The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schlegel
Thanks for the news :smile: It's good to hear that they don't reject unsuccessful PPE applicants outright! and congrats on your offer.

No problem! And thanks :biggrin:
University of York
York
Reply 1161
Original post by aysha.19
Declining my offer for Law...

What are you putting as your firm/insurance?
Original post by daisy05
What are you putting as your firm/insurance?

SOAS as firm, Leeds as insurance. These were my only 3 options.
I got my january resit mark back this morning, now have A*A*A overall and i've told York and sent them my scanned in results slip. Hopefully that might make them hurry up a bit!
just received an offer for PPE !! And what. A. Wait...
Reply 1165
Original post by aysha.19
SOAS as firm, Leeds as insurance. These were my only 3 options.

Ah nice, good luck :smile:
Original post by cm9403
That's great to know, really! :-) Where else have you applied?

Had offers from Newcastle, Nottingham and UEA... York is my last one! What about you?
Original post by MalibuSwitch
The politics department hasn't sent any off as it stands! Shouldn't be too long now though I can't imagine they'd wait right up until the deadline! (well I hope not anyway)

Yeah and from speaking to teachers and other students apparently York normally take forever anyway! But we can hope they don't leave it to the last possible moment!
Original post by studentccs
Yeah and from speaking to teachers and other students apparently York normally take forever anyway! But we can hope they don't leave it to the last possible moment!

its cruel how long we've waited! but they are sending them out now... !
Finally got an AAB offer for English today after a three month wait! Planned to firm Leeds as I was so sure I'd get rejected from York but now I'm not sure, has anyone looked at both?
Original post by hannahbasx
Finally got an AAB offer for English today after a three month wait! Planned to firm Leeds as I was so sure I'd get rejected from York but now I'm not sure, has anyone looked at both?

Is that for English as in Q300?
I went to an open day at York yesterday. My first impressions were not too impressed with the look of the building very 60s looking, but the insides are very different, its well equipped and the teaching staff (for history) were amazing. So if your not to bothered about the cosmetic look then I'd seriously firm York
Wow I wish York would actually let me know.

I'm gonna be firming in a few weeks etc and what if they haven't got back to me :frown:
Reply 1173
Original post by Productoflabour
Is any one else still waiting for Social Policy? It's been two, nearly three months! I'd take a rejection just to know at this point!

That's strange. I sent my application to UCAS at 20th December 2011 for Social Policy degree. Tbh, I was conditionally offered first by York at 16th Jan 2012. I'm applying through my HND Business(Management) with DMM result because I had two weak grades at A Level (geography, business studies) at D,E (seriously). Plus, I'm mature and had more than 5 years working experience.

My offers:
York - Conditional BBB (16th Jan 2012). Recently, I got a 6.5 band IELTS to satisfied their requirement = Firm/Insurance
Leeds - Rejection ABB (20th Jan 2012) = I failed my GCE Maths :colone:
Swansea - Unconditional BBB (26th Jan 2012) = Decline
Kent - Unconditional ABB (3rd Feb 2012) = Firm/Insurance
Birmingham ABB - (Pending up till now) = No idea

Actually, I'm in dilemma right now :confused:. To firm either York (1994 group) or Kent. Perhaps, both are very competitive, reputable and excellent research in Social Policy (RAE 2008 assessment) and high satisfaction in National Student Survey. Course-wise I slightly prefer York's course modules over Kent. But, Kent's location is much desirable and closer to London. I don't know :confused: if Birmingham (russell group) is better than those two in terms of course-oriented and dedicated lecturers especially in Social Policy subject.

It's better to hear from anyone who had experience about this.
Original post by LostHorizons
Is that for English as in Q300?

QQ31 - I'm doing English/Linguistics :smile:
Original post by Shomberlon
I went to an open day at York yesterday. My first impressions were not too impressed with the look of the building very 60s looking, but the insides are very different, its well equipped and the teaching staff (for history) were amazing. So if your not to bothered about the cosmetic look then I'd seriously firm York

Honestly, once you've been here five minutes you don't even really notice how hideous it is anymore. Especially if you live in a college like Alcuin/James so you get to escape the 60s-ness sometimes!
Original post by adeep
That's strange. I sent my application to UCAS at 20th December 2011 for Social Policy degree. Tbh, I was conditionally offered first by York at 16th Jan 2012. I'm applying through my HND Business(Management) with DMM result because I had two weak grades at A Level (geography, business studies) at D,E (seriously). Plus, I'm mature and had more than 5 years working experience.

My offers:
York - Conditional BBB (16th Jan 2012). Recently, I got a 6.5 band IELTS to satisfied their requirement = Firm/Insurance

Actually, I'm in dilemma right now :confused:. To firm either York (1994 group) or Kent. Perhaps, both are very competitive, reputable and excellent research in Social Policy (RAE 2008 assessment) and high satisfaction in National Student Survey. Course-wise I slightly prefer York's course modules over Kent. But, Kent's location is much desirable and closer to London. I don't know :confused: if Birmingham (russell group) is better than those two in terms of course-oriented and dedicated lecturers especially in Social Policy subject.

I think that you should firm York, i've heard very good things about their Social Policy course, but didn't even know that Birmingham offered it!

York is far more respected than Kent, and probably ranks over Birminham as well.

So I say Firm York and Insurance Kent.
Original post by adeep

My offers:

Yeah I know right, I'm a mature currently doing an Access to HE through Northumbria.

I have an offers from:

Bristol 33 credit at Merit or Distinction,
Birmingham 9 Credits at Distinction and 6 at Merit( which will most likely be my insurance as I can already meet this offer)
Brunel (thick sandwich Politics and Sociology) 30 credits at Merit or Distinction

Will be firming Bristol, be silly not to in my view, I am still waiting on York and Goldsmiths. Just waiting to see what they give me then choosing my insurance, most likely Goldsmiths if they give me an offer.

As for timings I got my offers within a week (I applied the 13th of Jan) of applying then nothing until now. I think that's why it's killing me. Not sure whether to contact them or not knowing that I will just get the usual "we're experiencing a high volume of applicants...blah...blah...blah"

Can't say about Kent but I know Birmingham has great links with employers and takes a really international view throughout the course. I guess it just comes down to personal choice in the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hannahbasx

I've got offers from both Leeds and York as well and deciding between them for firm - but leaning more towards York due to location and reputation :smile:
Original post by Historophilia
I got my january resit mark back this morning, now have A*A*A overall and i've told York and sent them my scanned in results slip. Hopefully that might make them hurry up a bit!

I have my fingers crossed you hear very soon, best of luck (though I'm sure you don't need it)! Well done :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest