The Student Room Group

Child Nursing Interview Help.

Hi,

I have 3 interviews this month at Keele, Stafford and Birmingham City to study Children's Nursing. I was just wandering if anybody knows the kind of questions that will come up? And any interview tips? Also what is best to wear? Don't want to go too smart and look silly.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Can't believe no one helped you with this sooner!

Just for future reference with anyone reading this thread...
I've been asked questions like
- why child nursing?
- what do you think the difference in roles is between a hospital nurse and a community nurse?
- why this university?
- how do you cope with stress?
- if you have a 12-hour shift and an essay to write for tomorrow; what do you do?
- how would you persuade someone to a certain point of view?
- what aspects of this course do you like?
- how would you deal with living away from home?
- how would you deal with a parent who's unhappy with the service they've been provided?
- what characteristics make you a good nurse?
- what are your strengths and weaknesses?
- how would you react to a violent/aggressive patient/parent?
- where do you see yourself in 5-years time?

(these questions were from different uni's than the OP's, I just thought I should share)
Good luck to anyone with any upcoming interviews, I hope you all get the places you wish for :smile:

xx
Reply 3
Original post by iXcorre
Can't believe no one helped you with this sooner!

Just for future reference with anyone reading this thread...
I've been asked questions like
- why child nursing?
- what do you think the difference in roles is between a hospital nurse and a community nurse?
- why this university?
- how do you cope with stress?
- if you have a 12-hour shift and an essay to write for tomorrow; what do you do?
- how would you persuade someone to a certain point of view?
- what aspects of this course do you like?
- how would you deal with living away from home?
- how would you deal with a parent who's unhappy with the service they've been provided?
- what characteristics make you a good nurse?
- what are your strengths and weaknesses?
- how would you react to a violent/aggressive patient/parent?
- where do you see yourself in 5-years time?

(these questions were from different uni's than the OP's, I just thought I should share)
Good luck to anyone with any upcoming interviews, I hope you all get the places you wish for :smile:

xx

Thanks for replying to my post! Yes they have asked a mixture of those questions that you have wrote there. Got unconditional offers at Keele and Birmingham City so far! Good luck everyone.
Reply 4
thanks for thos questions! was just wondering if anyone would help me on what the group interview will be like and then what the maths and english tests are like.. im panicking at the moment on what to revise for english and maths!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Naf*
thanks for thos questions! was just wondering if anyone would help me on what the group interview will be like and then what the maths and english tests are like.. im panicking at the moment on what to revise for english and maths!!!!

It depends which uni. I would recommend BBC bitesize for maths. Some unis will allow calculators, others won't. Some are online, some are paper. You won't need to revise for english. At Southampton we had a pre-read and for all unis I'd recommend reading up on current health issues. BBC news/health was useful as are reading the health news sections via the online newspapers. Dress smartly, look professional. Smile. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by agos
Thanks for replying to my post! Yes they have asked a mixture of those questions that you have wrote there. Got unconditional offers at Keele and Birmingham City so far! Good luck everyone.

Hello! I have an interview at Birmingham next Wednesday for child nursing :smile: I would be soo grateful if you could help me with what questions to expect etc!

Sasha
Reply 7
Hey, I had my interview here in January and it was by far the most relaxed and friendly interview that I had, the questions were relatively simple, just be prepared. There were several interviews going on at the same time with different people, I had 2 ladies, a nurse and a lecturer and they were absolutely lovely, the admissions talk in the morning is really helpful and they give you lots of tips for your interview. For a typical day I said I'd follow the patient's care plan, assisting with the needs of the patient, e.g. eating, hygeine etc. (research role of a nurse). As for a typical task, it could be taking bloods, checking blood pressure, helping feed the patient, monitoring the patient, google the role of the nurse etc and you should get loads to mold into your perfect answer! I got an offer about 5 days after the interview but they said I wouldn't hear until March! Good luck! xxx
Reply 8

Original post by agos

Hi, was just wondering how long it took keele to send you an offer? Xx
Reply 9
Original post by Lucy962

Hi, was just wondering how long it took keele to send you an offer? Xx

They said 2-3 weeks but got back to me within around 2-3 days. But my friend got an offer within around a week so I think it varies really. Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by ttotheay
Hey, I had my interview here in January and it was by far the most relaxed and friendly interview that I had, the questions were relatively simple, just be prepared. There were several interviews going on at the same time with different people, I had 2 ladies, a nurse and a lecturer and they were absolutely lovely, the admissions talk in the morning is really helpful and they give you lots of tips for your interview. For a typical day I said I'd follow the patient's care plan, assisting with the needs of the patient, e.g. eating, hygeine etc. (research role of a nurse). As for a typical task, it could be taking bloods, checking blood pressure, helping feed the patient, monitoring the patient, google the role of the nurse etc and you should get loads to mold into your perfect answer! I got an offer about 5 days after the interview but they said I wouldn't hear until March! Good luck! xxx

Thankyou so much for your help :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest