The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

New patch out at some point today via steam...
Reply 5461
Original post by Karma Charger
New patch out at some point today via steam...

Thank goodness for that, I was getting fed up of Rangers actually having money to buy players with! :rolleyes:
Reply 5462
If anybody hasn't yet purchased FM2012 (like me) from 6pm tonight you can buy off steam for just £7.99! The offer lasts 48 hours.

Money is a bit tight for me at the moment but I may just be tempted!
Original post by Yoghurt
If anybody hasn't yet purchased FM2012 (like me) from 6pm tonight you can buy off steam for just £7.99! The offer lasts 48 hours.

Money is a bit tight for me at the moment but I may just be tempted!

£4.99 if you own it already and buy it as a gift...
So should I start a new save with the new update?
Original post by jackf1337
So should I start a new save with the new update?

If you want it to take full affect, like transfers than yes

My level 14 add on for the English league doesn't work with the update :frown:
Original post by WhatTheFunk
If you want it to take full affect, like transfers than yes

My level 14 add on for the English league doesn't work with the update :frown:

Who should I do a career with?

Already got one going as Aston Villa...
Reply 5467

Wolves? Newcastle are a good shot too.
Reply 5468
Original post by Ash_TJ
Resigned after 11 seasons at Liverpool.

Won the League Cup x 5, FA Cup x 4, Premier League x 7, Community Shield x 5, Champions League x 2, European Super Cup and the World Club Championship.

Put me 13th on the all-time hall of fame and 2nd for English managers.

Took charge of France who are 5th in the world rankings, at the beginning of the Euro 2024 qualification campaign. Been drawn with Norway, Bulgaria, Finland and Luxembourg. First game was a friendly away to Croatia which I lost 1-0. Won my first three qualification games, 4-0 away to Norway, 4-0 at home to Finland and 3-0 away to Bulgaria. Just had another two friendlies away to Colombia who won the World Cup in 2012, and away to Egypt which I won 3-0 and 2-0 respectively.

Now got a longgggggg wait for another game.

Qualified for Euro 2024 with relative ease. Won the group, winning all eight games, scoring 35 and only conceded 1 goal.

Got drawn with Russia, Israel and Ukraine in the Group Stages and likewise qualified with ease winning every game. Beat Israel 5-0, Ukraine 8-0 then Russia 1-0.

Second Round I had England, 2-2 after FT then 3-3 after ET. My star striker from when I was at Liverpool put them in front in the 119th minute but then my right winger also from Liverpool who won the World Player of the Year three times scored immediately from kick off and sent it to penalties :biggrin: Which I won.

Had Scotland (yep) in the Quarter-Finals and won pretty easilly 2-0, then beat Italy 3-0 who were ranked #1 in the World in the Semi-Finals with a crafty 3-5-2 formation.

Had the hosts Spain in the final, they got a man sent off after 16 minutes but then went infront after 33 minutes. Then my captain got sent off in the second half and my holding midfielder scored a own goal late on and I lost 2-0 which was really annoying because I dominated the game but had a bad feeling about it with them being the hosts and all that .. took me to #1 in the Fifa Rankings at least.

Relatively easy draw for 2026 World Cup qualifying. Turkey, Finland, Israel, Cyprus and Kazakhstan. Won my first four games, beat Finland 6-1, Kazakhstan 6-0, Israel 2-0 then Cyprus 5-0.

Wanna win either the World Cup or Euros then will probably go back to a club team. Accrington Stanley were taken over by sugar daddys in the Blue Square North and got 4 back to back promotions to the Championship and are now playing at Ewood Park, so might give them a go. Or Newport County who are in the Championship aswell, or maybe Bournemouth who are actually in the Premier League and were my feeder club whilst I was at Liverpool.
Original post by SciFiBoy
just signed a sick regen for United, cost me a lot though! £32m transfer from River Plate and 79k a week wages!

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/213/regenm.png

I found a player around this guys level for 2 million and he gets 30k in wages. 32 million was too much, he is pretty good though

I've found better in previous FM's, Roma always seem to have a crazy regen as well, I think I might splash the cash and buy one. Although I don't need to buy any players.

Update on FM: In 2020, came second with 86 points, really should have come first, valencia got 88 points, I drew to them twice, even though I blatently won 3-2 in the home fixture, the goal was allowed, yet the score read 2-2 FFS!! So basically I won the league but that error basically costed me first place.

got to the semi finals of the spanish cup again and lost to real madrid, I got to the champions league first knockout round and faced man united. The exact same thing that happened to arsenal vs milan yesterday happened to me...

I'm now doing terrible in the league, 8 points behind the leaders in december and 10th place. I'm first in my CL group and just need to draw to bayern or roma lose to the 4th seed team and I go through and I have a tie vs hercules in the spanish cup who I will probably beat, since I always end up in the final or semi final of the copa del rey.
Original post by Champagne Supernova
AVB has been all over the shop on my save, come to think about it :moon: His lengthiest spell was at Everton :lolwut:

Ranieri won the world cup with england and got sacked for poor performances :lolwut: The guy who hasn't won a trophy for at least 12 years managed a country that wins **** all and wins the world cup.

AVB then becomes england manager, after going to malaga, athletic bilbao and man city...

Original post by Dalimyr
Likely answer: No, and very :p:

Unless he gets a career-threatening injury or something, Lionel Messi is likely to be the best player in the game for years to come, but Neymar's good enough and has enough potential that he can set you back somewhere in the region of £30-40m, probably erring on the upper side of that range.

This, you can get a regen for cheaper. Just raid brazil or italy, roma always end up with ridiculous regens, juventus do too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jam277
This, you can get a regen for cheaper. Just raid brazil or italy, roma always end up with ridiculous regens, juventus do too.

Don't forget Schalke, they always have brilliant regens. :adore:
Original post by CB91
Don't forget Schalke, they always have brilliant regens. :adore:

Leverkusen as well. Got two german regens for free, one is worth 10 million while a 19 year old is worth 4 million and needs a year or two to become a prolific goalscorer. I remember making a 5 million pound profit in the space of a season with one of my regens that I got on a free transfer.
Reply 5472
Just bought FM12, first football sim since FM05. Any good, comprehensive beginner guides out there?

try lower leagues out, these fun in building a team from league 2 or below

Or going to another country and doing the same
or take over at Portsmouth and save them :p:

Original post by Tom B.
Just bought FM12, first football sim since FM05. Any good, comprehensive beginner guides out there?

http://www.fmscout.com/a-fm12-assistant-manager-hints-and-tips.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/90047-help-beginners-football-manager-12-a.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Is that what my steam downloaded yesterday? Saw it download FM12 and was like wtf? I already have Fm12..

Awesome if it's auto-updated.

Guess I won't bother with my PSG attempt 3 since I might as well play with the update.
Reply 5475
FM can be so unrealistic at times...

0-0 after 9 minutes (Im Manchester United, my 3rd team of this save) against Bolton. Cleverley gets sent off (straight red) *sigh* sets up to play on the counter attack, its half time now... and I'm 5-0 up. What the hell? Obviously I'm over the moon with the result, but I can't help but think its a flaw rather than good management...
After winning the Premiership with Middlesbrough and the North Korean league with April 25, I decided I wanted more of a challenge. I've taken on New Holland FC in the Jamaican Major Leagues (third tier) and it's literally impossible. The oldest player on my team when I began was 19, and his best stat is composure: 7. Turns out that every player in this part of the pyramid is a youth player (it's a weird structure, there's 14 divisions in the third tier all running parallel, with one from each promoted to an 8 part second tier) so it's not wrong that I've got all youth, although I can sign older players for some reason. Now the head of experience on my team is James Gardner, a 23 year old centre back from Humble Lions FC's reserves...

It is SO HARD. I give away about three penalties a game, but the players are all so bad that only one in every three or four goes in. In the current game I've had two players sent off before half time and two injured. 0-4 down at HT, full time was 1-4.

The eventual aim is to get New Holland into the North American Champions' League but I've only got three points out of twelve and the players are all so demotivated that nothing I say will help. My physio has a physio stat of 3 and he's the best in the league.

I only have fifteen players, that doesn't help. Can't sign anyone else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5477
Original post by Cataquack
After winning the Premiership with Middlesbrough and the North Korean league with April 25, I decided I wanted more of a challenge. I've taken on New Holland FC in the Jamaican Major Leagues (third tier) and it's literally impossible. The oldest player on my team when I began was 19, and his best stat is composure: 7. Turns out that every player in this part of the pyramid is a youth player (it's a weird structure, there's 14 divisions in the third tier all running parallel, with one from each promoted to an 8 part second tier) so it's not wrong that I've got all youth, although I can sign older players for some reason. Now the head of experience on my team is James Gardner, a 23 year old centre back from Humble Lions FC's reserves...

It is SO HARD. I give away about three penalties a game, but the players are all so bad that only one in every three or four goes in. In the current game I've had two players sent off before half time and two injured. 0-4 down at HT, full time was 1-4.

The eventual aim is to get New Holland into the North American Champions' League but I've only got three points out of twelve and the players are all so demotivated that nothing I say will help. My physio has a physio stat of 3 and he's the best in the league.

Haha, that sounds class! Have you got all leagues switched on all the time? How slowly does it run if you do? Surely players above the standard of your division might be interested in joining you due to your exploits in the Prem?
I've been banned from playing FM12, because of a level results :frown:
Reply 5479
Original post by Point!
Haha, that sounds class! Have you got all leagues switched on all the time? How slowly does it run if you do? Surely players above the standard of your division might be interested in joining you due to your exploits in the Prem?
From past experience with all leagues playable it's PAINFULLY slow (a day or more to holiday through a season isn't out of the question) and the game physically can't handle the amount of data so you have to save just about every time you want to press continue because particularly during days when matches are being played (i.e. most days) the game will more than likely decide to crash.

With all leagues set to 'view-only' except the one you're actively playing in, it's much more manageable, and not too much worse than having just the active playable league on its own (results in view-only leagues are simulated based on club rep and so on rather than being played out in full detail like in playable leagues and managers in view-only leagues are about as passive in the transfer market as when their leagues aren't on at all). But of course remember that with FM12 you can now turn leagues on/off whenever you feel like it (league is activated/deactivated once it's time for a new season to start in that country) so there's a perfectly good possibility that Cataquack's just been having one or two active leagues at a time and switching leagues on/off when he wanted a change :smile:

Original post by Cataquack
Can't you sign players to...uh, was it 'Non-Contract' or something that replaced the old Amateur contracts from previous games? Amateur players don't get paid any wages, so in lower leagues they're quite handy for bulking out a squad on the cheap :smile:

Latest