The Student Room Group

First year language students, how are you finding it?

I'm just interested to see how everyone else is finding their first year as a language student.

I'm at Bristol - my course is diabolical and I feel I was better at the language I'm learning two years ago at A-Level than I am now...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nickth
I'm just interested to see how everyone else is finding their first year as a language student.

I'm at Bristol - my course is diabolical and I feel I was better at the language I'm learning two years ago at A-Level than I am now...

I'm finding it very challenging. but rewarding at the same time.

One thing I would say is that the Oxford course has quite a small focus on the spoken language - we mainly focus on translation/grammar and a ridiculous amount of literature. I would like to have more of a culture of speaking the language.

Apart from that, it's been really good. I feel my grammar has improved the most, mainly because I have a nutter of a grammar teacher.

What are you finding diabolical about the Bristol course? What languages do you study?
Reply 2
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I'm finding it very challenging. but rewarding at the same time.

One thing I would say is that the Oxford course has quite a small focus on the spoken language - we mainly focus on translation/grammar and a ridiculous amount of literature. I would like to have more of a culture of speaking the language.

Apart from that, it's been really good. I feel my grammar has improved the most, mainly because I have a nutter of a grammar teacher.

What are you finding diabolical about the Bristol course? What languages do you study?

I'm studying German.

The Bristol course too seems quite detached from the spoken language - well, out of the average 8 contact hours we have per week there are 3 taught in German. But in these sessions we seem to carry out meaningless tasks - last week we were given a photo of an elderly person and asked to creatively write a biography of their life. I don't know whether I'm too lazy to be creative, but it just doesn't interest me. Why can't I be given something to research, read about and write up in my chosen language?

The department has this year decided to teach the grammar using an online course which we must complete every week on Blackboard. This is something that everyone seems to whine about as it isn't effective at teaching us a fundamental skill of our language ( I believe German grammar is one of the hardest to learn?)

However, I do find stimulating the history and literature we are studying, although we are fed this in very small doses.

Needless to say, I wouldn't choose Bristol if I were to apply again.
Reply 3
Ooh, this is interesting for me as a student who's going to study French and German in September at UCL - provided I get the grades. :s-smilie:
Original post by nickth
I'm studying German.

The Bristol course too seems quite detached from the spoken language - well, out of the average 8 contact hours we have per week there are 3 taught in German. But in these sessions we seem to carry out meaningless tasks - last week we were given a photo of an elderly person and asked to creatively write a biography of their life. I don't know whether I'm too lazy to be creative, but it just doesn't interest me. Why can't I be given something to research, read about and write up in my chosen language?

The department has this year decided to teach the grammar using an online course which we must complete every week on Blackboard. This is something that everyone seems to whine about as it isn't effective at teaching us a fundamental skill of our language ( I believe German grammar is one of the hardest to learn?)

However, I do find stimulating the history and literature we are studying, although we are fed this in very small doses.

Needless to say, I wouldn't choose Bristol if I were to apply again.

I understand about being given weird tasks. The writing in the language (beyond translation) is a synthesis exercise where we get a 1000 word article on literary theory and summarise it in 200 words using our own expression. The articles are linked to the books we study but it gets really repetitive.

I was under the impression Bristol had quite a big focus on speaking :s-smilie: They were really keen on showing us all the language lab resources during the open days.

How much literature do you study?
I have no history modules whatsoever, but I have 5 literature ones. It's all a bit overwhelming when you're covering a book every fortnight because you can't explore all the themes in depth and have to resort to using the holidays to do so.

That said, it's all really interesting so I can't complain really.

Sorry to hear that you're not really enjoying your course. Are your tutors friendly/engaging at least?
Reply 5
I understand about being given weird tasks. The writing in the language (beyond translation) is a synthesis exercise where we get a 1000 word article on literary theory and summarise it in 200 words using our own expression. The articles are linked to the books we study but it gets really repetitive.

I was under the impression Bristol had quite a big focus on speaking :s-smilie: They were really keen on showing us all the language lab resources during the open days.

How much literature do you study?
I have no history modules whatsoever, but I have 5 literature ones. It's all a bit overwhelming when you're covering a book every fortnight because you can't explore all the themes in depth and have to resort to using the holidays to do so.

That said, it's all really interesting so I can't complain really.

Sorry to hear that you're not really enjoying your course. Are your tutors friendly/engaging at least?

Well it sounds far more interesting than creative writing!

I'm studying literature in three of my modules at the moment, although it's more of the case that what we are studying in these modules is backed up by literature. Whereas last semester history was the recurring theme, at the moment the emphasis is on literature.

And yes the Multimedia centre at Bristol is certainly impressive - it was one of the factors which made me choose Bristol over my other choices. Yet I think I have needed to use it twice since I have been here, which is a real shame.

My tutors are to be commended, but they can be sometimes a little intimidating as the majority are native German speakers and therefore likely to criticise the pronunciation of every word you say, which has proved tiring. Which languages do you study?
Reply 6
Original post by lowri
Ooh, this is interesting for me as a student who's going to study French and German in September at UCL - provided I get the grades. :s-smilie:

Joint honours students seem to have far more fun :smile:
Hm. *subscribes*
Bleurgh. Mine means I have to stay in halls next year because I'm away for part of the year so no landlord will give me a contract for part of the year. Leeds, y u have stupid course structure? Also not a fan of compulsory attendance at lectures or the fact we're not really learning anything new in the German half of my course. Can't really fault the Italian department though. Also not course related, but the fact I do a year abroad is making me undateable as no guy will even consider it.
All in all, I'd say don't do languages unless you're proper passionate about it.
Reply 9
Original post by such_a_lady
Hm. *subscribes*

Oh, hey there such_a_lady. Fancy seeing you here, eh? :wink:
Wow this is a real eye-opener, Bristol was my firm for 2011 entry and I sometimes wonder what studying there would have been like :daydreaming:

You don't have many contact hours, and writing the biography of someone's life does seem a bit GCSEish, considering at A Level the topics covered were more advanced. You must have the opportunity to give feedback at some point? And you could perhaps raise the issue with your student rep?

Personally, so far so good. I can't believe how much harder this term is than last though. That was mostly just an A Level recap and some cultural stuff (very interesting but nothing too complicated) but now the level expected has gone through the roof. I have less contact hours (25), but more independent work is expected and three of my classes are taught in the language I'm learning (also German :five:). I got a first last semester (77.6%), but am having doubts about even passing this one. I am enjoying the challenge though and finding the course content really interesting :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lowri
Oh, hey there such_a_lady. Fancy seeing you here, eh? :wink:

Hai thar. :hi: UCL the firm, then? :biggrin:
Original post by nickth
Well it sounds far more interesting than creative writing!

Which languages do you study?

I study French :smile: That's a bit annoying about being corrected on pronunciation all the time - I suppose it helps in the long run?

Original post by (:Becca(:
Bleurgh. Mine means I have to stay in halls next year because I'm away for part of the year so no landlord will give me a contract for part of the year. Leeds, y u have stupid course structure? Also not a fan of compulsory attendance at lectures or the fact we're not really learning anything new in the German half of my course. Can't really fault the Italian department though. Also not course related, but the fact I do a year abroad is making me undateable as no guy will even consider it.
All in all, I'd say don't do languages unless you're proper passionate about it.

Do you have to go to Italy in 2nd for ab initio? (I'm guessing this from the fact that ab initio Russian people here have to do their year abroad in 2nd year)

What about the year abroad makes you undateable? :s-smilie: I guess the year apart would be tough.

Aha looking at your sig makes me feel old.

Now you've been through the Oxford application process and are in a position to advise others :')
Reply 14

It is, indeed. Just waiting for the offer to come through UCAS so I can have a bit more of a grip over what I'm actually doing for the next 4 years of my life! Have you firmed Oxford yet?
Original post by (:Becca(:
Also not course related, but the fact I do a year abroad is making me undateable as no guy will even consider it.

Have they said that?!!? LDRs aren't that bad!

Aha looking at your sig makes me feel old.

Now you've been through the Oxford application process and are in a position to advise others :')

The pointless and unfounded worries about hating the course are starting to surface... :tongue:
Original post by lowri
It is, indeed. Just waiting for the offer to come through UCAS so I can have a bit more of a grip over what I'm actually doing for the next 4 years of my life! Have you firmed Oxford yet?

...No....

Durham insurance?
Reply 17
Original post by xmarilynx
Wow this is a real eye-opener, Bristol was my firm for 2011 entry and I sometimes wonder what studying there would have been like :daydreaming:

You don't have many contact hours, and writing the biography of someone's life does seem a bit GCSEish, considering at A Level the topics covered were more advanced. You must have the opportunity to give feedback at some point? And you could perhaps raise the issue with your student rep?

Personally, so far so good. I can't believe how much harder this term is than last though. That was mostly just an A Level recap and some cultural stuff (very interesting but nothing too complicated) but now the level expected has gone through the roof. I have less contact hours (25), but more independent work is expected and three of my classes are taught in the language I'm learning (also German :five:). I got a first last semester (77.6%), but am having doubts about even passing this one. I am enjoying the challenge though and finding the course content really interesting :biggrin:

As a matter of fact I am the first year student rep for German! During the first term meeting, I was speaking on the issue of the online grammar course for 45 minutes of the hour long session, as I had received so many complaints about it! This time, I will undoubtedly be putting forward my views on the topics we are covering in our core language classes...

25 contact hours that is quite astonishing!! Not even those in the science faculties have that many hours at Bristol! Which university are you at?
Reply 18
...No....

Durham insurance?

Mmm, I think so. What's your insurance?
Original post by lowri
Mmm, I think so. What's your insurance?

Same :biggrin: Which college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending