The Student Room Group

Kitten and a flat?

Please tell me if you think this is a bad idea. I posted up recently, but I've now found somewhere else to live and its a first floor flat.

I really would like to get a kitten, I've found a few free ones looking for a good home, however since finding somewhere I'm not so sure. And I want to know what you all think.

So because the flat is on the first floor I'm considering that it may be ok to have a litter tray there all the time, but then put the cat out during the day. The flat doesn't have a garden and it is close to a road, however its in a suburban area, with lots of family homes (my small block of flats is the odd one out). And I live in York, which is never particularly car-busy unless your right near the centre.

Also I'd only be living there 6 months then its highly likely I'd be moving into a house with a garden.

Would this be a bad idea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are asking if it is fine to leave the kitten outside near a busy road during the day? you are not fit to own a kitten.
Reply 2
Original post by tehFrance
You are asking if it is fine to leave the kitten outside near a busy road during the day? you are not fit to own a kitten.

No! Obviously not until its old enough to go outside!
Reply 3
Also, I said the road wasn't busy.
cats should not be so close to a road if you have no garden! If you got the cat from a shelter you probably wouldn't pass their home visit!

If you're set on getting a cat if would be better to their welfare if you waited until you got your house! Also moving house is stressful on cats aswell and you'll be making the cat do it twice in 6 months!
Reply 5
Original post by xXHolly_90Xx
cats should not be so close to a road if you have no garden! If you got the cat from a shelter you probably wouldn't pass their home visit!

If you're set on getting a cat if would be better to their welfare if you waited until you got your house! Also moving house is stressful on cats aswell and you'll be making the cat do it twice in 6 months!

I would pass their home visit, there are many people that are given a kitten with the agreement that it will be a house cat if your in a flat. However I don't like idea of locking a cat up in a house, i think they should be able to go outside, so I was simply exploring other options.
yes you would pass if you wanted an indoor cat, but not if you wanted an outdoor cat

Cats are territorial and are likely to hang around the same area when they are outside.. if you let a cat outside your flat then his territory would be a road.. and as though pet lovers would like to hope they don't, most drivers will not avoid a cat, there is a reason why people in flats keep indoor cats

Also many cats need to be indoors anyway because of health problems or age or preference, one cat that I had loved being outside when she was a kitten and then she just changed and didn't want to but it wasn't cruel she did have the option to go back out so not all cats need to go out and are just as happy being indoors

If your that desperate you could consider a very young kitten, they can't go outside until they are neutered which can't be done until a few months of age anyway, 4 months is the earliest I've heard of a vet doing it, so by the time you get a house it will be able to go out :smile:
I would never let my cats out into the street, busy or not. I only let them into open spaces without roads (eg; park, garden, courtyard, balcony)

If you did get a kitten, you could keep it inside until you moved. The litter will be fine as long as you change it every day at least once. More if it gets very dirty. I change the litter for kittens I foster up to 4 times daily sometimes, depending how many kittens and how often they are using it.

Personally I don't let any of the kittens I look after go outside until they are around 6 months anyway.

If you REALLY want one, I'd say keep it indoors and then let it out once you have a house with a garden.

But honestly I think it would be more responsible to get one once you are settled into a permanent home and know you can accommodate one properly.
Reply 8
Can't you just wait 6 months until you get a house with a garden?
Reply 9
My flatmates all decided to get a cat against my will just before Christmas and it was the worst decision ever! We live in a flat so the cat has to stay inside (we are 4th floor) and she hates it! She tries to get out the doors when ever they are opened and tries to get out the windows. We are also moving to a house in a few months which will much better but it's horrid to see her kept in the flat hating it (i'm not a bad pet owner, she isn't my cat and they won't listen me).

All I can say from experience is that if you get one and keep it in the flat, it may absolutley hate it! They should always have an option to go outside and near roads (even if they're not usually busy) is still a bit dangerous. Just hold off for a while until you get the house, will be much better for the cat and they won't have to change their surroundings twice. Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by dcowan85
My flatmates all decided to get a cat against my will just before Christmas and it was the worst decision ever! We live in a flat so the cat has to stay inside (we are 4th floor) and she hates it! She tries to get out the doors when ever they are opened and tries to get out the windows. We are also moving to a house in a few months which will much better but it's horrid to see her kept in the flat hating it (i'm not a bad pet owner, she isn't my cat and they won't listen me).

All I can say from experience is that if you get one and keep it in the flat, it may absolutley hate it! They should always have an option to go outside and near roads (even if they're not usually busy) is still a bit dangerous. Just hold off for a while until you get the house, will be much better for the cat and they won't have to change their surroundings twice. Good luck!

I know exactly what you mean. I know some cats need to be kept indoors due to illness but it just makes me feel so sad cooping a cat up like that.
Reply 11
Original post by fabbykadabra
I would never let my cats out into the street, busy or not. I only let them into open spaces without roads (eg; park, garden, courtyard, balcony)

If you did get a kitten, you could keep it inside until you moved. The litter will be fine as long as you change it every day at least once. More if it gets very dirty. I change the litter for kittens I foster up to 4 times daily sometimes, depending how many kittens and how often they are using it.

Personally I don't let any of the kittens I look after go outside until they are around 6 months anyway.

If you REALLY want one, I'd say keep it indoors and then let it out once you have a house with a garden.

But honestly I think it would be more responsible to get one once you are settled into a permanent home and know you can accommodate one properly.

Yeah I think your right, I wasn't sure whether it was doable and considering everyone is saying its a bad idea I'm going to wait. Thanks for you're help :smile:
Original post by PlanetTea
Please tell me if you think this is a bad idea. I posted up recently, but I've now found somewhere else to live and its a first floor flat.

I really would like to get a kitten, I've found a few free ones looking for a good home, however since finding somewhere I'm not so sure. And I want to know what you all think.

So because the flat is on the first floor I'm considering that it may be ok to have a litter tray there all the time, but then put the cat out during the day. The flat doesn't have a garden and it is close to a road, however its in a suburban area, with lots of family homes (my small block of flats is the odd one out). And I live in York, which is never particularly car-busy unless your right near the centre.

Also I'd only be living there 6 months then its highly likely I'd be moving into a house with a garden.

I have had cats my entire life, and we live right by a busy main road. Most of our cats have died due to being run over, yes- but we had one cat for 14 years that died of what we assume was old age, one we still have now has been with us since 2005. We got a kitten last year, who was ran over about a month after us letting her out- she was very over excitable always running out into the road etc. The cats who have last the longest with us tend to be a lot calmer, and are house cats 80/90% of the time- they only really go outside to use the toilet.

Honestly, only you can decide if you want one- but im pretty sure you have to check with your landlord first (?!). Im guessing your at university? What will your parents say when you HAVE to bring it home in the holidays? How are you going to afford its jabs and all the other vet fees- you will want to get it netured/spayed- you don't need to be dealing with a litter of kittens when your a student. No, its not cruel.

The chances are if you pick one up of the street- they will be COVERED with fleas and disease.

Not to mention cat food costs us about £20 month for two cats, so £10 a month for one- not much, but surely you can find better use with that money??

If you REALLY want one, i suggest looking on Gumtree in your local area and getting one from a private household. That way there is more of a chance of you knowing its background.

But honestly, I would wait.
Also- if your picking it up of the street, how happy do think its gonna be when its cooped up?? Not at all.
Reply 14
id wait till you have a house not a garden... its cruel to leave the cat inside constantly and irresponsible to let it live next to a road in a city unless you want it flattened?
Reply 15
Dumping a cat out all day because you are too selfish to see its needs above your own is cruel as is keep a cat in a flat. There is no reason for you to have a cat, you are obviously not stable enough with housing at the moment if you are looking to move and you will end up giving it away. Just wait until you have a proper house with a garden and a cat flap if you are that desperate.

Edit; Another thing, you do realise most landlords don't allow pets don't you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Can't you just wait until you've moved house?

If you end up in another flat, but on the ground floor, then there are lots of options for putting in cat flaps - my neighbour had one in the glass of the front window.
Reply 17
Just wait. Wow. You're not doing the cat any favours getting it whilst you're still living in a flat. I'm sure you can wait just 6 months, then you can have the kitten you want.
Guys the OP has already decided to wait, you can lay off now.
Reply 19
Original post by PlanetTea

I know someone who lives in a top floor flat and has two adult cats. She lives on a fairly busy road, however she does have a garden. Do you not even have a small front garden? I mean it sounds fine and plenty of people do it but the cats would need SOMEWHERE green to run around, they can't just walk around on the sidewalks I don't think that would be safe, plus, they're animals, they need a bit of nature

Edit - just saw you're gonna wait, fair enough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest