The Student Room Group

Sell my personal statement?

This may be a very stupid question but I was wondering if there are companies that will buy your personal statement, I got 4 interviews and I have 3 offers. I know I bought a book of personal statements.

I know it is random but I have a few plans for a gap summer and could do with making some money!

Hope this doesn't sound too ridiculous!
Reply 1
Why not do the good thing and post it on the personal statement wiki on TSR for others to gain inspiration?

Yours won't necessarily work for anyone else, as it's personalised to you - your strengths, your experiences.

A valuation of a single PS, whether it's worked for you or not? Pennies. Hundreds are available for free.

As soon as I firm, I'll be uploading mine here for others.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by islanders
Why not do the good thing and post it on the personal statement wiki on TSR for others to gain inspiration?

Yours won't necessarily work for anyone else, as it's personalised to you - your strengths, your experiences.

A valuation of a single PS, whether it's worked for you or not? Pennies. Hundreds are available for free.

As soon as I firm, I'll be uploading mine here for others.

Good post, but we don't accept statements on the wiki until after you've started at the uni - just in case you miss the grades etc and end up using bits of it when you reapply. And that's generally a blanket rule even if you have an unconditional offer :smile:
Reply 3
I can appreciate where you are coming from but I think you are too harsh, the only reason I ask is because I need the money, i'm going abroad to do charity work which is self funded.As for your suggestion of course I would consider that,but again it was purely to fund charity work not some sort of selfish gain. I know there are books out there and I bought one full of personal statements I just wondered if there were any oppurtunities to do the same.

I'd also like to add that I ddi not know people could upload personal statements on here until you mentioned it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
It wouldn't matter what the reasons are for selling your PS, it's your work and if someone is willing to pay for it, they will.

Whether society (especially the healthcare community) sees that as wrong is upto them, but they can always just do the most obvious thing and not buy your statement from you.

If you think it's worth a pound, it's worth a pound. If you think it's worth £24329898434 then it's worth £2432989434.

Looking at it logically, you've probably tailored your PS to your skills, experiences and manipulated the content to catch the eye of the particular medical schools you've chosen to apply to, so you've immediately limited your audience down to just the people who share your experiences, your interests and the five or so universities you've chosen.

I can't imagine you'd get much for it, not when there are registered companies who charge £30-60 to write one for you online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending