The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Newport University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MissBlueskys
I found it on 4OD the other day. I found it quite funny compared to my initial thoughts about Newport. They definately do party hard. I'm not too much of a drinker either so it will be fun people-watching in the night clubs. My brother called Newport the "Seattle of Great Britain". I can't wait to explore Wales either.

Is you course at the City Campus? Have you thought about which accommodation you prefer?

Unfortunately I think the only thing similar between Newport and Seattle will be the abundance of rain...

The Doc Photography course is at the Caerleon campus so i'd imagine i'd live out there for the first year at least.

I had a look at the accommodation when I went for my interview and i think i'd have to go for the en suite rooms, simply due to the smaller number of people. Living with 17 others would do my nut in.

What did you think?

Louie
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Original post by louiegy
Unfortunately I think the only thing similar between Newport and Seattle will be the abundance of rain...

The Doc Photography course is at the Caerleon campus so i'd imagine i'd live out there for the first year at least.

I had a look at the accommodation when I went for my interview and i think i'd have to go for the en suite rooms, simply due to the smaller number of people. Living with 17 others would do my nut in.

What did you think?

Louie

Yeah, I never understood it but he keeps saying it. Never understand most things he says haha. Ah, I thought you were doing Documentary film so I assumed you would be in the city. Mine is in the city but I would rather stay at the Caerleon Campus. I think I would prefer standard just for the bigger room and not having to clean my own toilet. Also more chance of fitting in, I would be worried all 5/7 people in ensuite would not like me lol.
Reply 42
Yeah, I never understood it but he keeps saying it. Never understand most things he says haha. Ah, I thought you were doing Documentary film so I assumed you would be in the city. Mine is in the city but I would rather stay at the Caerleon Campus. I think I would prefer standard just for the bigger room and not having to clean my own toilet. Also more chance of fitting in, I would be worried all 5/7 people in ensuite would not like me lol.

Yeah Doc Photography is up at Caerleon, and I think it's be much nicer being up there. The actual campus in the city looks good but I don't think I'd want to stay in Newport the whole time. At least up at Caerleon you have all the hills around you.

What course are you going for?
Original post by louiegy
Yeah Doc Photography is up at Caerleon, and I think it's be much nicer being up there. The actual campus in the city looks good but I don't think I'd want to stay in Newport the whole time. At least up at Caerleon you have all the hills around you.

What course are you going for?

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same. The Caerleon Campus has beautiful scenery. I'm doing Film and Video.
Reply 44
Hey guys have applied for Game Design any takers?

PS. who is up for some mario karts ? :biggrin:
Reply 45
I've got a conditional for Religious Studies (firm choice), staying at Caerleon hopefully. A few friends I know are going there too.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've been accepted in Newport for Youth and Community Work, reason being accepted is because I am in a gap year :smile: But yeah I cannot wait for Uni :biggrin:
Original post by Savvy?
I've got a conditional for Religious Studies (firm choice), staying at Caerleon hopefully. A few friends I know are going there too.

Original post by PewterBerry
I've been accepted in Newport for Youth and Community Work, reason being accepted is because I am in a gap year :smile: But yeah I cannot wait for Uni :biggrin:

Congrats :smile: I can't for uni either. Getting a little bored with college. You are lucky you know friends going. Most of my friends have decided not to go uni at all recently.
Reply 48
Original post by PewterBerry

Cool - I was told at my interview they would be making me an offer - if so, see you there!
Reply 49
Had my interview at Newport for Documentary Film and Television, it went absolutely fantastic.... Just awaiting an offer :biggrin:
Hey all,
Congratulations to those of you who have recieved offers, well done :smile:
I study at Newport (Caerleon campus) , as a mature student (28) who commutes from the south Wales valleys I'm not sure how much info i can offer you on Newport itself, but seeing as no one else has been forthcoming i'll have a go.

Those of you concerned with the small city status, admittedly Newport will never compare with London, it's a small city and the outskirts are somewhat deprived. This is apparent within minutes of arriving, however the new city campus and Opal accommodation is very modern and appealing. Caerleon campus although offering older accommodation has the benefit of the SU bar, beautiful surroundings and only a short ride into town. Cardiff is a fantastic city and only a short car or train ride away, 20 mins or so and offers great nightlife and shopping.

The teaching at Caerleon and i should imagine city campus is of a very high standard and being only a small uni in comparison to others has an intimate and personal approach.

Hope this limited info has helped, if you have any particular questions i'll try my best to answer them :smile:

Em x
Original post by keefy
Had my interview at Newport for Documentary Film and Television, it went absolutely fantastic.... Just awaiting an offer :biggrin:

Well done! Is Newport your top choice?
Original post by overworked M&S
Hey all,
Congratulations to those of you who have recieved offers, well done :smile:
I study at Newport (Caerleon campus) , as a mature student (28) who commutes from the south Wales valleys I'm not sure how much info i can offer you on Newport itself, but seeing as no one else has been forthcoming i'll have a go.

Those of you concerned with the small city status, admittedly Newport will never compare with London, it's a small city and the outskirts are somewhat deprived. This is apparent within minutes of arriving, however the new city campus and Opal accommodation is very modern and appealing. Caerleon campus although offering older accommodation has the benefit of the SU bar, beautiful surroundings and only a short ride into town. Cardiff is a fantastic city and only a short car or train ride away, 20 mins or so and offers great nightlife and shopping.

The teaching at Caerleon and i should imagine city campus is of a very high standard and being only a small uni in comparison to others has an intimate and personal approach.

Hope this limited info has helped, if you have any particular questions i'll try my best to answer them :smile:

Em x

Hello,

Can I ask what you study? Just out of curiousity :smile:
I keep hearing that because it is a small university, students get to know almost everyone there. Did you find that as well? I am a little worried about which Campus to choose because Caerleon has all the SU and gym but my course is at the City Campus. Did you start off in campus or come from your home straight away?
Sorry for all the questions. I am really excited about going Newport. Do you enjoy it?
x
Reply 53
*cough* is a currently Documentary Film student living in Caerleon who doesn't mind the commute to city campus *cough*
Original post by andmeaning
*cough* is a currently Documentary Film student living in Caerleon who doesn't mind the commute to city campus *cough*

I am glad to hear that. I hope to stay at Caerleon (it's so beautiful) and go to City for Film and Video.
Hi missblueskys,
I study access/foundation and have a place on social studies (major) counselling (minor) in sept. You do get to see the same faces yes and living on campus will meet others from different courses to yours. It's a very friendly, supportive uni.
I've always commuted as I have a 10 year old who is adamant he is not moving 50 miles from his friends. So never an option for me.
Are you able to visit both campus to get a feel for them, help u decide where to stay.
I love it there, uni is fantastic, hard work of course but great :smile: x
Reply 56
I am glad to hear that. I hope to stay at Caerleon (it's so beautiful) and go to City for Film and Video.

most the people I know who went for Opal wish they went for Caerleon, it's just so much cheaper (and more fun) (though opal have the best parties)
Original post by andmeaning
most the people I know who went for Opal wish they went for Caerleon, it's just so much cheaper (and more fun) (though opal have the best parties)

Did a lot of people on your course go to Opal? I was told by one of the lecturers that most first years in film go there.
Reply 58
Well done! Is Newport your top choice?

Yup, it certainly is. Got my offer the other day and will be firming it just as soon as i've picked my second choice (hertfordshire of portsmouth)
Original post by SWPanda
Cool - I was told at my interview they would be making me an offer - if so, see you there!

haha yeah hopefully it should be fun :biggrin: jus rang up now to check i still got my place and apparently its unconditional so yay :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending