The Student Room Group

Which Universities Accept 2:2 Degrees for Postgraduate Studies?

Hi,

last year I got around 3-4 2:2s, a 3rd and only 1-2 2:1s - that was 30% of my results

this year I think i'm only going to get 2:2s and 3rds- most likely 2-3 2:2s and 2 3rds and (if i'm lucky) a 2:1 (knowing my luck it'll only be 2:2)

So Uni's most likely going to be 5-6 2:2s, 3-4 3rds and 1-2 2:1

My GCSEs were quite good in comparison- 2 As, 2 Bs,4 Cs and a D

my A levels were also pretty good- DMM in BND General IT (that's around 2 B's and a C) and a B in AS Business - basically I got 3 B's at A level

I got into Southampton Solent simply as it was nearby to where I live and we have several mortgages on our houses/we don't get that much in aid-hence me commuting.

Which Unis accept 2:2 for Business courses- something like E-Commerce or Economics with Marketing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronki23

Ones that aren't going to be credible enough to compensate for your previous academic results. So make sure you are spending the money for some other reason than trying to make yourself seem more appealing to an employer.
play schools
nurseries
if you're lucky, primary schools
Reply 3
London South Bank
Reply 4
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
play schools
nurseries
if you're lucky, primary schools

Yeah,serious answers please

Also playschools and nurseries are the same
Original post by ronki23
Yeah,serious answers please

Also playschools and nurseries are the same

at least you won't feel bad that a play school accepts you for post grad when you get rejected from nurseries
Reply 6
Original post by IK237
Frankly, achieving a bad degree at an absolutely terrible institution infers that your are not bright at all. No University in the UK will admit you and the ones that do won't increase your employment prospects.

Stop wasting your time studying and find an entry level retail job.

Exactly this.
Reply 7
Frankly, achieving a bad degree at an absolutely terrible institution infers that your are not bright at all. No University in the UK will admit you and the ones that do won't increase your employment prospects.

I expect to see you in McDonald next time preparing my filet o fish meal. chop chop.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
For better or worse, the UK now has a marketised HE sector. That means that of course there will be a university somewhere which will accept you for postgraduate study; you may just have to compromise on prestige and bankability.
I'm not sure either that I accept wholly the arguments put forward more or less delicately by some posters above that anything less than a 2:1 signifies extreme dimness, that there is some sort of cliff edge of cleverness. People underachieve in their first degree for any number of reasons. I'm doing a PhD at a world-class university with someone who got a third in her UG degree, which was in a subject she later thought she had chosen mistakenly. She went off to work and volunteer for a while, then came back and did a Master's in a field much more suited to her, gaining a Credit. This got her onto the PhD. We have all had to do compulsory research methods modules, and she has got an average of Distinction. The woman is getting better and better, but would have been written off by many of the people posting here. I agree that grades are useful and necessary, but that doesn't mean that human ability and capacity are fixed and unable to be developed.
Reply 9
Choosing a degree "mistakenly" is no excuse for a third... it either shows a lack of effort or lack of ability.
Original post by Steb7
For better or worse, the UK now has a marketised HE sector. That means that of course there will be a university somewhere which will accept you for postgraduate study; you may just have to compromise on prestige and bankability.
I'm not sure either that I accept wholly the arguments put forward more or less delicately by some posters above that anything less than a 2:1 signifies extreme dimness, that there is some sort of cliff edge of cleverness. People underachieve in their first degree for any number of reasons. I'm doing a PhD at a world-class university with someone who got a third in her UG degree, which was in a subject she later thought she had chosen mistakenly. She went off to work and volunteer for a while, then came back and did a Master's in a field much more suited to her, gaining a Credit. This got her onto the PhD. We have all had to do compulsory research methods modules, and she has got an average of Distinction. The woman is getting better and better, but would have been written off by many of the people posting here. I agree that grades are useful and necessary, but that doesn't mean that human ability and capacity are fixed and unable to be developed.

I love this post :smile:

Keep trying OP! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by _Student_
Choosing a degree "mistakenly" is no excuse for a third... it either shows a lack of effort or lack of ability.

...And a mistaken choice of subject can result in either. It's not necessarily an excuse, but it is a reason.
Reply 12
If your economic situation has improved, consider the US.
Reply 13
Original post by IK237

I expect to see you in McDonald next time preparing my filet o fish meal. chop chop.

haha-funny ****

As I said I had to go to this Uni. As for the employment; how is it that i'm going to get a 'bad' job or 'bad' postgrad when sub-A level students are getting £7+ per hour admin jobs at Lloyd's TSB? Not saying it's a great job but in theory I should be getting better than them.
End of the day, the prestige of the university doesn't matter, if you achieve a 1st in the worst uni but, for the same course, got beaten by someone who got a 2:2 at Oxbridge - then it's stupid

The results are the ones that matter, not the place of education
Original post by accountant-future
End of the day, the prestige of the university doesn't matter, if you achieve a 1st in the worst uni but, for the same course, got beaten by someone who got a 2:2 at Oxbridge - then it's stupid

The results are the ones that matter, not the place of education

With the admissions process for some psychology practitioner courses, this happens.

For some unis, applicants with 1st and 2.1s go through, whereas anyone with a 2.2 or a third are immediately rejected, regardless of place of education.
Original post by ronki23
Hi,

Which Unis accept 2:2 for Business courses- something like E-Commerce or Economics with Marketing?

Most universities completely reject anything below a 2:1. However, a girl on my course got a 2:2 from the University of Glasgow and hadn't applied for any masters courses, but towards the end of summer thought she ought to start looking around for something to do. Her friend, who had already been granted a place on my course, told her there was 3 spaces left on the course and to phone the course leader as the industrial funding put in place for the course would go to waste if students weren't allocated places. Lo-and-behold, within 24 hours of phoning the course leader, she was accepted onto the course. Rather unfairly, mind you. Had she applied back when the rest of us had applied she would have been immediately rejected, but money's important these days. It's also a good course, it's in civil engineering at Strathclyde, which has a brilliant rep for engineering. It's also an MRes, which is effectively the first year of a PhD.

You could always try something like this? I know Strathclyde has an amazing rep for business, unsure how many of these are funded so whether this trick would work for you I don't know!
Original post by *Elizabeth*
With the admissions process for some psychology practitioner courses, this happens.

For some unis, applicants with 1st and 2.1s go through, whereas anyone with a 2.2 or a third are immediately rejected, regardless of place of education.

Oh, apologies...I was talking about graduate job chances, not university entries :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by ronki23
sub-A level students are getting £7+ per hour admin jobs at Lloyd's TSB? Not saying it's a great job but in theory I should be getting better than them.

By getting a pass at degree level from a poor uni you think you are better or smarter than these people? Maybe they just realised academia wasn't for them before going off and wasting money on a low quality degree?
I only know about the London unis, I looked at most of them when I was applying for MAs. The ones that spring to mind are London Met, Kingston and Queen Mary. I'm sure there are plenty of others elsewhere too.
I kind of agree with what some other people are saying about qualifcations from not very well thought of uni's, and all the advice I've been given by my tutors is along the same line. Not sure I would have bothered applying for postgrad if I wasn't on course for a 2:1, but at the end of the day its your choice what you spend your money on. If its what you really want to do then go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest