The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desijut
Problem is.. when is the line drawn for when your form goes? I will go back to the rows, just not yet, im having tons more fun with power cleans lol.

When you feel you're moving too much?

After a reset you'll work through that point and it'll start to slip again a bit heavier, etc.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Was his opener the issue? I thought the issue was his 2nd/3rd lift. In any case, I think it's just ego right? He's a bit crazy as well and I doubt he'd ever want to go lower.

Also, what about the first guy to squat 1000lbs? That was amazing. First time he passes out. He tries again. Most people would stop right there. Second time the clip comes off and the bar flips. The few who would even try it again would probably stop now as it must seem like fate not to get it. Only a madman would try it for a 3rd time - and smoke it.

Haven't watched it for ages but I'm 99% sure it said he bombed. Hence missed openers.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
I'm 90kg lean (6ft 4) but still not even close to a BW squat after 3 months of lifting (Probably atleast 25 squat sessions too). Am I just being a pussy and should I be more aggressive or what? Heard people say you should be able to walk into a gym untrained and squat BW :s

Being 6ft 4 that will be a lot tougher. Just ignore manlets they're pointless people.
I'm 90kg lean (6ft 4) but still not even close to a BW squat after 3 months of lifting (Probably atleast 25 squat sessions too). Am I just being a pussy and should I be more aggressive or what? Heard people say you should be able to walk into a gym untrained and squat BW :s

Everyone's different, depends what you start at, and so on. Plenty of folks can't squat BW when they are untrained. Are you making progress? That's all that really matters.

Try doing a set structure of sets and reps that you are comfortable with, then keep adding weight every session? I.e something like SS. If you're following something like this, then maybe your increments are too much?
When I first started doing squats I did 40kg for 3x5. I was like 65kg then.

Being taller would make it somewhat harder. Incorrect technique would also add to the problem. Also, by weighing more it's gonna be harder to hit BW as it's a higher number.

Just keep at it. I'd look at your technique though.
Ed Coan does such heavy pushdowns that he needs two guys to step on his toes so he doesn't go flying up.

Damn!
Original post by mituozo
When you feel you're moving too much?

After a reset you'll work through that point and it'll start to slip again a bit heavier, etc.

Fair enough, i will get back to them, just not yet
Original post by RawJoh1
Everyone's different, depends what you start at, and so on. Plenty of folks can't squat BW when they are untrained. Are you making progress? That's all that really matters.

Original post by desijut
Try doing a set structure of sets and reps that you are comfortable with, then keep adding weight every session? I.e something like SS. If you're following something like this, then maybe your increments are too much?

Aye started out barely being able to squat 40kg 3x5 so 80kg 3x5 is obviously a decent improvement. It's just I see tiny people squatting more and wonder whether I just have a low pain threshold. The upside is my legs have absolutely ballooned and I have 25 inch quads now (Apparently that's over average), just feels like I'm cheating having mass but no strength to back it up.

I'll try and get my form videod though. A fella in the gym once saw it and told me the only problem was going up on my toes so presumably no glaring issues. With very tight hip flexors/hammies I reckon I butt wink a little though.
Aye started out barely being able to squat 40kg 3x5 so 80kg 3x5 is obviously a decent improvement. It's just I see tiny people squatting more and wonder whether I just have a low pain threshold. The upside is my legs have absolutely ballooned and I have 25 inch quads now (Apparently that's over average), just feels like I'm cheating having mass but no strength to back it up.

I'll try and get my form videod though. A fella in the gym once saw it and told me the only problem was going up on my toes so presumably no glaring issues. With very tight hip flexors/hammies I reckon I butt wink a little though.

When you squat do your hamstrings/glutes feel worked? Sounds like a form issue if it's only your quads working
Reply 9070

How many times have you tried and failed it? I found when I started lifting I had to break my body in when it came to pushing it, so just tried heavy weights until I couldnt lift them up/get out of the hole etc. Then I knew where I could actually push myself to - and how I felt when I was going to fail.

Lots of people push themselves till they feel they're gonna fail but don't - then constantly underperform.
(edited 12 years ago)
90 kg lean at 6'4 just means skinny. Be more aggressive with both your squatting and weight gain.
Original post by The Troll Toll
90 kg lean at 6'4 just means skinny. Be more aggressive with both your squatting and weight gain.

How's the training going?
****ing Milan.

Only team that I can still be worried about losing when they are 4-0 up.
^lol, i'm an arsenal fan, but halfway through the second half i had a gut feeling we werent gonna do it :frown:

Second half was boring
Original post by desijut
^lol, i'm an arsenal fan, but halfway through the second half i had a gut feeling we werent gonna do it :frown:

Second half was boring

I was at the gym and forgot they were playing.

See a missed call from my dad. Call him back and he tells me it's 3-0. I wasn't even surprised. AC Milan have a history of doing this - 3-0 up against Liverpool to lose the final, 4-1 up against Deportivo and went on to lose 4-0 second leg.
Original post by Smack
How's the training going?

It's so-so. I think I've lost a bit of weight and leaned down a bit, but I haven't lost loads of strength. I squatted 150x8 today after push pressing, which I can do about 105 on probably. I'm not sure what I deadlift. I haven't made any real progress in quite a long while, mostly because I haven't really been trying that hard. I want to put a bit more effort into it in the next few months because it's a bit lame that I'm probably weaker than I was a year ago.
Tried to get two DL PBs in one week. Bailed it halfway through and destroyed myself in the process.

feelsbadman.jpeg

Nearly at 2x bodyweight lift tho, everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpeg
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Troll Toll
It's so-so. I think I've lost a bit of weight and leaned down a bit, but I haven't lost loads of strength. I squatted 150x8 today after push pressing, which I can do about 105 on probably. I'm not sure what I deadlift. I haven't made any real progress in quite a long while, mostly because I haven't really been trying that hard. I want to put a bit more effort into it in the next few months because it's a bit lame that I'm probably weaker than I was a year ago.

I know that feeling. It's easy to not try hard when you're just doing your own thing. Which is why I hopped back on Starting Strength a few months ago, because it forces you to try hard. Been setting PRs in just about everything recently.
"...And let me tell you, it is important to have fun in life, of course. But when you're out there partying, horsing around, someone out there at the same time is working hard. Someone is getting smarter and someone is winning. Just remember that." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

You either want it hard enough or you don't. I don't really see doing your own thing as an excuse. As long as you are doing better than last time it's all good.

Latest