The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stefwad75
It seems people are having a few VS clashes...I'm concerned that some of the firms I'm waiting on post-interview clash with a VS I already have...to the people who have a clash, are the law firms aware of your situation...or are you just trying to sort it out yourself? Are they very strict about the number of people they will take for each one so that you're unable to switch?

I wonder if it is anything to do with firms shortening their schemes this summer because of the Olympics, as posted by lawyer2be.
Original post by VacS
Hi all, when going for an interview, how many deals of the law firm is it advisable to know. For instance is one or two good enough within the practice areas that you have a particular interest in, or should one know deals within each practice area?

Thanks!

I just had a general awareness of around five or so in different practice areas. As I said 'general' awareness, nothing in-depth. I think it's more important to understand why the deal was important for certain parties and also relate it to you! Why is this interesting to you personally? I never had to refer to any of the deals in my interview though. I think they have better ways to grill you than to check whether you have remembered a few deals from the graduate recruitment brochure. I didn't think it would sound impressive to say something disingenuous like "I loved how you acted for X on their £1.38 bn acquisition of Y and specifically how ZG led the team on the B issue" :tongue:
Hi,

has anyone had the cobbetts interview/assessment day yet?
mines next week and i dont know how the interview will be structured... i.e will it be skilled based or more to do with law?

if anyone has done it already some feedback would be much appreciated!
anyone heard from Shoosmiths?
Reply 2864
Anyone else going on the DLA Manchester July scheme? Bit of a relief being accepted after the assessment day (which taught me I must never ever be put in charge of a chocolate company).
Reply 2865
Original post by username090
Im sorry to hear that, looks like they really swung the axe today.

Anyone had news from SJ Berwin, Osborne Clarke or CMS Camerons?

Applied to OC Bristol and invited to assessment centre and then partner interview. Got vac scheme with them :smile: Think they've made their decisions for London and Reading too.
Original post by moves_like_jagger
Just sent out the email asking for a date change. Left a voicemail earlier today but haven't had a call back yet. I am afraid that I am starting to look like a psycho but so be it... I need to get back to my other firm ASAP. *fingers crossed*

The firm I would like to change dates on only has 2 schemes - one easter, one summer. I've been offered summer and since they will have filled up the places on each of those I doubt if there's any wiggle room for me to ask to switch to the Easter one, so I don't think there's much point in me asking...what do you think?
Anyone waiting on Manches post interview...apparently they completed interviewing people last friday and are now beginning to make decisions so we should hear from them soon hopefully!
Reply 2868
Original post by stefwad75
Anyone waiting on Manches post interview...apparently they completed interviewing people last friday and are now beginning to make decisions so we should hear from them soon hopefully!

which firm?
Reply 2869
Has anyone received a pfo from White and Case?
Reply 2870
Has anyone heard from Withers? I applied close to the deadline for the Easter scheme and haven't heard back yet. I don't know if they'll consider me for the summer scheme even though it was my second choice, as the Easter one starts next week.
Original post by bravenew
which firm?

This was Manches vac scheme - London office
Reply 2872
Original post by Benny257
Has anyone heard from Withers? I applied close to the deadline for the Easter scheme and haven't heard back yet. I don't know if they'll consider me for the summer scheme even though it was my second choice, as the Easter one starts next week.

I had my interview there last Thursday, and got an offer for the Easter scheme on Friday. There were only six spots and they were filled on the day I was called apparently. They did tell me though that anyone who had put Easter as a preference would still be considered for the summer scheme if they had stated they could do it on the application.
Original post by VacS
Has anyone received a pfo from White and Case?

Not yet. But seeing as there seemed to be a spate of offers made the other day I'm assuming anyone left if in the "we'll get round to sending out the PFO email when we've got a spare minute" pile.
Reply 2874
Original post by Old Reliable
Not yet. But seeing as there seemed to be a spate of offers made the other day I'm assuming anyone left if in the "we'll get round to sending out the PFO email when we've got a spare minute" pile.

I wish they would just hurry up and send it, I am sick of sitting around with false hope :frown:
Original post by VacS
I wish they would just hurry up and send it, I am sick of sitting around with false hope :frown:

Same!
TLT interview! So happy :smile:
Original post by jim_is_alive702
TLT interview! So happy :smile:

Same! Any idea what's involved?
Debevoise anyone?
Reply 2879
Original post by Lord Wilberforce
Debevoise anyone?

Nah man, still waiting myself. Any ideas when they are meant to get back to people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending