The Student Room Group

Computing pre-release material AQA A

Hi,

I am taking the AQA A AS Comp1 exam in May and we have been given the pre-release material. So I made this thread so we could discuss the possible questions that could come up so feel free to discuss questions!

Ali

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will have a look for you, think I'm also taking this unit lol

kool thread
Reply 2
first problem. you can walk left off the edge of the board or up off the top of it. if you go off the right or the bottom, it crashes. index out of range. clearly needs validation.
Reply 3
What language are you using, im using python.
Reply 4
Python v3 here. Not seen a comp 1 paper with classes before. Interesting.
Reply 5
I'm using Pascal for this exam, not Python

Original post by mister c
first problem. you can walk left off the edge of the board or up off the top of it. if you go off the right or the bottom, it crashes. index out of range. clearly needs validation.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well - good point. Thanks,
Reply 6
Original post by Sef
Will have a look for you, think I'm also taking this unit lol

kool thread

Cool comment
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mister c
Python v3 here. Not seen a comp 1 paper with classes before. Interesting.

can you attach the file?
Reply 8
I'm using VB.NET. Also, has anyone actually won?
Reply 9
So far I have...

The player can move off the grid - needs some validation for <1 and more than the upper bounds. Get an error otherwise - outside bounds of array. 0 issue will be VB, but would still need catching.

Load from file - crashes if file doesn't exist.

Menu options - crashes if you enter invalid data.

Case issue - e.g. N and n are not the same when making a move.

Trap numbers - constant at the top of the code but hard coded around line 300ish so I suspect an increase on the number of traps will be needed.

GetMenuChoice - not validated.

Probably usual stuff - expand the size of the grid.

And yes it is possible to win. I have found the flask a few times.

Can anyone else share anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Suspect something being added to the main menu? Can't think of what though? High Scores based on number of moves?

Any suggestions?
Reply 11
Can anyone please upload the python 3.1 prerelease material, please? I'm the only person in my school who does computing and I haven't been given it yet >.<

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 12
Can't seem to be able to work out any answers that carry complex marks? Last year (I am resitting), they had a massive 10 mark question to do a write to file sub. Can't seem to see anything that will be a major coding task?

They have structures within structures - kind of classes in the code (inheritance ish), but didn't think that was on the AS course???
Reply 13
Original post by jsmith1299
Can't seem to be able to work out any answers that carry complex marks? Last year (I am resitting), they had a massive 10 mark question to do a write to file sub. Can't seem to see anything that will be a major coding task?

One of the past papers (with the 0's and X's) involved expanding the grid for the game to work. They could possibly ask this year to expand or shrink it or something along those lines, which would need a few alterations to the code to do it.
Reply 14
Original post by 101101
What language are you using, im using python.

Do you have a copy of the prerelease material you'd be able to give to me, please? :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by ElMoro
Do you have a copy of the prerelease material you'd be able to give to me, please? :colondollar:

Yeah sure.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 101101
Yeah sure.

Are you going to upload it here or would you like my email? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ElMoro
Are you going to upload it here or would you like my email? :smile:

Look above, i couldnt upload the file so just copy and paste.
Anyone doing this exam in Java? :colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by 101101
Look above, i couldnt upload the file so just copy and paste.

Thank you so much! :biggrin: :biggrin: Do you also have the pdf instructions, aswell? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending