The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5920
Original post by Ronda
A manager at my work has recently left, and my BM has offered me the place. There is another crew trainer at work though who is kind of expecting to get the place. Last year, my old BM had put through a bunch of people for manager interviews, and he was one of them but didn't get it at the time. So now he's expecting to get it and keeps bugging my BM who keeps saying excuses and stuff to him. I just feel kinda bad, cause I know he's not going to get it for a while and he keeps moaning to me about wanting it and knowing I can't really say anything cause it's not my place really. Baaaah.

It's an awkward situation but nothing you can really do, it's not you who makes the decision and there is obviously a reason he hasn't got it yet.

One of the managers said I should go on the next floor managers course (does anywhere else even have floor managers?), and I'm not sure. There's no payrise for me, as I'm on £1.06 more than a 18yo FM would get, and it is more responsibility, and I think maybe I should just focus on uni. But then, it would be good for the CV and they do pay me more than everyone else (transferred in on £6.56 as I am a crew trainer at my other store) so maybe I should go for it.
Realising you looked at the time wrong and managed to ring in the middle of gap for a schedule issue :/ Ideas on how to make me not look like an idiot when I ring back later on?? (Short story, new BM has scheduled me to start when I'm at college on Friday so it really needs sorting, I tried ringing yesterday but no one picked up and the only other time I'm free is during gap) I already feel naff cos I hate ringing the store anyway...
Reply 5922
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Realising you looked at the time wrong and managed to ring in the middle of gap for a schedule issue :/ Ideas on how to make me not look like an idiot when I ring back later on?? (Short story, new BM has scheduled me to start when I'm at college on Friday so it really needs sorting, I tried ringing yesterday but no one picked up and the only other time I'm free is during gap) I already feel naff cos I hate ringing the store anyway...

Did they actually answer? If they didn't I doubt they would of done 1471 to see it was you who called. So can just pretend it's your first time ringing. :wink:

If it's outside your availability it shouldn't be a problem, just phone up let them know you won't be able to start until a bit later. My scheduling manager is pretty cool with requests/changes, especially if it's his mistake.
Original post by tm00131
Did they actually answer? If they didn't I doubt they would of done 1471 to see it was you who called. So can just pretend it's your first time ringing. :wink:

If it's outside your availability it shouldn't be a problem, just phone up let them know you won't be able to start until a bit later. My scheduling manager is pretty cool with requests/changes, especially if it's his mistake.

Yeah they did answer, that's the issue, I feel really daft, but it wasn't until she said and I looked at the clock again that I realised...oops

Hopefully, I've just not met new BM yet so I feel really awkward but it sorta has to be done!! Least I know the manager who's shift it is, she got it sorted for me last time :smile:

EDIT: I rang, she said just come in for five, yay :smile: thank God that's over...I am so bad at phonecalls!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5924
Original post by tm00131
It's an awkward situation but nothing you can really do, it's not you who makes the decision and there is obviously a reason he hasn't got it yet.

One of the managers said I should go on the next floor managers course (does anywhere else even have floor managers?), and I'm not sure. There's no payrise for me, as I'm on £1.06 more than a 18yo FM would get, and it is more responsibility, and I think maybe I should just focus on uni. But then, it would be good for the CV and they do pay me more than everyone else (transferred in on £6.56 as I am a crew trainer at my other store) so maybe I should go for it.

I know. It's just I kinda get on with him out of work, just feel a bit sorry for him cause I know he will not be happy when he finds out!

I've never come across a floor manager in the 3 1/2 years I've been working here! Apparently there's not been one in my store for years. Didn't think anywhere still had them either! I wouldn't do it if it's just cause you feel you have to because you're being paid more than other crew trainers. Do it if you want the experience of taking on more responsibility in the work place, but if you feel it'd get in the way of uni stuff then you'd need to think hard about it. No point getting stressed in (what I'm assuming is) a temporary job for you, if it's going to get in the way of you doing what you're wanting to in uni. The decision is yours in the end though :smile:

Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Yeah they did answer, that's the issue, I feel really daft, but it wasn't until she said and I looked at the clock again that I realised...oops

Hopefully, I've just not met new BM yet so I feel really awkward but it sorta has to be done!! Least I know the manager who's shift it is, she got it sorted for me last time :smile:

EDIT: I rang, she said just come in for five, yay :smile: thank God that's over...I am so bad at phonecalls!!!

That's good you got it sorted! I know how you feel re phone calls. I hate them. If I ever need to phone in, I sit next to the phone with the number dialled for ages, waiting till I get the nerve to push the call button! Hate hate hate hate phoning people.
I've tried to call 4/5 times to schedule my welcome meeting, and got told to call back tomorrow as the manager isn't in, or the managers too busy at the moment call back tomorrow, or they'll call you back but never did, then to be spoken to very rudely on the phone today.

I think they put me on hold and walked away from the phone too. Very disappointed and appalled at how I was dealt with. :frown:
Reply 5926
Original post by Ronda
I know. It's just I kinda get on with him out of work, just feel a bit sorry for him cause I know he will not be happy when he finds out!

I've never come across a floor manager in the 3 1/2 years I've been working here! Apparently there's not been one in my store for years. Didn't think anywhere still had them either! I wouldn't do it if it's just cause you feel you have to because you're being paid more than other crew trainers. Do it if you want the experience of taking on more responsibility in the work place, but if you feel it'd get in the way of uni stuff then you'd need to think hard about it. No point getting stressed in (what I'm assuming is) a temporary job for you, if it's going to get in the way of you doing what you're wanting to in uni. The decision is yours in the end though :smile:

I didn't think anywhere did either until I started here. We don't have crew trainers here, it goes crew member then floor manager and then shift manager. It seems like the floor management course is done by the franchise group rather than McDonald's (as I guess it would of been done when FMs were in every store) and you have to do the crew trainer programme to go on it (even though we don't have crew trainers). Very strange system, not really sure why they have it like this. I guess as I have the CT certificate and everything, I am technically a crew trainer, even if I don't do any CT stuff, making me quite a unique employee here. :biggrin:

I think when the next lot FM course comes around and the BM does interviews, I'll be able to ask questions and get an idea of if it would be too much with uni.

On the another note, I think we do PRs differently here. They are done in January and July with the payrise ones in January. I thought March and September with the payrise one in September, was the norm?

Has meant my pay has gone from £4.46 to £6.56 in 10 months though! Went from £4.46 to £4.94 when I turned 18, £4.94 to £6.15 with CT promtion, £6.15 to £6.37 with September payrise then I got a payrise in January based on the PR I had at my home store in September taking me to £6.56 (don't know why they didn't do a PR on me and just used my previous one).
Reply 5927
Hey guys, I worked at Maccy's for over a year and want to leave for a new summer job. But first.

One job I'm looking at, it says 'Previous experience of working within a busy kitchen/catering environment is preferred along with a Food Safety level 2 certificate or similar'.

Obviously Maccys is busy and high pressured. But for the second part, I have the food safety orientation thing, is that the equivalent?

I also have the apprenticeship (NVQ level 2 in Catering and Hospitality) would that count as well?

thanks
Reply 5928
Original post by tm00131
I didn't think anywhere did either until I started here. We don't have crew trainers here, it goes crew member then floor manager and then shift manager. It seems like the floor management course is done by the franchise group rather than McDonald's (as I guess it would of been done when FMs were in every store) and you have to do the crew trainer programme to go on it (even though we don't have crew trainers). Very strange system, not really sure why they have it like this. I guess as I have the CT certificate and everything, I am technically a crew trainer, even if I don't do any CT stuff, making me quite a unique employee here. :biggrin:

I think when the next lot FM course comes around and the BM does interviews, I'll be able to ask questions and get an idea of if it would be too much with uni.

On the another note, I think we do PRs differently here. They are done in January and July with the payrise ones in January. I thought March and September with the payrise one in September, was the norm?

Has meant my pay has gone from £4.46 to £6.56 in 10 months though! Went from £4.46 to £4.94 when I turned 18, £4.94 to £6.15 with CT promtion, £6.15 to £6.37 with September payrise then I got a payrise in January based on the PR I had at my home store in September taking me to £6.56 (don't know why they didn't do a PR on me and just used my previous one).

Ahh, I see. Best thing is to ask in the interview then and decide then.

Some franchises have strange rules. Nice that the PR pay rises works out nicely for you though! Company stores will have the PRs January-March then August-October, with the later giving you a pay rise. BMs can give out extra PRs at their discretion though, I remember I started in the October, and my BM felt bad that I'd have to wait the full year before getting a pay rise, so I got a 10p raise in July, then another 25-odd pence on top of that in the September :p:

I'm on £6.43 at the moment though. I just remember back in the days of being on £4.35 when I very first started, and thinking that it was pretty good!
Reply 5929
Original post by WdA04
Hey guys, I worked at Maccy's for over a year and want to leave for a new summer job. But first.

One job I'm looking at, it says 'Previous experience of working within a busy kitchen/catering environment is preferred along with a Food Safety level 2 certificate or similar'.

Obviously Maccys is busy and high pressured. But for the second part, I have the food safety orientation thing, is that the equivalent?

I also have the apprenticeship (NVQ level 2 in Catering and Hospitality) would that count as well?

thanks

Put everything down it all helps :smile:
Reply 5930
Original post by WdA04

thanks

Put it down, it might not be equivalent but it is something. If you get an interview you could say about how you've been trained to work with food, and explain.

Original post by Ronda
Ahh, I see. Best thing is to ask in the interview then and decide then.

Some franchises have strange rules. Nice that the PR pay rises works out nicely for you though! Company stores will have the PRs January-March then August-October, with the later giving you a pay rise. BMs can give out extra PRs at their discretion though, I remember I started in the October, and my BM felt bad that I'd have to wait the full year before getting a pay rise, so I got a 10p raise in July, then another 25-odd pence on top of that in the September :p:

I'm on £6.43 at the moment though. I just remember back in the days of being on £4.35 when I very first started, and thinking that it was pretty good!

I guess franchisees can changes more when it comes to HR stuff like PRs, shift structure and things like break allowances because it isn't affecting the customers whereas the more operational procedures need to be standardised.

£4.35 did seem a decent rate when I started, now I'm on over 50% extra!

When I'm working at home I'm on £6.32 which only works out a couple of pounds difference each shift compared to £6.56, but my home store did promote me to CT a month before I left for uni which they didn't need to do, and hence transferred on a much higher rate, so can't complain.
Reply 5931
Just received my first cash register retraining slip. What should I do?
Reply 5932
Ask manager for help ? I worked at MC worst time of my life.
Reply 5933
Original post by MM01
Just received my first cash register retraining slip. What should I do?

Not worry about it too much. Just make sure you count your till before using it, are careful when giving change, and you don't let anyone else use your till. Also make sure when you give managers money for change, you get the change. Don't do refunds yourself either.

If someone else uses your till, you aren't allowed to count it or you don't witness it being cashed up - you can refuse to sign the cash retraining slip.
We had the most ridiculous customer the other day. I had just popped out to Tesco as my BM wanted me to buy some pens (they seem to go missing all the time...) and I walk back in and see a customer throw a plain hamburger on front counter and scream "WHAT DO YOUUU CALLLLL THIIIIIISSSS?!" my manager, completely confused was like "sorry sir, what is the problem?" "what does this look like to you?" "...a plain hamburger." (the guy had separated it all on front counter). he went on ranting and raving, while not telling my manager what the problem was, we were all thinking there was something awful in this hamburger like a clump of hairs or something. next he started taking pictures of the said burger telling us all he was going to sell the pictures to newspapers and our store would be shut down. my manager was still saying "sorry, but i have only just got here, tell me the problem with this burger and i can sort it out". the customer was then all "oh so you're blaming the LABOURERS instead of taking the blame for yourself." (it turned out he'd asked for a cheeseburger and a plain burger, but didn't mean a plain hamburger an ordinary one)

before this as well, he had sat in our drive thru lane completely blocking it for 5minutes until a manager came out. it was only when a guy in his car behind got out and threatened to hit this guy, that he parked up and came in store.

what an idiot. if he had just simply stated he wanted an ordinary hamburger, it would have all been sorted out in a matter of seconds!
Reply 5935
Original post by tm00131
If someone else uses your till, you aren't allowed to count it or you don't witness it being cashed up - you can refuse to sign the cash retraining slip.

My favourite loophole :tongue: I used to annoy so many managers by refusing to sign my slips. Though it was deserved, I don't care if someone only served three customers on my till, it only takes one person to give the wrong change out.

Original post by grooveshoeshine
We had the most ridiculous customer the other day. I had just popped out to Tesco as my BM wanted me to buy some pens (they seem to go missing all the time...) and I walk back in and see a customer throw a plain hamburger on front counter and scream "WHAT DO YOUUU CALLLLL THIIIIIISSSS?!" my manager, completely confused was like "sorry sir, what is the problem?" "what does this look like to you?" "...a plain hamburger." (the guy had separated it all on front counter). he went on ranting and raving, while not telling my manager what the problem was, we were all thinking there was something awful in this hamburger like a clump of hairs or something. next he started taking pictures of the said burger telling us all he was going to sell the pictures to newspapers and our store would be shut down. my manager was still saying "sorry, but i have only just got here, tell me the problem with this burger and i can sort it out". the customer was then all "oh so you're blaming the LABOURERS instead of taking the blame for yourself." (it turned out he'd asked for a cheeseburger and a plain burger, but didn't mean a plain hamburger an ordinary one)

before this as well, he had sat in our drive thru lane completely blocking it for 5minutes until a manager came out. it was only when a guy in his car behind got out and threatened to hit this guy, that he parked up and came in store.

what an idiot. if he had just simply stated he wanted an ordinary hamburger, it would have all been sorted out in a matter of seconds!

"Labourers" ehy? He sounds like one of those annoying boycott McDonald's/anti-workfare people. :rolleyes:
Reply 5936
Original post by Stacks
My favourite loophole :tongue: I used to annoy so many managers by refusing to sign my slips. Though it was deserved, I don't care if someone only served three customers on my till, it only takes one person to give the wrong change out.

And at my stores, 95% of the time you go home and your till is cashed up later, so you never witness it being cashed up. Only the closers are there when it's cashed up and then it's late so you get on doing the close so you can get out rather than watch the manager cash up your till. It does make me wonder if any store actually follows every single procedure, I somehow doubt it.
Reply 5937
Original post by tm00131
And at my stores, 95% of the time you go home and your till is cashed up later, so you never witness it being cashed up. Only the closers are there when it's cashed up and then it's late so you get on doing the close so you can get out rather than watch the manager cash up your till. It does make me wonder if any store actually follows every single procedure, I somehow doubt it.

I wouldn't be surprised if most stores don't follow procedure either (totally not going from personal experience...cough). But we never used to give a damn about tills. Like you could have 7 or 8 people on one till throughout a shift. Then we got really strict and you'd have your till locked if you were on your break etc etc. We don't same to mind so much now, we just shouldn't serve off other people's tills.

That pretty much sums my store up though, we go through phases of being strict on something then stop caring. Like every January it's food cost and no pressing the flow button on the drinks tower! and weighing out your mcflurries. Literally lasts about a week before we get bored of caring.
I've started work 5 weeks ago & now, the new schedule manager (she was shift manager before taking over last week the new position) asked me to start doing the math & english on ourlounge. WTF is that? :biggrin:
I'm doing my MSc degree, i seriously dont get what she meant haha

She then talked about something called "apprentice" & she will put me on this. The talk lasted 1 min & it was in the crew room so a lot of staff & i was late for my shift, so didnt bother to listen properly.

Can someone please explain? :smile:
Reply 5939
Original post by destination unknown
I've started work 5 weeks ago & now, the new schedule manager (she was shift manager before taking over last week the new position) asked me to start doing the math & english on ourlounge. WTF is that? :biggrin:
I'm doing my MSc degree, i seriously dont get what she meant haha

She then talked about something called "apprentice" & she will put me on this. The talk lasted 1 min & it was in the crew room so a lot of staff & i was late for my shift, so didnt bother to listen properly.

Can someone please explain? :smile:

The apprenticeship program gets you a level 2 qualification in Hospitality. It's a requirement in a lot of stores, and others may only make you do it if you want promoted. It's made up of 4 or 5 parts depending on when you got your maths and English in school. You have to go through your CDP, which you'd be doing on the job anyway, diary which gets filled out in your own time, which you research about the company and stuff, Key skills book which you get paid time to do, this assesses the maths and communication skills needed for the qualification, and a multiple choice test which makes the qualification transferable. The maths and English that you've been asked to do, will either be the initial assessments found on my learning on ourlounge, or an extra requirement the program needs for certain people.

I don't know if you'd sat A levels/GCSEs, or other qualifications, but for Scottish qualifications your results last 3 years. I know certain grades at A level last indefinitely, but I don't really know too much about it, as all the people I have on the program sat Scottish qualifications, and I don't think there's currently anyone in my store who wouldn't have. But basically, if you don't have any maths or English grades, or they have "ran out", you'll also need to gain a maths and English qualification at level 1 or 2.

The apprenticeship is a good program, probably not very useful to you doing a MSc unless you plan on staying in hospitality/catering, but it's something that can go on the CV. You do get time off the floor to do your Key Skills so it's something extra to do whilst working, and some of the things you learn in the diary are quite interesting and stuff I wouldn't have known without doing the program.

I'm a crew trainer in my store for the program, so if you've got any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Stacks
I wouldn't be surprised if most stores don't follow procedure either (totally not going from personal experience...cough). But we never used to give a damn about tills. Like you could have 7 or 8 people on one till throughout a shift. Then we got really strict and you'd have your till locked if you were on your break etc etc. We don't same to mind so much now, we just shouldn't serve off other people's tills.

That pretty much sums my store up though, we go through phases of being strict on something then stop caring. Like every January it's food cost and no pressing the flow button on the drinks tower! and weighing out your mcflurries. Literally lasts about a week before we get bored of caring.

I'd also be very surprised if there was a store that followed every single procedure. What happens when you have certain people who get promoted who really shouldn't be. I try to push them in my store, but in reality, unless you have every single manager and crew trainer doing it, it's not going to happen.

We'd recently gone through a phase of making sure everyone put as little lettuce as we could get away with when dressing, and any that had fallen off Big Macs on the tray had gotten put into a tub next to the production bin to stop waste, but this happened for 2 or 3 weeks then just stopped. I kinda like the idea as well, but ah well!