The Student Room Group

Another jobless graduate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by peasandqueues
+1.

Hopefully the fee increase will separate the boys from the men. Honestly - given that I'd have to pay in excess of 10k p.a - I wouldn't even bother going to uni if it wasn't in the top 20.

Don't even get me started on media or 'film studies'. pffffft.

(lastly- iron lady! after my own heart there :rolleyes: )

I don't know about this downer on media and film studies people. My friend who earns in excess of £200,000 entered by that route. My friend with a first from Oxford is a poverty stricken mess. Its about what people do with their degree and their personality and drive. That's what seperates the 'men from the boys'.

The real world doesn't always care that you went to the top twenty university or got four A* at A level apart from graduate schemes, which in truth take a tiny percentage of the graduate cohort.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by curious12
I got a phone interview at solicitors firm legal advisor/paralegal type job......so am bricking it. What will they ask me, how to prepare etc?

Hey that's brilliant. Good luck!! Youll be great. Don't forget you have actually been working and dealing with people. Let us know how you get on.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by yellofeeva
haha! i remember after a few interviews for telesales/call centre roles, i got invited for my first accounting/finance related role i was a nervous mess.

It's difficult but try to remain calm and relax. Look up competency based questions typically asked in interviews and prepare some answers for them. When answering a question, try not to go off on a tangent or answering with something different from the topic.

In my opinion, i think what landed me the previous roles was my personality (not bigging myself up here) but just try to be friendly, and develop a rapport as soon as possible. The employer(s) gave me feedback that they took me on despite my lack of experience and not so great qualifications(!) but they ultimately felt i would fit in and get on with everyone. I start my new role next Monday :smile:

Brilliant... well done you and good luck in your new job.

Original post by catoswyn
I don't know about this downer on media and film studies people. My friend who earns in excess of £200,000 entered by that route. My friend with a first from Oxford is a poverty stricken mess. Its about what people do with their degree and their personality and drive. That's what seperates the 'men from the boys'.

The real world doesn't always care that you went to the top twenty university or got four A* at A level apart from graduate schemes, which in truth take a tiny percentage of the graduate cohort.

Good for your friend - but do you not agree that maybe an english lit degree from Oxford may show just as good (if not better) analytical skills (by analysing a plethora of Shakespearean plays, watching films to cross-dissect) than just a media degree from Stirling?

You mentioned that your other 'poverty-stricken' friend went to Oxford, but none about the other - only that she studied media - not at what university...?

Of course I assume this friend didn't get her £200,00p.a job straight after graduation. I assume any work experience or internships she did after uni were highly commended. And thats the point here - no degree alone will set you up for life - but some will carry you a great deal further than others.
Reply 44
Original post by peasandqueues
Good for your friend - but do you not agree that maybe an english lit degree from Oxford may show just as good (if not better) analytical skills (by analysing a plethora of Shakespearean plays, watching films to cross-dissect) than just a media degree from Stirling?

You mentioned that your other 'poverty-stricken' friend went to Oxford, but none about the other - only that she studied media - not at what university...?

Of course I assume this friend didn't get her £200,00p.a job straight after graduation. I assume any work experience or internships she did after uni were highly commended. And thats the point here - no degree alone will set you up for life - but some will carry you a great deal further than others.

Hi,

I totally agree about the ability of an English Lit degree to develop analytical skills (I have one myself!). However that kind of point is an esoteric idea for the majority of employers. My media friend studied at Cardiff I believe. I do have friends with good degrees from good universities who have done well of course.

Of course no one one walks into a £200,000 job straight after graduating! It took some years for him to build up to that level.

I have nothing against great universities and traditional academic subjects. Neither do I have anything against more vocational subjects though and I was mentioning these examples just to show that it possible to achieve success with most degrees and most subjects if you have some focus and determination. It is easy to fall into the notion hammered into people at school that only one narrow path has validity or purpose.

You're not alone OP. There's loads of us in the same boat.

Graduated in July with a 2:1 in Accounting and Financial management (JUST!!), have applied to various schemes, got to the final stage of 4 and not got over that final hurdle for any. In the mean time I have been on the dole and applying for all sorts of jobs, KFC, pizza hut, factory work and all sorts but noones interested. Got an xmas job and have volunteered. Tried applying for accounts jobs like ledger clerks and the like but you need relevant experience and most importantly SAGE. Thankfully some bloke has given me the opportunity to do the Accounts of his small company on SAGE part time. So if I can get to grips with that I might have a bit more success when applying to Accounts related jobs through agencies. Which is the route I'll have to go to become a management accountant if I can't get on a grad scheme.

Guess we just have to keep plugging away, nobody said it would be easy! Well they did but that's another story
Original post by original_username

Graduated in July with a 2:1 in Accounting and Financial management (JUST!!), have applied to various schemes, got to the final stage of 4 and not got over that final hurdle for any. In the mean time I have been on the dole and applying for all sorts of jobs, KFC, pizza hut, factory work and all sorts but noones interested. Got an xmas job and have volunteered. Tried applying for accounts jobs like ledger clerks and the like but you need relevant experience and most importantly SAGE. Thankfully some bloke has given me the opportunity to do the Accounts of his small company on SAGE part time. So if I can get to grips with that I might have a bit more success when applying to Accounts related jobs through agencies. Which is the route I'll have to go to become a management accountant if I can't get on a grad scheme.

Guess we just have to keep plugging away, nobody said it would be easy! Well they did but that's another story

That's exactly the right attitude, you just have to be persistent. You'll probably find more agencies contacting you when you have Sage experience on your CV. Also if you don't already know, try to teach yourself intermediate/advanced MS Excel stuff like V ups, Pivot tables etc, because that drew more attention for me! Good luck mate!
That's exactly the right attitude, you just have to be persistent. You'll probably find more agencies contacting you when you have Sage experience on your CV. Also if you don't already know, try to teach yourself intermediate/advanced MS Excel stuff like V ups, Pivot tables etc, because that drew more attention for me! Good luck mate!

Ye that's something I need to do too and have been looking into. Been 6 years since I did pivot tables and V-look ups in year 11 ICT :tongue: Worth doing a course or is it easily self taught?
truth is i "self taught" myself, though i wouldn't have a clue how to apply it to real life practise! but at least you would be aware of it, that's how i see it, luckily no one has pulled me up on it...yet :wink:
So here's my story:

Studied law as a undergraduate, got a third because I resat Land Law and Equity Trust (due stress and all exams being on the same week)and got capped to 40% even though I got a 2:2 after I resat. So I was on JSA for 6 months (after graduating) until they put on guaranteed interview scheme, which I got a job at the Citizens Advice Bureau in Manchester on a fixed term contracts.

During this period I also volunteered at the same place as a legal advisor and still do. My job contract finished and now currently jobless (for 1 month now). I managed to get a Level 2 NVQ in legal advise while working at the CAB and still doing my NVQ 3. Learnt a lot of stuff while working/voluntering - admin to reception.

I been applying to COUNTLESS jobs, all rejection letters so far. Been applying for non legal jobs such as call centre,admin, random jobs. Am even applying abroad. Legal sector jobs don't even give me a glance. Ironically I applied for a training contracts but got rejected :rolleyes: (like I would get in :tongue: )

I figured a job in the legal sector is out of the picture for me due to my crap degree? What on earth should I do? I am trying to remain positive, but it is hard in this climate.

I seriously need a job....

Move to India
Original post by catoswyn
Hey that's brilliant. Good luck!! Youll be great. Don't forget you have actually been working and dealing with people. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for all your advice. The good news (and surprising news) is that I am have been invited for a face to face interview! Apparently their is a written test involved, but I didn't get much info about the contents of it. TBH I didn't think I would get this far.

Also thanks yellofeeva and original_usernam for your advice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Thank you for all your advice. The good news (and surprising news) is that I am have been invited for a face to face interview! Apparently their is a written test involved, but I didn't get much info about the contents of it. TBH I didn't think I would get this far.

Also thanks yellofeeva and original_usernam for your advice.

That's fantastic.. well done! I'm sure you'll be great at interview. Wonder what the written test is? It may be one of those test your reasoning things or do you think they will be testing your knowledge base?

Anyway, either way, let's have it be easy.

Wishing you luck

Reply 52

Isn't it odd how one can do a whole degree in something and they don't cover some nice emloyability friendly stuff like Sage while they are at it. Always puzzles me.

I've always thought management accountancy is really interesting work myself because of all the strategic skills it calls on.

Anyway, good luck with all your job hunting. Sounds like you are doing everything right... I'm sure it will pay off in the end.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
haha! i remember after a few interviews for telesales/call centre roles, i got invited for my first accounting/finance related role i was a nervous mess.

It's difficult but try to remain calm and relax. Look up competency based questions typically asked in interviews and prepare some answers for them. When answering a question, try not to go off on a tangent or answering with something different from the topic.

In my opinion, i think what landed me the previous roles was my personality (not bigging myself up here) but just try to be friendly, and develop a rapport as soon as possible. The employer(s) gave me feedback that they took me on despite my lack of experience and not so great qualifications(!) but they ultimately felt i would fit in and get on with everyone. I start my new role next Monday :smile:

is it accounting role or another area?
Reply 54
Original post by TomDixie
And how many graduates come out of Uni and get graduate jobs in their first year?

Not even half of my friends from Newcastle Uni, all of whom got at least a 2:1.

The job market is very tough for everyone right now. I've just got on a grad scheme, but I still have zero chance of getting even a minimum wage job in Liverpool

The truth is there's not enough economic capacity to employ everyone.

That's why I advocate a planned economy: and the possibility of a job for everyone.
Original post by DonJuan
Not true, good universities still have graduate employment rates upwards of 85-90%.

Lol, those stats are massively fiddled to falsely advertise themselves. I'm unemployed and they didn't ask me to fill that form. Surprise. :rolleyes: What 'employment' exactly? Flipping burgers? Silly desk role?
Realistic expectations, people.

The first two years after graduation are sucky for most everyone. It was like then when I graduated too.

Life gets very hard, real fast. Nobody is writing the cheques on your behalf any more, taxes due, bills/rent/debts falling due with very limited capacity to service them. Less disposable income, much less free time and much more stress than you had as a student.

Being a student is a cushy, not-very-responsible lifestyle.

On the upside, after graduation, you're now responsible for yourself. You have to move away from the shelter of other people shielding/providing for you, as they do at college.

The student lifestyle does not reflect the demands the real world makes. Colleges need to do a better job training people for the real workplace.

When I make my students present their final year projects to a jury comprised of local employers, they moan about the stress and difficulty. I say, what's your education worth, if you think you can't impress these people. Because very soon, you're going to have to.

The attitude of the students is interesting. Some appreciate the prep but others resent being made to step it up in this way. I shrug at their hostility and remind them, I don't give jobs after graduation. These people on the jury do. That's the way it is in the real world. Time to impress them. Not me. If you aren't competent to do that, at this stage, after x many years of classwork, you're going to be in serious trouble soon. I make them read boards like this and the media stories of graduates doing temp stuff years after graduation. Why not? That's reality.

Six months or a year later, after graduation, many of them write me to thank me for making this happen as the gateway to an interview/internship that got them their job.
Original post by Procerus

Insurance, i still have a desire to have a career in accountancy in the future, but the more i learn about insurance, the more i change my mind. You're an accountant aren't you?
Original post by Procerus

Hi.
I recall a post of yours talking about your bro? How long did it take him going the long way about becoming a Mgmt Accountant?
Reply 59
Hi.
I recall a post of yours talking about your bro? How long did it take him going the long way about becoming a Mgmt Accountant?

About 4 years I think, he graduated at 21 and completed CIMA and was working as management accountant when he turned 25

Quick Reply

Latest