The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tm00131
And at my stores, 95% of the time you go home and your till is cashed up later, so you never witness it being cashed up. Only the closers are there when it's cashed up and then it's late so you get on doing the close so you can get out rather than watch the manager cash up your till. It does make me wonder if any store actually follows every single procedure, I somehow doubt it.

First store I worked in used to do it like this. They never gave out retraining slips though, just took you in the office for a telling off. Second store was a company one and did everything properly. And the third used to let everyone cash up their own tills!
Reply 5941
Original post by Ronda
I'd also be very surprised if there was a store that followed every single procedure. What happens when you have certain people who get promoted who really shouldn't be. I try to push them in my store, but in reality, unless you have every single manager and crew trainer doing it, it's not going to happen.

We'd recently gone through a phase of making sure everyone put as little lettuce as we could get away with when dressing, and any that had fallen off Big Macs on the tray had gotten put into a tub next to the production bin to stop waste, but this happened for 2 or 3 weeks then just stopped. I kinda like the idea as well, but ah well!

I've got a theory that some of the procedures and standards are so high because they know that they won't be met all the time, so there is slack in them so if standards are below what they should be from a procedural point of view, they are still fine. And it means every store always has room to improve which will stop complacency which is good.

I put any lettuce which falls off back in the pot, as it's not been contaminated or anything, it just fell off, and there is no point wasting it. A few other people do it, but it's not a thing which is lectured into people.

Original post by moregano
First store I worked in used to do it like this. They never gave out retraining slips though, just took you in the office for a telling off. Second store was a company one and did everything properly. And the third used to let everyone cash up their own tills!

How can you cash up your own up till? You couldn't put it in the safe or cash it up on the computer.
I've applied for a part-time job at a Mcdonalds, does anyone know how many hours that would be? It didn't specify on the site when I applied. I used to work at a branch for only 12 hours a week and would like something similar at the moment.
Reply 5943
Original post by Moooooooose
I've applied for a part-time job at a Mcdonalds, does anyone know how many hours that would be? It didn't specify on the site when I applied. I used to work at a branch for only 12 hours a week and would like something similar at the moment.

McDonald's don't really do full or part time, everyone is the same. When you have your interview you'll discuss your availability - that is how many shifts/hours you'd like to work a week and when you are available to work. Shifts per week is more relevant than hours, as shift lengths are all different lengths and the scheduling manager will try to give you a certain amount of shifts a week. The shifts you work will be different each week generally, as very few people have set hours.

For example, while at uni I do shifts a week, and generally get given Friday 6pm-2am and Saturday 4pm-2am. However some weeks I might do Wednesday 3-11pm and Sunday 12-8pm. I usually get the Friday/Saturday nights though because I'm one of the few closers our store has. When I'm at my other store in the summer, I get totally random shifts though, I've had a week of closes, followed by a week of opens.
Argh!! So despite it apparently having been started I am once again scheduled to start while I'm at college and the schedule person isn't contactable till Monday which I will struggle to get hold of her on since the only times I'm free is during gap :/ I don't even know if anyone told her, and now she's posted saying that we can't contact the other managers if she's not available (which is only Mon/Tue and every other Wed). Oh why on earth did I ever get a job??

Sorry, I just needed a bit of a moan, and maybe some advice on how to tackle it?? I sent her a message on McTime but I don't know whether she'll check it before Monday :/
Reply 5945
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Argh!! So despite it apparently having been started I am once again scheduled to start while I'm at college and the schedule person isn't contactable till Monday which I will struggle to get hold of her on since the only times I'm free is during gap :/ I don't even know if anyone told her, and now she's posted saying that we can't contact the other managers if she's not available (which is only Mon/Tue and every other Wed). Oh why on earth did I ever get a job??

Sorry, I just needed a bit of a moan, and maybe some advice on how to tackle it?? I sent her a message on McTime but I don't know whether she'll check it before Monday :/

Can you go into the store and tell them? If your availability says you cannot work until XXpm then they can't just schedule you to start then without talking to you about it first. Perhaps it would be worth emailing the store amd sending her a McTime message as well which clarifies when your available so she has it 'written' down.

It's a bit silly having the schedule person away for half the week, and over the weekend when part timers may need to speak to her.
Original post by tm00131
Can you go into the store and tell them? If your availability says you cannot work until XXpm then they can't just schedule you to start then without talking to you about it first. Perhaps it would be worth emailing the store amd sending her a McTime message as well which clarifies when your available so she has it 'written' down.

It's a bit silly having the schedule person away for half the week, and over the weekend when part timers may need to speak to her.

Well, I'm working tomorrow, supposed to start while I was at college (again), but rang and going in at 5 instead like in theory is the time I'm supposed to be available from, so I'll have a word then I think, get it written down somewhere in the office so that she can see it on Monday, thanks :smile:

And yeah, it doesn't help that in the time I've been there (September) we've had 3 different people doing the schedule, but this is the first time I've had problems!!
Reply 5947
Original post by WdA04
Hey guys, I worked at Maccy's for over a year and want to leave for a new summer job. But first.

One job I'm looking at, it says 'Previous experience of working within a busy kitchen/catering environment is preferred along with a Food Safety level 2 certificate or similar'.

Obviously Maccys is busy and high pressured. But for the second part, I have the food safety orientation thing, is that the equivalent?

I also have the apprenticeship (NVQ level 2 in Catering and Hospitality) would that count as well?

thanks

It can't hurt to put it down, but I don't think the food safety orientation is the same thing. The apprenticeship has level 2 modules in maintaining food safety and food safety in catering so it could be worth putting that down. Bear in mind, you'll need to have your certificate, a new employer may not take your word in you saying you've done the level 2 apprenticeship!
Argh I can't work this much :frown:

I'm in 6th form 5 days a week, full time so only work weekends.

Now they're giving me too many hours :frown:

Next weekend, 11-7, 9-6, so i won't even be home most of mothers day

Weekend after, 10-6, 12-8

I'm 16, trying to fit all my college work around that, as well as working 16/17 hours at the weekend. I have no free time, and I think its gonna start getting me down. I've got exams coming up soon, and from my results this week, I really need to work hard.
Reply 5949
Original post by SortYourLife
Argh I can't work this much :frown:

I'm in 6th form 5 days a week, full time so only work weekends.

Now they're giving me too many hours :frown:

Next weekend, 11-7, 9-6, so i won't even be home most of mothers day

Weekend after, 10-6, 12-8

I'm 16, trying to fit all my college work around that, as well as working 16/17 hours at the weekend. I have no free time, and I think its gonna start getting me down. I've got exams coming up soon, and from my results this week, I really need to work hard.

How many shifts did you say you'd like to do per week? Most of the students in my store do 2-3 shifts working out at about 20 hours, and it's probably similar in your store, so that's why you've been given then.

But you shouldn't do more hours at the compromise of your education, I'd speak to them about it, I got 4 closes a week, two weeks a row, spoke to the schedule manager and said that i'd love to do that many from a money perspective but I'll fail uni, so could I go back down to two closes a week. He was totally cool with it. Hopefully your schedule manager is similar if you explain.

Can you work during the week? When I was at college, I did 4:30-11:30 (a close) after college once or twice a week, so I wasn't working so much at the weekend. Or you could see about working earlier/later on the weekends to give you more of the day to yourself.

When you turn 18 I recommend not doing what I'm doing, 5pm-2am on Friday and Saturday night, it destroys your weekend. :frown: but it gives me a lot of money to fund uni living costs. :smile:
Original post by tm00131
How many shifts did you say you'd like to do per week? Most of the students in my store do 2-3 shifts working out at about 20 hours, and it's probably similar in your store, so that's why you've been given then.

But you shouldn't do more hours at the compromise of your education, I'd speak to them about it, I got 4 closes a week, two weeks a row, spoke to the schedule manager and said that i'd love to do that many from a money perspective but I'll fail uni, so could I go back down to two closes a week. He was totally cool with it. Hopefully your schedule manager is similar if you explain.

Can you work during the week? When I was at college, I did 4:30-11:30 (a close) after college once or twice a week, so I wasn't working so much at the weekend. Or you could see about working earlier/later on the weekends to give you more of the day to yourself.

When you turn 18 I recommend not doing what I'm doing, 5pm-2am on Friday and Saturday night, it destroys your weekend. :frown: but it gives me a lot of money to fund uni living costs. :smile:

cheers, I know it seems like I'm complaining about doing not too much work, and I'd love to be able to work during the week or an evening, but then I'd definitely fall behind on my work :P

I leave the house at half 7 and come home between 4 and half 4 Monday-Friday, its quite far from my house, so takes a while to get there and back, which is why I don't work during the week.

I used to do one 8 hour shift, sometimes 2 6 hour shifts a week, then the scheduling manager changed and he's now started giving me more, as when other people are doing one shift.

I have sent him a message on McTime explaining about the exams and everything, we'll just wait and see what he says.

Hi i've just had my welcome meeting today and i have to ring up next week to find out my shifts. If i am unable to work the hours they give me i.e. i can only work till 10 pm but they want me to work until 11 or 12, are they flexible and can easily swap your hours to more suitable times? Also im working part time and i put down to do 15 hours on the job application form before the interview. Will this be the amount of hours i'll be working, or does it usually depend and that is just a guidline for them, cos they said that your weekly shifts always change? Cheers :smile:
Reply 5952
Saw the Fruitzzz BIB in the stock room and were getting it installed soon. Sounds like it'll be a nice drink. :smile:

cheers, I know it seems like I'm complaining about doing not too much work, and I'd love to be able to work during the week or an evening, but then I'd definitely fall behind on my work :P

I leave the house at half 7 and come home between 4 and half 4 Monday-Friday, its quite far from my house, so takes a while to get there and back, which is why I don't work during the week.

I used to do one 8 hour shift, sometimes 2 6 hour shifts a week, then the scheduling manager changed and he's now started giving me more, as when other people are doing one shift.

I have sent him a message on McTime explaining about the exams and everything, we'll just wait and see what he says.

Your education is more important, and it's good you put it before the opportunity of making some extra cash. You should only work what you feel you can do.

Original post by Canthinkofaname
Hi i've just had my welcome meeting today and i have to ring up next week to find out my shifts. If i am unable to work the hours they give me i.e. i can only work till 10 pm but they want me to work until 11 or 12, are they flexible and can easily swap your hours to more suitable times? Also im working part time and i put down to do 15 hours on the job application form before the interview. Will this be the amount of hours i'll be working, or does it usually depend and that is just a guidline for them, cos they said that your weekly shifts always change? Cheers :smile:

Your shifts will be in the availability you have specified. If they aren't then you can ring up and say sorry I'm not available then, and give some reason why. If your given shifts within your availability and your unable to do them, you might be able to swap (you need to sort that out though with others which will be hard when your new), but otherwise you've gotta do them - otherwise what's the point of specifying an availability. If you need a day off, book it off and if your availability changes, you can tell them for the next schedule.

So to cut it short, if you've said you can work til 12, and they give you a shift til 12, then they'd expect you to work it.

As for hours, it's a guideline. 15 hours will probably be 2 shifts, maybe 3 shorter ones. Hours will vary, I do about 18 hours, usually works out as a 8 hour and 10 hour shift or something like that.

What have you put as your availability?
Reply 5953
Did a £5.26 average check lunch hour yesterday! I know that will seem average, or quite low compared to some stores, but for a store that struggles to get the average check above £4 I'm quite happy with that! Had the highest too, and highest average check for the full day. It's quite funny, because between 2 and 3 yesterday, we served an extra 8 people compared to the same day last year, but we made an extra £500 over the same hour!

Also working full time as of this week too. Shall be odd working during the week. And I'm scheduled in kitchen every shift too, which isn't a usual occurrence! And in a couple of months time I should be going for my manager interview/oje which I'm slightly nervous about! It's the working in a different store, I'd be fine doing with it crew I know!

While I was in high school and uni, I did 6 hours on a Friday (2-8) after school/uni then 6-9 hours on the Saturday. I did finish school at half 12 and uni at 1 though, and I was only travelling from the outskirts to the city centre which wasn't too bad. It worked for me since I then had the Sunday to myself and could catch up on any work. I've always found the scheduling manager to not have a problem with it, and I could easily change my availability, and not coping with your uni work is a decent enough reason.

He will most likely be fine with it, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about!

You should have filled out a form with your availability, and this will be logged into the stores computer, and the scheduling manager will see this when they're doing the schedule. So, you should never really be scheduled out-with your availability, although mistakes do happen. They shouldn't have an issue with giving you a different shift if you're scheduled outside your availability.

If you ever feel like you're being given too much (or too little) hours you can always speak to the scheduling manager. They can then reduce your hours for you, or do their best to give you more if they can. And generally, you will have different shifts every week.
Original post by tm00131
Saw the Fruitzzz BIB in the stock room and were getting it installed soon. Sounds like it'll be a nice drink. :smile:

Your shifts will be in the availability you have specified. If they aren't then you can ring up and say sorry I'm not available then, and give some reason why. If your given shifts within your availability and your unable to do them, you might be able to swap (you need to sort that out though with others which will be hard when your new), but otherwise you've gotta do them - otherwise what's the point of specifying an availability. If you need a day off, book it off and if your availability changes, you can tell them for the next schedule.

So to cut it short, if you've said you can work til 12, and they give you a shift til 12, then they'd expect you to work it.

As for hours, it's a guideline. 15 hours will probably be 2 shifts, maybe 3 shorter ones. Hours will vary, I do about 18 hours, usually works out as a 8 hour and 10 hour shift or something like that.

What have you put as your availability?

Yeah i put down for available any time at weekends and during weekdays i can work from 4pm tuesday and friday and from 5pm every other week day. Im just worried in case they want me to work from like 4pm till 11/12 or if at weekends they give me a ridiculous shift like 12pm - 12am. I should have put down an end time i.e. no later than 10pm, cos by the time i get back home it's like 11.30pm and i have no time to do schoolwork or anything
Reply 5955
Original post by Ronda
Also working full time as of this week too. Shall be odd working during the week. And I'm scheduled in kitchen every shift too, which isn't a usual occurrence! And in a couple of months time I should be going for my manager interview/oje which I'm slightly nervous about! It's the working in a different store, I'd be fine doing with it crew I know!

Will you be working in a different store permanently as a manager then?

Yeah i put down for available any time at weekends and during weekdays i can work from 4pm tuesday and friday and from 5pm every other week day. Im just worried in case they want me to work from like 4pm till 11/12 or if at weekends they give me a ridiculous shift like 12pm - 12am. I should have put down an end time i.e. no later than 10pm, cos by the time i get back home it's like 11.30pm and i have no time to do schoolwork or anything

If you didn't put down an end time, then I guess they are assuming until close. What are the opening hours of your store?

Did you not sign a contract with your availability specified? Mine had a box for start and finish time each day and I have to initial it to confirm it's what I said.
Original post by tm00131

It's drinkable, but definitely the worst drink now :P
Reply 5957
Original post by tm00131
Will you be working in a different store permanently as a manager then?

If you didn't put down an end time, then I guess they are assuming until close. What are the opening hours of your store?

Did you not sign a contract with your availability specified? Mine had a box for start and finish time each day and I have to initial it to confirm it's what I said.

Just have to do the oje in a different store. Our ops consultant has ojes for crew trainers/managers at the busiest store in our group every 2 months. Never really had to do anything like that before, when I got promoted to crew trainer I got given the book then the test and that was that!
Reply 5958
When you go to a crew meeting do you have to wear uniform?
Reply 5959
Original post by craftySnake
It's drinkable, but definitely the worst drink now :P

I'll let you know what I think of it when we have it.

Original post by Ronda
Just have to do the oje in a different store. Our ops consultant has ojes for crew trainers/managers at the busiest store in our group every 2 months. Never really had to do anything like that before, when I got promoted to crew trainer I got given the book then the test and that was that!

Will be a good experience, I think the OJEs are good as they throw you in at the deep end and show how you handle it.

Same with me and crew trainer promotion, had a interview/discussion about it, did the SOCs/training I needed over the next few months while training one of the new starters for the verification and then was promoted. All pretty informal.

Original post by bronn
When you go to a crew meeting do you have to wear uniform?

Wouldn't of thought so, I've never done so.