The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5960
Original post by bronn
When you go to a crew meeting do you have to wear uniform?

You probably won't have to. I've never worn mine to a meeting, and managers don't wear their's to manager meetings unless they've been working. Best ask just in case though.

Original post by tm00131
Will be a good experience, I think the OJEs are good as they throw you in at the deep end and show how you handle it.

Same with me and crew trainer promotion, had a interview/discussion about it, did the SOCs/training I needed over the next few months while training one of the new starters for the verification and then was promoted. All pretty informal.

Yeah, the only thing worries me is being with people I've never worked with, cause I'm really shy. And I think a couple of people I didn't really get on with at school may be still working there, so hopefully won't be on shift. My BM said he'd make sure I was really prepared though, cause if I don't pass it he's gonna keep sending me until I do!

Yeah, I was having a PR and my BM at the time told me I was getting promoted and gave me the book. And once I'd done the book I got the test then the pay rise! I got the verification a couple of month later, and Despite being a CT for a year and a half, I still don't have one of the compulsory SOCs.. Been bugging my BM to get it done though, cause I really should have it for being an apprenticeship CT.
Hey guys!

I've been offered a full-time job at my local McDs (well, I think I have, anyway: no one has actually explicitly said "You've got the job", but I got an email saying "Congratulations" and I've got a welcome meeting on Friday, which, as far as I can tell, means I probably have... although it would have been nice if they'd actually thought to mention it :wink:), but there's something I'm a bit worried about & I'm hoping you can help.

I know that McDonalds doesn't have fixed hours each week, and I've heard a lot of horror stories of people who sign a full-time contract and then end up only getting, like, one 4 hour shift a week or something. Which would be half of what I'm getting on JSA at the moment, which is barely enough to live on as it is :s-smilie: Don't get me wrong, I hate being on jobseekers (and I only have been for two weeks!!) and really want to take the job, but I worry about hardly getting any hours and ending up financially even worse off than I am now! Is there really nothing in your contract to stop this sort of thing from happening, and is it really as common as people have been telling me? Why do they call it a full-time job if it's not?

Ahh, I'm probs panicking over nothing, but... yeah! Any tips or advice or anecdotes or whatever would be muchly appreciated :smile:
Reply 5962
Original post by calendarhead
Hey guys!

I've been offered a full-time job at my local McDs (well, I think I have, anyway: no one has actually explicitly said "You've got the job", but I got an email saying "Congratulations" and I've got a welcome meeting on Friday, which, as far as I can tell, means I probably have... although it would have been nice if they'd actually thought to mention it :wink:), but there's something I'm a bit worried about & I'm hoping you can help.

I know that McDonalds doesn't have fixed hours each week, and I've heard a lot of horror stories of people who sign a full-time contract and then end up only getting, like, one 4 hour shift a week or something. Which would be half of what I'm getting on JSA at the moment, which is barely enough to live on as it is :s-smilie: Don't get me wrong, I hate being on jobseekers (and I only have been for two weeks!!) and really want to take the job, but I worry about hardly getting any hours and ending up financially even worse off than I am now! Is there really nothing in your contract to stop this sort of thing from happening, and is it really as common as people have been telling me? Why do they call it a full-time job if it's not?

Ahh, I'm probs panicking over nothing, but... yeah! Any tips or advice or anecdotes or whatever would be muchly appreciated :smile:

Congrats! Being invited to a welcome meeting does mean you have the job, so well done! Unfortunately, McD's does run a 0 hour (what they call flexible) contract. But I think it's unlikely that they won't be able to give you the hours, they wouldn't be hiring unless they needed extra staff who they could give the hours too. In my store, the full time staff are fine for getting ~30 hours a week. The only exception to that would be in January when business is very slow and the scheduling manager has struggled giving them 20 hours a week. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's probably not something that will happen.

Also, if you do find yourself working, and a manager asks if you'd like to go home early, you can refuse. They'll be asking to save labour costs at times, and generally ask newer staff first as they're less experienced, but you don't ever have to agree if you don't want to.

Good luck with the job though!
Reply 5963
Original post by calendarhead
Hey guys!

Your contract will probably say that your hours cannot be guaranteed because of the nature of business, or something like that. And there is no differentiation between full and part time people, you all have the same contract.

It comes down to the store you work in. Some will give you consistent hours each week, say if you did 7-4 Mon-Fri, they might change it to 8-3 during January when sales are lower. Other stores have to cut hours a lot during the quieter months.

If your reliable and hard working you should get decent consistent hours providing you can be flexible and aren't someone who only wants to do 9-5 during the week. Other stores near to you may want extra staff sometimes too, and that can be a good way to pick up extra hours. But I wouldn't worry too much, it is likely to be fine.
Original post by tm00131
Will you be working in a different store permanently as a manager then?

If you didn't put down an end time, then I guess they are assuming until close. What are the opening hours of your store?

Did you not sign a contract with your availability specified? Mine had a box for start and finish time each day and I have to initial it to confirm it's what I said.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter now cos i rang them up and sorted it out :smile: and they aren't allowed to make me work after 11pm anyway cos im only 17.
Original post by Ronda
Did a £5.26 average check lunch hour yesterday! I know that will seem average, or quite low compared to some stores, but for a store that struggles to get the average check above £4 I'm quite happy with that! Had the highest too, and highest average check for the full day. It's quite funny, because between 2 and 3 yesterday, we served an extra 8 people compared to the same day last year, but we made an extra £500 over the same hour!

Also working full time as of this week too. Shall be odd working during the week. And I'm scheduled in kitchen every shift too, which isn't a usual occurrence! And in a couple of months time I should be going for my manager interview/oje which I'm slightly nervous about! It's the working in a different store, I'd be fine doing with it crew I know!

While I was in high school and uni, I did 6 hours on a Friday (2-8) after school/uni then 6-9 hours on the Saturday. I did finish school at half 12 and uni at 1 though, and I was only travelling from the outskirts to the city centre which wasn't too bad. It worked for me since I then had the Sunday to myself and could catch up on any work. I've always found the scheduling manager to not have a problem with it, and I could easily change my availability, and not coping with your uni work is a decent enough reason.

He will most likely be fine with it, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about!

Yeah I had my PR on sunday, and he just asked how i was finding it (was my first proper one since starting last July) and asked if I was happy with my hours and stuff, so I just said i'd prefer to work less, so I'm going to do one shift a week now :smile: after ive done these two weekends ha, hopefully anyway.

Hey guys, I need help!

Well, I've been working for 2 weeks now, during college etc. Now, I honestly am very stressed with college and work... and the managers are real jerks. I mean I get told off for not being 'fast' enough, and it's my 4th shift? I don't understand that. Anyway, apparently I'm on 3 week probation, so I'm thinking of quitting.

How would I go about this in a professional manner?

Thanks.
£3.80 an hour minimal wage? I could probably earn more than that walking around Central london and picking coins up from the floor.
Still, i never had a job at 15 so I can't really say anything
Original post by Squalleon
Hey guys, I need help!

Well, I've been working for 2 weeks now, during college etc. Now, I honestly am very stressed with college and work... and the managers are real jerks. I mean I get told off for not being 'fast' enough, and it's my 4th shift? I don't understand that. Anyway, apparently I'm on 3 week probation, so I'm thinking of quitting.

How would I go about this in a professional manner?

Thanks.

It definitely gets easier once you get some more experience, but if you want to quit then just tell the manager thanks for the opportunity but you don't want the job. The manager will understand that its nothing personal and it easy for him to hire someone else, there shouldn't be an issue.
Original post by jacketpotato
It definitely gets easier once you get some more experience, but if you want to quit then just tell the manager thanks for the opportunity but you don't want the job. The manager will understand that its nothing personal and it easy for him to hire someone else, there shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers. The pay is pretty horrible too, 3.75£ per hour.

Now to find some courage to tell the managers ;P
Argh! Been trying to contact schedule person since Saturday because of tomorrow's shift, I still haven't heard, she doesn't work Thursdays, wasn't working yesterday so what else can I do to get hold of her? I've rung twice and had no answer, messaged her 3 times on McTime (also messaged BM) :/ At this rate I'll just be ringing shift manager on the day to let him know that I'll be late because I've been scheduled wrong and schedule never got back to me. *sigh*

/rant
Reply 5971
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Argh! Been trying to contact schedule person since Saturday because of tomorrow's shift, I still haven't heard, she doesn't work Thursdays, wasn't working yesterday so what else can I do to get hold of her? I've rung twice and had no answer, messaged her 3 times on McTime (also messaged BM) :/ At this rate I'll just be ringing shift manager on the day to let him know that I'll be late because I've been scheduled wrong and schedule never got back to me. *sigh*

/rant

Best you can do is try phoning once again today to see if you can get tomorrow's shift sorted. If not then you're going to have to phone tomorrow morning to sort that shift out.

Is there any manager in that you can trust to let the scheduling manager know? Or try letting your BM know in person if he/she is in tomorrow? It is a bit silly for the store to only have the scheduling manager in 2/3 days a week.

I've got my manager OJE on 4th April. Which is less than 3 weeks! My BM had told me it wouldn't be for a couple of months, so was kinda shocked it's been set so quickly! He is gonna have a sit down with me to explain everything but it's scary!
Original post by Ronda

I've got my manager OJE on 4th April. Which is less than 3 weeks! My BM had told me it wouldn't be for a couple of months, so was kinda shocked it's been set so quickly! He is gonna have a sit down with me to explain everything but it's scary!

You're worried about an OJE? I got given my MDP folder 3 weeks to the day before I was meant to go BSM...now that's scary :s
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope

/rant

Do you not have any crew numbers that you work with?, if you can't make it in till later why don't you try and get the part that you can't do covered by either someone that might be finishing around the same time that you're scheduled to start or someone that's not working already and then inform. The shift manager for tomorrow what's happened so they're not left short when you say you're not coming in till later.
Reply 5974
Original post by TheKingLivesOn

You're worried about an OJE? I got given my MDP folder 3 weeks to the day before I was meant to go BSM...now that's scary :s

Well it's something that worries me :s-smilie: I have an interview with the ops consultant as well. I'll be working in a store with people I've never worked with before, which worries me cause I'm really shy around people I don't know. I've never ever had to do anything like that before, so yes, it does worry me :K:
(edited 12 years ago)
WOW , I worked over 20 hours last week , And I only received 20£ ?(First week working there)
Was that for the induction or have McDonalds screwed up ?

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5976
Original post by ChrisW123
WOW , I worked over 20 hours last week , And I only received 20£ ?(First week working there)
Was that for the induction or have McDonald screwed up ?

Thanks

The pay period ended at the end of Saturday 10th, so I take it you worked more than £20 worth before then?

It's likely you haven't clocked in/out correctly, perhaps you forgot to clock in after your break? Speak to a manager (business or assistant manager is best) and they can print out the hours you've been clocked in for and see what's happened.
Original post by Ronda
Best you can do is try phoning once again today to see if you can get tomorrow's shift sorted. If not then you're going to have to phone tomorrow morning to sort that shift out.

Is there any manager in that you can trust to let the scheduling manager know? Or try letting your BM know in person if he/she is in tomorrow? It is a bit silly for the store to only have the scheduling manager in 2/3 days a week.

Last week I got one of them to, but then trying that this week I just got told I needed to talk to schedule manager because they couldn't authorise it. I'm planning on phoning later as a last resort to get it sorted. And I totally agree, but that's how it is, and when I can't get through ringing on the days she's in I have to rely on McTime. Schedule's not up either for next week so I'm hoping that it will go up tonight and she'll get back to me then.

Original post by TheKingLivesOn
Do you not have any crew numbers that you work with?, if you can't make it in till later why don't you try and get the part that you can't do covered by either someone that might be finishing around the same time that you're scheduled to start or someone that's not working already and then inform. The shift manager for tomorrow what's happened so they're not left short when you say you're not coming in till later.

Nope :/ I'm not very close to anyone there, the only one I was has since moved to another store. The only person I could have asked to cover me is due to be starting at the same time anyway so it wouldn't be any help. Just checked and it's the same manager today as is tomorrow so hopefully if I ring later I can talk to them and get something sorted.

I feel really bad for complaining about it all the time but I'm sorta getting sick of it. At least shift manager tomorrow is the one that I get on really well with :/
Original post by tm00131
The pay period ended at the end of Saturday 10th, so I take it you worked more than £20 worth before then?

It's likely you haven't clocked in/out correctly, perhaps you forgot to clock in after your break? Speak to a manager (business or assistant manager is best) and they can print out the hours you've been clocked in for and see what's happened.

I clocked in right , And what do you mean by "the pay period ended at the end of Saturday 10th"? (P.S I got sent the £20 today :rolleyes:)

Reply 5979
Original post by ChrisW123
I clocked in right , And what do you mean by "the pay period ended at the end of Saturday 10th"? (P.S I got sent the £20 today :rolleyes:)

The pay period ended the end of Saturday 10th, so today you would only have been paid for any shifts you did before or on Saturday. And it's best to ask to see when you've been clocked in. You'd be surprised the number of people who do forget, I've done it before and I've been working here 3 1/2 years!

Latest

Trending

Trending