Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which should I read first?!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Today I got 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini and 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro. Which one should I read first? I can't decide at all!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say start with Kite Runner - then go on with Thousand Splendid Suns and then Never Let Me Go...
    These are great books, my favourite is A Thousand Splendid Suns, though. I like Hosseini's style.
    Prepare for an emotional-rollercoaster - they are very well written. Good choice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay! Heard good things about all three of them. Any other books you'd recommend? Got a fair amount of money left from my birthday and you can never have too many books!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindchen)
    I'd say start with Kite Runner - then go on with Thousand Splendid Suns and then Never Let Me Go...
    These are great books, my favourite is A Thousand Splendid Suns, though. I like Hosseini's style.
    Prepare for an emotional-rollercoaster - they are very well written. Good choice.
    I love Hosseini, and the culture he brings with him. To me, it seems quite a controversial culture in the UK, and he writes about it with a) passion, and b) knowledge, and it makes it really readable. The stories he tells are brilliant too, as well as his style. I forgot that I'd read A Thousand Splendid Suns, I might re-read it over Easter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youjustburnkid)
    Okay! Heard good things about all three of them. Any other books you'd recommend? Got a fair amount of money left from my birthday and you can never have too many books!
    Well, it depends on what kind of books you like and normally read. What's your favourite genre, author, book?
    I quite like John Green, who writes YA-fiction, so that's not something for everyone...
    I also loved 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak, which I would definitely recommend!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Kite Runner then A Thousand Splendid Suns and then Never Let Me Go last.

Never Let Me Go is a bit hit or miss though; you might like it, you might not, so don't pay too much attention to reviews. I personally thought the style of writing was quite hard to get into (it's not beautifully written imo, although I'm sure many will disagree) and I felt that while Ishiguro had a good idea in mind, it was poorly executed. I don't know, you might be able to see past these things (I can't ) and enjoy it - just a bit of an alternative view on it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Went with what everyone has said and started with The Kite Runner! Fifty pages in and it's already brilliant
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd even dare to say you will love 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', then

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.