.7 and 120/50.2, then i took away the number from 50/48.7 from 125/50.2 and divided the difference by 75. however, i rounded the answer for 50/48.7 wrong otherwise i would have gotten the same answer of 51.2 - would i get 1 or maybe two marks for error carried forward?
and the last last question - i did the method right but i did the reverse of finding all the probabilities for him winning once, twice or three times and added them up - however i used 0.6 and not 0.7 - would i get a mark for method?
Edexcel GCSE MODULAR 5MB1H Higher Tier UNIT 1 Answers March 2012

could you do UNIT 3 Highter Tier, Modular..
Reply 7
for question 2 i did it that way because i thought its 4 marks, plus there is an asterisk, so its marked on qwc so i thought theres more to it
Reply 8
oh and also, for the biased question i wrote he only asked people in the evening, and he only asked people in his restaurant
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If those answers were right i lost 2 marks only I might just have got an A*... Futher maths here i come!!!!
does anyone know the grade boundaries????? hope its 54 for a* or lower...
Original post by mrmanps
gradient is -0.35
no other answer is acceptable

No its not they will have a leniency of -0.33 to -0.36... They always have the leniency for these type of question, otherwise it would be seriously harsh and unfair because people find the gradients on line P at different points...
Reply 12
what did everyone put for the question that stated find the probability that all three games were draw?

I did 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1, which on the calculator came up as 1x10-3, but i converted it to 1/1000
Reply 13
I thought I would have got an A, but after looking at this I think i probably got a high B :s-smilie: Oh well
Reply 14
Original post by gideongaspard
No its not they will have a leniency of -0.33 to -0.36... They always have the leniency for these type of question, otherwise it would be seriously harsh and unfair because people find the gradients on line P at different points...

I hope so too. My class will have undoubtedly put answers close to -0.35 but its not on the MS atm!
@mr manps,do you think ill get one mark for gradient 0.35?and on the question 2 reason why it might be biased,i wrote that this is only from one evening so what if the n umber of customer changes on weekends will it be fine.your help would be highly appreciated!
Original post by EL77
oh and also, for the biased question i wrote he only asked people in the evening, and he only asked people in his restaurant

what grade student are you?
Original post by mrmanps
I hope so too. My class will have undoubtedly put answers close to -0.35 but its not on the MS atm!

will any person get a mark for m=0.35?
Original post by gideongaspard

What did you do for the last question.
Reply 19
was this a calc paper or non calc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending