The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is the gay scene like at Durham?

Hey,

I'm making my final uni decisions for 2012 entry and don't know whether to pick St Andrews or Durham. I love them both equally academically and socially, but don't know which one has a better gay scene. I know they're both quite quiet places so I am really unsure. I'm not making my final decision on which has a more liberal scene but it is a contributing factor for me...!

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Thank you!

Mikey
Reply 1
You're going to spend 99.9% of your time surrounded by other students which will typically be quite liberal and open minded anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I can't comment on St Andrews but if you want a more lively time in Durham you can always go to Newcastle for a night out which is somewhat nearby and has a raging bumming scene.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
There is a guy sitting beside me in the computer room who is slightly camp I think, I'm in Durham.
Reply 3
Original post by spocckka
There is a guy sitting beside me in the computer room who is slightly camp I think, I'm in Durham.

:rofl:
Reply 4
Original post by Spungo
You're going to spend 99.9% of your time surrounded by other students which will typically be quite liberal and open minded anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I can't comment on St Andrews but if you want a more lively time in Durham you can always go to Newcastle for a night out which is somewhat nearby and has a raging bumming scene.

Hahaha, 'raging bumming scene'!

Cheers for the help,

M
Reply 5
I don't think there are as many good gay bars in St Andrews and a city near by. At least in Durham you can get to one in half an hour or so by hopping on a train to Newcastle (15min train journey away)
Reply 6
Worth asking the Durham LGBT thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1918113

Original post by Mikey1994
Hahaha, 'raging bumming scene'!

Cheers for the help,

M
Thread of the day

Quick Reply