The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomDixie
Aye. I've rang them up twice about it, because we've been told differently via the message.

Both times the woman said only there's only the final adjustment left. Looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing with regards to this!

We could find out something in a few days, if not it'll probably be around the 26th/27th I think.

My FSAC was on the 23rd, 6 weeks ago tomorrow, I feel your pain. This is the last grad scheme I'm still in for too, and the one I've always wanted the most.

That's weird, coz I was told, and I quote '
You may well hear next week otherwise you will need to wait until all the FSAC's have been completed and that is early April.'

That message is from last Tuesday.
Reply 1481
Original post by lovers in japan
That's weird, coz I was told, and I quote '
You may well hear next week otherwise you will need to wait until all the FSAC's have been completed and that is early April.'

That message is from last Tuesday.

Yep, it is.

Message I got on the 22nd when I asked about adjustments:

The next passmark adjustment is due in early march and then again once all the FSAC's have been completed toward the end of March.

Last time I rang them was on Friday.

The last adjustment came through on the Tuesday for everyone, fingers crossed
Original post by TomDixie
Yep, it is.

Message I got on the 22nd when I asked about adjustments:

The next passmark adjustment is due in early march and then again once all the FSAC's have been completed toward the end of March.

Last time I rang them was on Friday.

The last adjustment came through on the Tuesday for everyone, fingers crossed

Hmm well I didn't get any adjustment Tuesday, and my question was only about HoP not DS so hopefully there'll be something tomorrow :smile:
Reply 1483
Original post by lovers in japan
Hmm well I didn't get any adjustment Tuesday, and my question was only about HoP not DS so hopefully there'll be something tomorrow :smile:

I meant the one a few weeks back, they updated on Friday 17th and it all came through on Tues 21st.

I don't think I can make the HoP FSB now anyway, what with still being amber banded for CD
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm so sorry to have been a source of contention on this thread!! I really didn't mean to be. Like lovers in japan said it might be useful for other perspective applicants to have some answers if they came looking, as these concerns are absolutely not personal, but general! For all of you still waiting, I have every set of fingers crossed for you and for those who were unsucessful, perhaps my concerns might even help!!!

I have been offered a masters program in canada with funding -I posted a thread on the main page in careers about the nitty bitty details. But the thing that is stopping me from rejecting it outright and continuining my obsessive watching of the civil service thread is the following: please, please help if you've got anything to offer.

1. The location: According to the website, 1 in 5 civil servants ARENT based in London. With all the love in the world, I've spent all of my life circling London, living in cities like Sheffield, Liverpool, manchester, Cardiff, went to school in south wales, university in Durham, school again in Sussex. I NEED TO LIVE IN LONDON NOW!! This is a massive concern: does anybody know about this? Which central departments are not in London so people who want to be in Lodnon can avoid selecting them?

2. The pay: It says on the website £25k-27. I'm assuming £25k would be if you were in Sheffield or Liverpool or something? Or do people know if wages are based on experience such as having a masters etc?

3. Do we get the chance to move around? Say we were put with the Inland Revenue or something. I mean, unemployment has to be a better option???/!!!!! I know we might grow to love it, but I'm just not certain. Any thoughts on this would be massively appreciated.

And, these are all of my concerns. Thank you so much.
Original post by T-Sizzle
I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent, it does come across as a bit spoilt. I only had my fsac last week and the wait is driving me crazy so I can imagine how you feel! On the other hand, she's not breaking any rules and there is an ignore function as has been pointed out.

Thanks. Spoilt?!! These aren't 'omg, Central Departments Eurgh. Will I have to wear a suit???-It might not match with my new max Mara plimsolls' concerns. These are pretty standard questions. Don't worry, you'll hear soon. I'm posting concerns because my FSAC was a while ago now, I heard quickly and so I am also playing the waiting game because I'm waiting for the DS. GOOD lUCK
Reply 1486
From the facebook page a few days back:

'In terms of location, it depends on where there are roles for faststreamers. I have spent all my time in London, but I have colleagues who haven't spent any time in London, when placing you they will look at your location preferences and do their best to match you to a role in the location you want.'

So if you make it clear that you'd really like London, they should take that into account (whilst not guaranteeing anything, I would imagine).

Also a bit of a while ago there were a few questions along the lines of 'can i do mine outside of london pretty please i dont want to work in the city' and the answers tended to be something indicating relocations were possible and there was a degree of flexibility built-in.

Re pay - the higher amount is almost always for London - an extra bit to mitigate the higher living costs, like the extra student loan London students get.

And I'm sure inland revenue could be fun...you never know :biggrin:
Original post by ellie_flower
I'm so sorry to have been a source of contention on this thread!! I really didn't mean to be. Like lovers in japan said it might be useful for other perspective applicants to have some answers if they came looking, as these concerns are absolutely not personal, but general! For all of you still waiting, I have every set of fingers crossed for you and for those who were unsucessful, perhaps my concerns might even help!!!

I have been offered a masters program in canada with funding -I posted a thread on the main page in careers about the nitty bitty details. But the thing that is stopping me from rejecting it outright and continuining my obsessive watching of the civil service thread is the following: please, please help if you've got anything to offer.

1. The location: According to the website, 1 in 5 civil servants ARENT based in London. With all the love in the world, I've spent all of my life circling London, living in cities like Sheffield, Liverpool, manchester, Cardiff, went to school in south wales, university in Durham, school again in Sussex. I NEED TO LIVE IN LONDON NOW!! This is a massive concern: does anybody know about this? Which central departments are not in London so people who want to be in Lodnon can avoid selecting them?

2. The pay: It says on the website £25k-27. I'm assuming £25k would be if you were in Sheffield or Liverpool or something? Or do people know if wages are based on experience such as having a masters etc?

3. Do we get the chance to move around? Say we were put with the Inland Revenue or something. I mean, unemployment has to be a better option???/!!!!! I know we might grow to love it, but I'm just not certain. Any thoughts on this would be massively appreciated.

But as someone has said this does come across a bit spoilt. All in all, these are: 'I don't want to be geographically mobile, can I be sure I am going to be in London?', 'Will I get the top of the pay bracket?' and 'If I don't like what they assign me can I switch?'. It's just so far from what a lot of people here are going to be thinking right now.
Original post by lm222
From the facebook page a few days back:

'In terms of location, it depends on where there are roles for faststreamers. I have spent all my time in London, but I have colleagues who haven't spent any time in London, when placing you they will look at your location preferences and do their best to match you to a role in the location you want.'

So if you make it clear that you'd really like London, they should take that into account (whilst not guaranteeing anything, I would imagine).

Also a bit of a while ago there were a few questions along the lines of 'can i do mine outside of london pretty please i dont want to work in the city' and the answers tended to be something indicating relocations were possible and there was a degree of flexibility built-in.

Re pay - the higher amount is almost always for London - an extra bit to mitigate the higher living costs, like the extra student loan London students get.

And I'm sure inland revenue could be fun...you never know :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your help! Cant rep you yet as already done so recently, but thank you
Original post by SevenWonders
But as someone has said this does come across a bit spoilt. All in all, these are: 'I don't want to be geographically mobile, can I be sure I am going to be in London?', 'Will I get the top of the pay bracket?' and 'If I don't like what they assign me can I switch?'. It's just so far from what a lot of people here are going to be thinking right now.

No, its absolutely realistic. I'm sorry, but I'm certain more than a few people have applied to other jobs too and are having to compare salaries. That is normal. In terms of being geographically mobile, I have been mobile all my life. My parents lived in tanzania, canada, india and japan and I have been shunted from school to school to country to city to all over the shop.

I'm really keen to settle down now. I want to make sure that I CAN do this and I won't be giving my children the life I had when i was growing up. Whilst interesting, I don't have a base at all. Please, understand this.

Also, I was checking that £27k is for london because I will be living with my partner who will be earning a little more than that and I want to be in an equal relationship in an equal flat.

Now youve questioned my concerns, they are obviouslt personal ones, but I had written them in as general a way as possible!!

I know that a large majority of FSers in the Department of Health are based in Leeds, so I'd avoid that one!
I'm surprised by some of the spoilt comments on here. This is a place to discuss the whole FSAC process and experience - surely that includes someone's concerns?? I am also waiting for my results but don't begrudge someone for being unsure when they have a fantastic opportunity in Canada. Geographical concern is there fr me too as I need to remain in the North West.

Everybody's circumstances are individual so Good Luck Ellie with whatever you decide! Also Good Luck to everyone still waiting let's hope we all hear something today!!!
Original post by shellybean01
I'm surprised by some of the spoilt comments on here. This is a place to discuss the whole FSAC process and experience - surely that includes someone's concerns?? I am also waiting for my results but don't begrudge someone for being unsure when they have a fantastic opportunity in Canada. Geographical concern is there fr me too as I need to remain in the North West.

Everybody's circumstances are individual so Good Luck Ellie with whatever you decide! Also Good Luck to everyone still waiting let's hope we all hear something today!!!

Thank you so much. I didnt mean to offend anyone! And good luck with yoru results! Hopefully it'll be today!!
Reply 1493

I had my FSAC on 12th Jan and have had an excruciating wait, checking the website almost every working day since. I really want this position as I'm positive its the one for me, but like shelley I too need to be based in the North West (for my first placement at least). This is for very personal but also completely understandable reasons, does that make me selfish because theres a chance I might not be able to accept whilst other people are waiting also?
I have a young baby and my partner and I have a great network of family and friends which has enabled us to carry on working full time, whilst I would be happy to relocate in the future it would be too much to change careers and relocate with the baby so young.

I don't begrudge Ellie her personal concerns because everybody has different needs and concerns. In terms of the location Ellie, I think the vast majority of positions are based in London and I can't see why there would be any reason you can't be located there, especially if you stated this is where you would like in your application. I think the pay difference is more to do with departments but I'm sure there will be some London-weighting as thats the same for every company. Also, you may be best to think long-term in that the training for Fast Stream will stand you in good stead for any future job you want including the higher pay scales. The impression I had of moving departments was that they encouraged it after your first 18 month placement so that you have a wider range of experience.

Only you know what you really want and the Masters sounds like a great opportunity. Me personally I would choose the Fast stream as I think in the overall picture this experience would add to my future career potential more than a Masters, but thats just my opinion. x
Just got another message saying might hear by the 'end of the week' grrrr
I got a message Friday past there saying "You may receive your results next week if not late March/early April"

I had my FSAC last Tuesday so hopefully hear soon the F5 button on my laptop is going to be worn out by the end of this!
well my FSAC was only wednesday, and it changed to awaiting results on friday/saturday (i think) so I'm hoping to hear back today regardless :P or at least confirm if I'm amber banded!

What about yourself canary_girl, any word back yet?
Original post by piemuncher3
well my FSAC was only wednesday, and it changed to awaiting results on friday/saturday (i think) so I'm hoping to hear back today regardless :P or at least confirm if I'm amber banded!

Hi! I had my FSAC last Tuesday. Can I just ask what you mean by 'confirm if I'm amber banded'? Do you mean that if we don't hear back today or tomorrow (as seems to be the general consensus for the next round of results based on this thread) you think our amber banding will be confirmed? I would have thought there was no way to tell simply because your status will just stay as 'awaiting results' and the message on the home page says this only means you're amber-banded if it stays the same for at least a week.

....unless I've missed something!!
Original post by piemuncher3

My FSAC was last week too and also changed to awaiting results on Friday (I was waiting on that change to claim my expenses as soon as possible!) but I'm not sure we'll be able to establish whether we're amber-banded or not today.

Those candidates who have attended this event in the past week will not see any change in their Scheme Progress or an additional link to claim Expenses until the marks are received by the Fast Stream Team. Generally this will happen at the end of each week of FSACs (Friday afternoons or possibly Monday mornings). If you are still at a status of "Awaiting Results” for more than a week after attending FSAC, you possibly may not get your result until pass marks are reviewed in February or March. FSAC feedback reports will be made available online by early April. Message dated 01/02/2012.

That seems to be saying if you haven't heard within a week after FSAC you are not in the immediate pass/fail group. So, if your FSAC was on Wednesday you won't know until mid-week whether or not you are definitely amber-banded.
could well be right, I'm just putting my hopes on the 'monday mornings' bit :smile:

luckily theyve texted me every time so far when my status updates, so I don't need to sit and f5 it constantly ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending