The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lalafell

To do a PhD, UCL MSc Economics is certaintly one of the best options. To get a job, you probably get something less demanding.

Are you seriously suggesting that MSc Economics from LSE or Camrbridge will not be enough to do a PhD? That, say, students from these courses, or Oxford MSc Economics students for example, will be somehow disadvantaged compared to UCL MSc Economics students?
Reply 461
Original post by janjanmmm
Are you seriously suggesting that MSc Economics from LSE or Camrbridge will not be enough to do a PhD? That, say, students from these courses, or Oxford MSc Economics students for example, will be somehow disadvantaged compared to UCL MSc Economics students?

No. You misunderstood. What I am saying the UCL MSc Economics is more technical than the LSE MSc Economics, Cam MPhil Economics, and the first year Ox MPhil Ecoomics. And the exams are definitely harder as people have to revise everything taught during the year because people need to answer all questions in the exam papers without being able to specialize on a few topics.

But it is definitely less advanced than the second year Ox MPhil and the LSE Ecnometric and Mathematical Economics. I am not so sure about technicality between the UCL MSc Economics and Cam MPhil Economic Research. But looking at the content, it seems like the latter covers some more advanced stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 462
Original post by wadders24
Do you think UCL master's is tougher than LSE? I thought they were all pretty much as tough as each other?

Where can you get information on failure rates?

UCL MSc Economics course administrative website (Moodle).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 463
Yes, and I have noticed UCL to have strangely low student satisfaction ratings... Usually they are compensated by research/works published points, but gives one a food for thought.

That data is based on the NSS, as someone who is involved in the organisation and promotion of the NSS in my uni, I can personally attest that it is FAR from an even representative sample of students. Depending on the school typically more disgruntled students will fill it out than those in the middle of the road. A lot of it comes down to how good the university are at organising the NSS promotion to be honest.
Reply 464
All I know is that the UCL MSc Economics is held in high regard amongst academics. It's considered to be in a similar league to that of LSE. My friend had a conversation with an economics professor a few weeks ago now and he basically said as much.
Original post by Hanshen
All I know is that the UCL MSc Economics is held in high regard amongst academics. It's considered to be in a similar league to that of LSE. My friend had a conversation with an economics professor a few weeks ago now and he basically said as much.

Nobody is saying that it is "in low regard".
"Similar league" is also a vague enough term. You can be in a "similar league" and on the bottom of that league. How many schools are in a "similar league"? How are they ranked within this league? There are subtle differences, and from what I know (and I am economics student and did speak with my professors, too) UCL is a bit lower than LSE/Cambridge/Oxford. Maybe it is within the same league, but not at the top of this league, for sure.
Reply 466
Nobody is saying that it is "in low regard".
"Similar league" is also a vague enough term. You can be in a "similar league" and on the bottom of that league. How many schools are in a "similar league"? How are they ranked within this league? There are subtle differences, and from what I know (and I am economics student and did speak with my professors, too) UCL is a bit lower than LSE/Cambridge/Oxford. Maybe it is within the same league, but not at the top of this league, for sure.

You are an economic student in the USA, have any of your professors studied at any if not all of these institutions? Ours have, and continue to conduct research between the institutions.

By similar league, i would say level pegging, I would place LSE/UCL to be extremely similar in the quality of their MSc Economics programme. It is an extremely good MSc.
Original post by Hanshen
You are an economic student in the USA, have any of your professors studied at any if not all of these institutions? Ours have, and continue to conduct research between the institutions.

By similar league, i would say level pegging, I would place LSE/UCL to be extremely similar in the quality of their MSc Economics programme. It is an extremely good MSc.

School reputation is not country specific.
You are seriously suggesting that professors in the US are not aware of British schools reputations? They read the same economic magazines (most published in the US, by the way) and attend the same conferences. They are holding meetings deciding graduates of which PhD programs to be hired as associate professors. They are advising student on graduate programs on a regular basis, and then get feedback from them after the program is over, some even come back to the same uni as PhD students or instructors. Come on, give me a break, at the very least they know the subject better than you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 468
School reputation is not country specific.
You are seriously suggesting that professors in the US are not aware of British schools reputations? They read the same economic magazines (most published in the US, by the way) and attend the same conferences. They are holding meetings deciding graduates of which PhD programs to be hired as associate professors. They are advising student on graduate programs on a regular basis, and then get feedback from them after the program is over, some even come back to the same uni as PhD students or instructors. Come on, give me a break, at the very least they know the subject better than you.

I'm not entering into another futile argument with you. Do you mean to tell me that Economics professors from a mid ranked US university will know the ins and out about an MSc programme in the UK? Has your university EVER had a graduate of the UCL MSc economics programme? Or indeed Cambridge, Oxford, or LSE? Just out of interest? I would love to know exactly where they get this ready supply of UK associate professors, from the programmes we are talking about. Speak to people who know about the course, speak to people who know about Economics courses in the UK. Stop wading in with your 'prestige' arguments and base it on something more substantive, such as the respect these specific MSc courses have with their peers.
Original post by Hanshen
I'm not entering into another futile argument with you....

Yeah, right. It is always so funny when people say that and immediately do the exact opposite. Talking of irony :wink:

Anyway, I am not going to enter into another futile argument with you, and unlike you I actually mean it.
Reply 470
Yeah, right. It is always so funny when people say that and immediately do the exact opposite. Talking of irony :wink:

Anyway, I am not going to enter into another futile argument with you, and unlike you I actually mean it.

It was a closing statement, but glad we concur.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Everyone,

I hope this doesn't come across as a "What are my chances" kind of post. Basically my point is that we are all Economics students and I doubt any of us are the kind of people who feel they have the time to waste by getting false hopes and getting them ruined.

My situation: Average Middle-tier uni, 2nd year - 64%, 3rd year (Semester 1) - 77%.

I've wanted to do a postgrad for a while, but needed confirmation I'm good enough before I do. So far I've applied to Bristol, Leeds and Manchester for 2012 entry. I'm hoping to get into some better places, but I've got a choice: Apply now or for 2013 entry?

Basically there are quite a few things I'd like to do in a gap year between graduation and starting an Msc, including: doing GRE, Learning a language or two to a fair standard, getting a head start on an Msc by doing a lot of reading, and getting a job so I can live somewhere other than home during the gap year plus having some money for somewhere nice while doing the Msc.

So my question would be, am I kidding myself thinking I could get into Warwick/Cambridge/UCL by trying to maintain good grades during the last semester of my undergrad and trying to get a good score in the GRE? Is there anyone who has been in a similar position?
Reply 472
Original post by Fynch101
Hi Everyone,

I hope this doesn't come across as a "What are my chances" kind of post. Basically my point is that we are all Economics students and I doubt any of us are the kind of people who feel they have the time to waste by getting false hopes and getting them ruined.

My situation: Average Middle-tier uni, 2nd year - 64%, 3rd year (Semester 1) - 77%.

I've wanted to do a postgrad for a while, but needed confirmation I'm good enough before I do. So far I've applied to Bristol, Leeds and Manchester for 2012 entry. I'm hoping to get into some better places, but I've got a choice: Apply now or for 2013 entry?

Basically there are quite a few things I'd like to do in a gap year between graduation and starting an Msc, including: doing GRE, Learning a language or two to a fair standard, getting a head start on an Msc by doing a lot of reading, and getting a job so I can live somewhere other than home during the gap year plus having some money for somewhere nice while doing the Msc.

So my question would be, am I kidding myself thinking I could get into Warwick/Cambridge/UCL by trying to maintain good grades during the last semester of my undergrad and trying to get a good score in the GRE? Is there anyone who has been in a similar position?

You may have a good chance for Warwick. But I am not so sure your chance at UCL and Cambridge.
Reply 473
Original post by Hanshen
It was a closing statement, but glad we concur.

Interesting debate. But notice that the top five economic departments in the UK have their own strenghts and weaknesses. For example, UCL is the best in the UK (probably in Europe) in Micro and Microeconmetrics, but very week in Macro; it has the very best microeconometricians in Europ (e.g. Richard Blundell, Meghir etc), the best industrial economist (e.g. Armstrong), and some of the best game theorists but has only 3, 4 people responsible for Macro. LSE is good at almost everything in a balance way but particularly strong in Macro, Finance stuff.

Warwick has its strenghts in international macro and international finance and Cambridge is particularly strong in Game Theory, Macroeconometrics, behavioural finance.
(edited 12 years ago)
You may have a good chance for Warwick. But I am not so sure your chance at UCL and Cambridge.

Fair enough, I know of someone who graduated from here recently and got into Warwick, probably on worse grades. Also a good friend of mine from the same course got into Warwick Msc Finance this year with grades similar to mine but much better in second year.
Reply 475
Fair enough, I know of someone who graduated from here recently and got into Warwick, probably on worse grades. Also a good friend of mine from the same course got into Warwick Msc Finance this year with grades similar to mine but much better in second year.

If you apply to Cambridge. you will be competing with someone of totally different levels (i.e. first class applicants of the best universities in the UK and across the world); the quality of the applicants to UCL are generally higher than those to Wariwck but lower than those to Cambridge, Oxford and LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you apply to Cambridge. you will be competing with someone of totally different levels (i.e. first class applicants of the best universities in the UK and across the world); the quality of the applicants to UCL are generally higher than those to Wariwck but lower than those to Cambridge, Oxford and LSE.

Yes, but I think Cambridge seems somewhat lacking in prerequisites. Say, if I somehow manage to do extremely well on the GRE surely I stand some chance?
Reply 477
Yes, but I think Cambridge seems somewhat lacking in prerequisites. Say, if I somehow manage to do extremely well on the GRE surely I stand some chance?

Not sure but worth to try. Getting an extremely high GRE will never harm you academically.
Not sure but worth to try. Getting an extremely high GRE will never harm you academically.

I guess I'll have to get to work then. Thanks for your help!
Hey everyone,
I have a question. I got an offer for msc economics and industrial organization at warwick. i know the uni has a good reputation although im not sure about the program. is it perceived at a lesser degree than pure economics? and would i be able to do my phd at lse or ucl after i graduate? the thing is im only applying for ucl msc economics and warwick for this program. i havent heard from ucl yet and im starting to believe it would be a rejection. in case that happens, do i accept warwick offer or just wait for next year to reapply at UCL ?
any help would be appreciated.
thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending