The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by IlexAquifolium
As did I. Although more people should defame their girlfriends in gogsoc, it's funny.

Me too. It seems none of us (except Craggy?) would have known Corinna was being defamed if she hadn't told us :bigsmile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm sure they've mentioned it before but it seems i was the only one paying attention...
Lol @ ilex
Original post by Athena
All you need is the print out :smile:

Did I somehow miss that you two are a couple?! :lolwut:

thank you! I don't know why he thinks I am retarded....

yeah, that's the big revelation for today :tongue:
I somehow knew, though I only figured it out a few weeks ago :ninja:
Reply 1344
As did I. Although more people should defame their girlfriends in gogsoc, it's funny.

You tend to pay for it later...

:innocent:
What do males secrete? Basically trying to explain my interview strategy to someone and I lack the technical vocabulary. I turn up commando so my scent overpowers whoever I'm interviewing and they know that I'm dominant and give me the job/scholarship. What am I secreting? pheromones?

Also have grown a beard especially for this interview. The combination should be overwhelming. If I can find a way to show off my chest hair I can probably get a fellowship out of it.
Reply 1346
Original post by The Lyceum
Also have grown a beard especially for this interview.

So here's something I'm curious about: are classicists who focus on Greek more likely to have beards than those who focus on Latin? I vaguely remember being told that the Romans themselves weren't so keen on beards, so...
I was told by a psychologist that you shouldn't wear perfume to job interviews (especially not if it's cheap) because they will then form a subconscious judgment of you based on whether or not they like your perfume. I don't know whether man-smell falls into that category, but I would be wary of trying to batter their noses with your crotch. This plan could backfire.
Reply 1348
Original post by The Lyceum
What do males secrete? Basically trying to explain my interview strategy to someone and I lack the technical vocabulary. I turn up commando so my scent overpowers whoever I'm interviewing and they know that I'm dominant and give me the job/scholarship. What am I secreting? pheromones?

Also have grown a beard especially for this interview. The combination should be overwhelming. If I can find a way to show off my chest hair I can probably get a fellowship out of it.

:toofunny:

I was told by a psychologist that you shouldn't wear perfume to job interviews (especially not if it's cheap) because they will then form a subconscious judgment of you based on whether or not they like your perfume. I don't know whether man-smell falls into that category, but I would be wary of trying to batter their noses with your crotch. This plan could backfire.

:rofl:

Ah, I'm enjoying GOGsoc this evening :hahaha:

I have read this too - if nothing else, you run a risk that it might remind the interviewier of an ex they're not too fond of who used the same scent. Better to stick to the tried and tested methods.
****ing hell. Just read an essay through coursework.info - no idea what institution it's originally from - that I would barely have given a 2.2, which the submitter claims got a first. It's literally 50% quotes. All properly referenced and whatnot, but how can you give a first to an essay where half the words aren't the student's?? I mean, the stuff in it's really good, but you would expect it to be, given that it was written by some of the foremost names in the field.
****ing hell. Just read an essay through coursework.info - no idea what institution it's originally from - that I would barely have given a 2.2, which the submitter claims got a first. It's literally 50% quotes. All properly referenced and whatnot, but how can you give a first to an essay where half the words aren't the student's?? I mean, the stuff in it's really good, but you would expect it to be, given that it was written by some of the foremost names in the field.

I only got a first on one or two of my essays at UG so I distinctly remember it was for some original point that my caffeined mind had induced at 3am. Maybe its all getting easier now like gcse and a levels *feels old*
Alternatively, the submitter is just bull****ting and obv there's no way to verify.
Original post by Socrates
I only got a first on one or two of my essays at UG so I distinctly remember it was for some original point that my caffeined mind had induced at 3am. Maybe its all getting easier now like gcse and a levels *feels old*

Yeah all the essays I got 1sts on I remember sitting trawling through the original texts trying to think of something original/unusual to say. My favourite, and highest mark, was when I managed to somehow make large parts of a text seem like analogies for Jesus...

Ahhh university :moon:
Reply 1354
Original post by Becca
Yeah all the essays I got 1sts on I remember sitting trawling through the original texts trying to think of something original/unusual to say. My favourite, and highest mark, was when I managed to somehow make large parts of a text seem like analogies for Jesus...

Ahhh university :moon:

In a film seminar I did some years ago, someone gave a presentation on 'Robocop as a Christ Figure'. And it was actually a pretty good presentation.:biggrin:
Reply 1355
I'm revising for a paleography exam tomorrow.

It's probably tempting fate to say this, but I hope this is the last exam I ever have to sit.
Getting firsts was consistently difficult during my UG and there were times I just wanted to give up...In second year Latin I kept on the cusp (67/8) even though I ended up getting 81 overall for it (highest ever in dept).

Third year Latin was also the same, but I think that was because the professor was just the way he was. He had a good approach though and I'll forever benefit from his tuition. In general in my third year I managed to get a few firsts: I just had to quit my sports and rarely see my friends. Not sure it's worth it in the long run....people are impressed with my mark sure, but for most programmes a 74 isn't any better than a 60 or, in Oxford's case, a 67. So...

Cambridge interview went ok btw guys. :smile:
The only mark I got that wasn't a first was because the external examiner penalised me 20 marks for 'not respecting the remit' (essay on Mallarme for French Naturalism course). Fat lot of good it's doing me now though. I guess it did help with getting funding, but on the other side it doesn't really matter much at all in comparison to conferencing, neworking, and generally believing in all this bullcrap.
Original post by the_alba
The only mark I got that wasn't a first was because the external examiner penalised me 20 marks for 'not respecting the remit' (essay on Mallarme for French Naturalism course). Fat lot of good it's doing me now though. I guess it did help with getting funding, but on the other side it doesn't really matter much at all in comparison to conferencing, neworking, and generally believing in all this bullcrap.

I know. I really regret not going to all these ****ty little conferences Ox has a million of, and failing at networking. I literally thought I'd be judged solely on the quality of my work. In general....it has not been the case. In general studying at Oxford has been a gigantic eye opener to certain things.

You do get that warm feeling though, of really knowing your subject, don't you?

Latest