The Student Room Group

Good Unis for GEOLOGY?

Hello :smile:

Straight to the point im on a gap year and have my A2 results

A - Geography
B - Business
C - Biology (Resitting in Jan)

Im applying for UCAS and so far have put Uni of Bham, Royal Holloway and Uni of Leicester down with 2 more choices.

Any recommendations? Plus for any Geology uni students for the three uni's stated above how is the course and life there? Please fill me in.

Many Thanks

:colondollar:
Reply 1
hello im also applying for geology -good choise :biggrin: (applying to leicester and birmingham also) Ive also put down exeter. An amazing, beautiful place and has brilliant and I mean brilliant prospects for jobs, thats in the mining sector, geotechnics and hydrogeology) http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/mining/mining/entry/ (AAB-BBB) they also do an applied geology degree which may be worth considering. The other point is they dont really do paleotology, thought id pout that in if your doing biology :tongue: If you have any more questions just ask me as Ive gone to open and I have a friend who has gone through the degree.

Ive heard good things about Cardiff and Leeds but I havent applied there so I dont know.

Hope Im of some help.
Original post by Morkike
hello im also applying for geology -good choise :biggrin: (applying to leicester and birmingham also) Ive also put down exeter. An amazing, beautiful place and has brilliant and I mean brilliant prospects for jobs, thats in the mining sector, geotechnics and hydrogeology) http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/mining/mining/entry/ (AAB-BBB) they also do an applied geology degree which may be worth considering. The other point is they dont really do paleotology, thought id pout that in if your doing biology :tongue: If you have any more questions just ask me as Ive gone to open and I have a friend who has gone through the degree.

Ive heard good things about Cardiff and Leeds but I havent applied there so I dont know.

Hope Im of some help.

Cheers, i'll defiantly have a look into Exeter :smile:
Original post by Morkike

Hope Im of some help.

Btw, what course are you applying for at Bham? Leic like Bsci or Msci?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 4
My old head teacher went to Imperial for Geology...It was a while back so I don't know if they still offer the course but it's likely that they do, so it's worth taking a look :smile:
Reply 5
Imperial do offer the degree. I think i will apply for Msc and then change to Bsc if need be and if I want to do a Msc else where. Because Im interested in the Hydrogeology Msc at Birmingham so... only worth ding a bsc at the other uni :smile:
Yeah same i really want to do a Msc in Petroleum although the industry is fading. I'd be happy to have a career anywhere in Geology tbh :smile:
Reply 7
Petroleum geologists are still needed, its all about supply and demand and the job of a petroleum scientist is to increase supply and as population is increasing countries like India and China mainly will be desperate for the oil. I hope to go to CSM (exeter) to do mining and minerals and there are still plenty of jobs there as a mining engineer. Infact, the course there has second highest employment after Imperial which is saying alot. Loads of jobs are else where - interested in Hydrogeology and Geotechnics personally (Mathsy guy :tongue:) I wouldnt be Too worried. If you achieve a high 2:1 from a respected uni for geology then it will take you where you want :smile:
Original post by Morkike
Petroleum geologists are still needed, its all about supply and demand and the job of a petroleum scientist is to increase supply and as population is increasing countries like India and China mainly will be desperate for the oil. I hope to go to CSM (exeter) to do mining and minerals and there are still plenty of jobs there as a mining engineer. Infact, the course there has second highest employment after Imperial which is saying alot. Loads of jobs are else where - interested in Hydrogeology and Geotechnics personally (Mathsy guy :tongue:) I wouldnt be Too worried. If you achieve a high 2:1 from a respected uni for geology then it will take you where you want :smile:

Thanks, I seem really hellbent on going Bham but ill be sure when i go see the Uni's come 2012 if i get the offers :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
Yeah same i really want to do a Msc in Petroleum although the industry is fading. I'd be happy to have a career anywhere in Geology tbh :smile:

I think Aberdeen has an excellent petroleum geology course, plus it's location next to the UK's oil capital is always a bonus :biggrin:

I want to do geology next year, I'm applying for Manchester, Imperial, Cardiff and deciding between Liverpool and Birmingham with Keele as my insurance choice. Ideally I'd like Manchester or Imperial.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
If you're considering Scotland, I recommed Aberdeen. The Geology & Petroleum Geology degree is very good, and if Petroleum wasn't your thing, could do Geology by itself. There's plenty lab time, and various fieldwork all over Scotland which is a highlight for many (just got back from the Isle of Skye, Helmsdale and Thurso). With being in the oil capital, there's plenty networking oppotunites - the uni hosts regular events for you to go along and speak to compaines, or recent graduates to hear experience's etc. Would be happy to answer questions if anyone had any queires about geology at Aberdeen, or wanted to know more. :smile:

Hey what unis did you end up applying to/choosing in the end? (:
Original post by Irlandesmith
Hey what unis did you end up applying to/choosing in the end? (:

Bham x2
Southampton
Leicester
R.Holloway

Last year i also applied to UCL and Manchester

Most likely going to Bham :smile: Wbu?
Bham x2
Southampton
Leicester
R.Holloway

Last year i also applied to UCL and Manchester

Most likely going to Bham :smile: Wbu?

Oh awesome sounds good! Umm Leicester, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, and keele! (:
Almost definitely going to Leicester (:
Original post by Irlandesmith
Oh awesome sounds good! Umm Leicester, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, and keele! (:
Almost definitely going to Leicester (:

Ah nice :smile: Can I ask why you preferred to go Leic over the others? :smile: Thanks
Ah nice :smile: Can I ask why you preferred to go Leic over the others? :smile: Thanks

Yeah, we'll I just thought it felt right, like there was a really close knit community feel on campus, it was big but not too big, the department was so lovely and friendly, the city looks very interesting and exciting, the accommodation looked really nice, big and friendly, and I do sport regularly so the building of the new sports centre I thought was really good :smile:
Hope this helps (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending