The Student Room Group

UKCAT - abstract reasoning

Okay, so I need to know this, what is the flippin' method for abstract reasoning?!?! The other sections I can understand how you'd get the answers (I'm just too stupid to get them all) but what is it you're actually looking for in the shapes?!?!

Please please someone help a sobbing medic hopeful and I will love you forever
Reply 1
Practice! Do you have the 600Q book (this)? It really helped me. When I started practicing I had no idea how to find the pattern or whatever, but after going through the 600Q book, I had a fairly decent understanding, I managed 680 in AR this year (it was my lowest section).

The abstract reasoning part of the UKCAT contains 13 exercises. In each exercise, you will be given two sets of abstract shapes, named Set A and Set B. All shapes within set A are linked in one way; all shapes within Set B are linked in another way. Your first task is to determine the nature of the relationships between all shapes within each set. Once you have done so, you are given 5 test shapes and are asked to determine whether they belong to Set A, Set B or neither set.

A basic over view of what you should be looking for:

Type and size of the objects

Number of objects

Number of sides

Symmetries

Number and type of angles

Intersections

Colour of the objects

Position and direction of the objects

I'd really recommend getting the 600Q book, it gives you a fair amount of questions to practice with. Also try this thread, it has lots of useful resources.

Also, isn't it a bit early to be doing all this? I think it'd be best if you concentrated on A-levels (if you're still at school) right now. You'll probably end up going through everything and using all your resources a while before you actually take the UKCAT. Best time to start UKCAT revision would be about a month before you actually take it. Best of luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dr.Acula
Practice! Do you have the 600Q book (this)? It really helped me. When I started practicing I had no idea how to find the pattern or whatever, but after going through the 600Q book, I had a fairly decent understanding, I managed 680 in AR this year (it was my lowest section).

The abstract reasoning part of the UKCAT contains 13 exercises. In each exercise, you will be given two sets of abstract shapes, named Set A and Set B. All shapes within set A are linked in one way; all shapes within Set B are linked in another way. Your first task is to determine the nature of the relationships between all shapes within each set. Once you have done so, you are given 5 test shapes and are asked to determine whether they belong to Set A, Set B or neither set.

Number of objects

Number of sides

Symmetries

Intersections

Colour of the objects

I'd really recommend getting the 600Q book, it gives you a fair amount of questions to practice with. Also try this thread, it has lots of useful resources.

Also, isn't it a bit early to be doing all this? I think it'd be best if you concentrated on A-levels (if you're still at school) right now. You'll probably end up going through everything and using all your resources a while before you actually take the UKCAT. Best time to start UKCAT revision would be about a month before you actually take it. Best of luck.

this is the only thing I'd disagree with here actually. I'd say go for a little practice every couple of days, to get you used to the style. It's probably not wise to cram it a month before. 15mins every 3 days isn't too tough on your a-levels now is it?

I second the 600q book, get it off amazon.
Reply 3
Original post by Pride
this is the only thing I'd disagree with here actually. I'd say go for a little practice every couple of days, to get you used to the style. It's probably not wise to cram it a month before. 15mins every 3 days isn't too tough on your a-levels now is it?

I second the 600q book, get it off amazon.

Fair enough, although a month is more than enough time (no cramming necessary). I only did an hour or two every day the month before, and I managed a decent score. But everyone has different ways of learning, whatever works for you. Have you applied for medicine this year or are you a 2013 applicant?
Reply 4
Fair enough, although a month is more than enough time (no cramming necessary). I only did an hour or two every day the month before, and I managed a decent score. But everyone has different ways of learning, whatever works for you. Have you applied for medicine this year or are you a 2013 applicant?

Reply 5
Original post by Pride

Best of luck, I'm a 2013 re-app.

(And +repped you, dunno why you got negged)
Reply 6

Number of objects

Number of sides

Symmetries

Intersections

Colour of the objects

Aww thanks a million for that list, that's pretty much what I needed, I just had no idea what to look for in the shapes. But lol, I'm sort of laughing at myself a bit now - I did a paper yesterday for the first time and it was after a long day at school and I was tired and pissed off and yeah. Got a bit emotional and was getting mad at myself for not being able to do it instantly. Really appreciate your help!

As for it being early, well I figured I might as well try now, if I'm crap then I have loads of time to work on it, and yeah I'm planning to do a couple hours a week until it gets closer to the time where I'll probably do a bit more.

Thanks again! I have the 600q book, I will get started on it :smile:
Reply 7

Number of objects

Number of sides

Symmetries

Intersections

Colour of the objects

This is really solid advice. Although the best thing I learnt this year, was that after doing so many, you'll start to pick up on what to look for, and be able to remind yourself to think outside the box.

And I would agree its a bit early to be doing it - I can see that people want to get in there with as much practise as they can, but A levels are soo much more important than UKCAT at the moment. Last year, I did about two hours revision in total. Mistake. This year, I did two or three days of about 3 hours work, and then the odd half hour for about two or three weeks before that. As long as you get through the UKCAT practise book, I think thats enough - it is an aptitude test after all, you can only improve so much. You can definitely improve a lot, but there is a limit.

Quick Reply

Latest